Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2017, 05:03 AM   #1
eth0

Drives: Yaris 2006 France
Please help with engine kicks!

Hello everyone.
Generally, I don't say sorry for my English level, but it is not my native language and despite the fact I speak well I am newbie motorist and I don't know a lot even in my native language.

I bought Toyota Yaris 2006 2sz-fe 87Hp in February and this is my first car. I have a minor issue that bothers me like a major one and noone can tell me what is going on there and how to fix it.

I recorded a video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byx...ew?usp=sharing
In the middle of the video I begin to push acceleration pedal and hold it at the same position to the end. The same thing happens even when I don't push anything.

This issue happens mostly after refuelling. I tried to filled not full tank, tried to fill more than full. Same problem. If this happens while driving, it feels like engine looses power for a second or two and than kicks and accelerating if the pedal is pushed. If I don't push the pedal, it feels like deceleration from the engine.. like when you use lower gear to stop without breaks, and than it stops deceleration and behaves as normal. After about 100km the problem dispersers till the next refuelling. I tried to open fuel tank to emulate refuelling without fuel when the problem disappears, it does not bring it back. At the same time if I'm outside the car, I can see black smoke coming from the pipe (unburned fuel?).

Some diagnostics info(from my eml370): 1. No misfiring cylinders reported
2. MAF sensor reports decrease and increase in air flow with the same pattern and I guess sensor works fine.
3. intake air sensor reports temperature without any big changes
4. After this happens, for a minute or two I have no error, but a problem (check engine led is not there) with catalyst efficiency because lambda O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 reported an issue. I guess it's OK because I can really see black cloud from the outside.

Beside that, I have a issue with vacuum level in fuel tank(can be related). The pressure is so hight that after opening the cap I can see little fuel from beneath the car and very load sound of incoming air in fuel tank. I checked all the tubes and I can't see any cracks, I guess this is from tubes connection because of the pressure. It is always at the same place, near rear left wheel coming from the top. Also I cleaned tubes that came to and from CHARCOAL FILTER CANISTER, NO.2 and temporary removed this filter because I had to order new one. Now there is a pipe connecting filter's in and out.

What was done:
1. I changed sparks twice since I bought it, all were black, all works fine.
2. Changed about dozen of repairman.
3. Computer diagnostics shows nothing. Just the fact that the problem is.
4. Changed O2 sensor 2 bank 1 because there was fake sensor with
5. broken catalyst that was replaced
6. camshaft position sensor was changed (not original one, but computer shows it working)
7. Charcoal filter removed, tubes cleaned.
8. throttle body was cleaned

I like Yaris a lot and I plan to go in mountains soon, but with this issue I'm a little bit scared. I searched this forum, googled with no success and I don't even have a idea what to check. May be someone can help me.

Sorry for such a long story.
Sincerely)
eth0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Sounds like a pressure buildup inside the fuel tank and when the EVAP system is told to purge pressure it's venting raw gas into the engine.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
eth0

Thanks for a reply. I thought about it. I removed a spring from the fuel cap and there is no pressure difference now. That solves the problem with extended pressure in fuel tank, but the car is shaking the same way.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #4
eth0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Sounds like a pressure buildup inside the fuel tank and when the EVAP system is told to purge pressure it's venting raw gas into the engine.
Thank you again, you were right. After reading and spending some time trying to understand how this EVAP system works and where are those parts in my car I came to the same conclusion.

But have you any idea what to do? I will clear all hoses tomorrow, will check them but how to get rid of the raw fuel in charcoal filter? and how to prevent it from happening again? I read that there should be some kind of mechanism to prevent raw fuel to enter the filter, but I'm looking at the scheme and there is no mentioning.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

It usually only happens on a full tank if you top it off. There's a check valve in the system to prevent fuel from entering the vent line but if it sticks or fails, gas can get sucked up.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
eth0

Quote:
It usually only happens on a full tank if you top it off. There's a check valve in the system to prevent fuel from entering the vent line but if it sticks or fails, gas can get sucked up.
Can you please help me to identify this check (refueling) valve? I want to remove the fuel pump to check/fix the issue if it is possible. I searched for a picture of my fuel pump (77020-0D080 item number), found some on ebay, not the best image quality, but I hope it will do.

The highlighted part on the picture looks like "vapour entrance", but I can't find any valve around. Is it inside?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (361.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (55.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

As far as I know it's part of the EVAP canister.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:32 AM   #8
eth0

Quote:
As far as I know it's part of the EVAP canister.

Ok, thanks a lot. I'll try my best to find it this week, hopefully charcoal canister can be removed. If I'll find it I will post some pictures, may be it will help someone else too.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 AM   #9
eth0

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to fix the issue. Three days ago Yaris just stopped in the middle of the road. There was no fuel pressure in the system, I removed the whole pump from the tank and found out that the bottom of the charcoal canister is missing ) and charcoal particles clogged in the pomp filter. Fuel pomp eventually died trying to bring pressure in the system. I had to clear the fuel tank from the charcoal and replace the fuel pump system.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
bummer.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote