Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
WankelsRevenge

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Tranny Fluid/Oil Drain Plug Questions

I finally got around to changing my oil myself the other day and noticed that he pan for the transmission fluid seemd to have a drain plug in it. Is it possible to just drain the fluid and replace it without dropping the whole pan?
Also I bought one of those magnetic oil drain plugs from pep boys and it didnt fit. Does anone know what size I need to look for when I got to exchange it?
TIA
Ryan
WankelsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Yes it is. Unknown about the mag plug size. I'm from Orange Park.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
WankelsRevenge

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Ill figure out the plug size eventually. Also any tips on how to check the ranny fluid? I know with some cars the tranny has to be in neutral and all sorts of other odd things, I'm not used to driving an auto at lal though so I cant remember them all. Also I changed my water pump a few months back due to my belt squeeling like crazy and that was the only thing I could figure to change as it was a new serp belt, and everything else (ac, ps, and alt all running fine) and it seemed to do the job, but now the squeeling is back again... any ideas on what could be causing this?
Ryan
WankelsRevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Check the transmission fluid hot with the engine running in park. Before checking move the gear selector through the range, pausing for 15 seconds or so in each gear. The dipstick on my Yaris is darker metal and actually pretty easy to read-better than the engine oil dipstick for certain.

I dropped the pan and changed the filter on mine. Refilled with Valvoline Maxlife ATF which is recommended (not by Toyota obviously) for WS apps. Took about 3.5 qts. Without dropping the pan the references I've found says it takes about 2.7 qts. My plan is to do drain and fills every 15k. Cheap insurance. Very easy to do.

If the squealing went away after belt replacement and now is back, it probably needs to be retightened. It's common for belts to stretch slightly with run in and need retightening. Don't over do it though, because you don't want it overly tight either.

If that doesn't do it check the pulleys to make sure there are no problems there.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 03-08-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: addition
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote