Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
ianpog

Drives: yaris
yaris hard starting when hot, fine when cold

hi there. Anybody have an idea on this? i have a 2007 toyota yaris. I'm having a problem on hard starting specially when the engine is hot.

it goes like this: when it's early morning like 7am, it starts fine. When i shut it off, then immediately start it, it's fine either. BUT when i drive it for like a couple of minutes, then shut if down. leave it off for 30minutes to 1 hour, then it will be hard to start. Then comes next day early morning, it fires fine again. I notice that if it sits off for like 8 hours +, it will start nicely no problem. but when it's off for 30 mins, 1 hour or 2 hours, (like when i park it when i'm going to the mall), it will be hardstarting.

hard starting, i mean like 3-5 secs before it fires up. I smell some fuel at times. Went to toyota dealer and they diagnose it, they saw fuel injector problem. i went to some mechanic, cleaned the fuel injectors, still the same hardstarting. I already replace the spark plugs, air filter, and a new battery. Still the same problem

Anyone can please help me?

thanks
adrian
ianpog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
MaXx0909

Drives: Toyota Yaris 07 hatchback
Hi, i've been getting the same problem recently, it never really did it to me during the winter, but now that it's getting hot outside, every time i go for a ride and stop for a few minutes and start it again, it takes me sometimes over 5 seconds. I need to do an oil change on my car so i'll bring it to the garage at the same time and ask them what it could be, hopefully they have an answer, have you gotten it checked yet?
MaXx0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Fix your hard start prob

Try this:
There is a product called BG44. Pour one can in your tank and fill up the gas. After it's been in the tank for a couole of days, get on the freeway and drive like you stole the car, and the cops are chasing you... I mean FLOOR the gas, and let it stay on the floor for a while. Then drive at about 40 MPH and FLOOR the gas again, so that it downshifts into passing gear. Do it a few times, and I'll bet the problem clears up. Not to mention, you'll feel like the power on the car is like it was when you first got it. If it is a manual transmission, drive it and really drive it hard... like I explained above, and you should get the same results. Good Luck!
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpog View Post
hi there. Anybody have an idea on this? i have a 2007 toyota yaris. I'm having a problem on hard starting specially when the engine is hot.

it goes like this: when it's early morning like 7am, it starts fine. When i shut it off, then immediately start it, it's fine either. BUT when i drive it for like a couple of minutes, then shut if down. leave it off for 30minutes to 1 hour, then it will be hard to start. Then comes next day early morning, it fires fine again. I notice that if it sits off for like 8 hours +, it will start nicely no problem. but when it's off for 30 mins, 1 hour or 2 hours, (like when i park it when i'm going to the mall), it will be hardstarting.

hard starting, i mean like 3-5 secs before it fires up. I smell some fuel at times. Went to toyota dealer and they diagnose it, they saw fuel injector problem. i went to some mechanic, cleaned the fuel injectors, still the same hardstarting. I already replace the spark plugs, air filter, and a new battery. Still the same problem

Anyone can please help me?

thanks
adrian
Your car should start promptly at all times. A first step would be to have the fault codes read, noted and cleared. Then drive around and see which ones return. This sounds like failure of the crank angle sensor. The usual senario is that the winding in the sensor is broken, but when cold the break makes again and will transmit a signal to the ECU to regognise that the engine is turning and to switch on the petrol pump etc. When the engine is hot the winding expands slightly the break becomes more pronounced, the winding goes open circuit, result, no signal to the ECU, therefore no start. The camshaft sensor can also do exactly the same, with the same result hence the need for the codes to be read to pinpoint the problem. If you post the code numbers I can interpret them for you.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Tte car DOES start! in 3-5 seconds.... Hard to have a "heat" problem go away in 5 seconds...
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
Tte car DOES start! in 3-5 seconds.... Hard to have a "heat" problem go away in 5 seconds...
Not really, classic symptoms.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
twalker
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but has anyone found a solution to this problem?
I have a 2011 Yaris with 45,000 KM and have the same problem "ianpog" posted. My car has done it 4 times in the past two weeks. The dealer couldn't find the problem, but found code p1604 and u0100 in the history of the computer. I still have warranty on the car, so if anyone has found a fix I'll pass the information on to the dealer.

Last edited by twalker; 06-16-2013 at 10:05 AM.
twalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
chaditotx

Drives: 2007 3dr hb 5sp
had similar problem with an old honda, and it was the gas cap not venting properly.
chaditotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
MaXx0909

Drives: Toyota Yaris 07 hatchback
Well, my car does still this, i dont know why and never figure it out. i`ll try to catch it on video someday. sometimes the car wont start, it will turn over but wont catch on, i have to let go of the key and then try again, and then the engine stays realllllyy low rpms (250) and goes up slowly
MaXx0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
Shenaaz
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris T1
My car does exactly the same, has anyone found a solution to this problem??
Shenaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I had a four stroke outboard do the same thing.

It was the ignition coil. It was dammaged by overtightening the clamp that held it. When the engine was cold it ran like a watch. But when it got hot it wouldnt start.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #12
ricardocanedo621

Drives: 2008 Yaris 2 dr Liftback
I had the same problem turned out it was the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. It was out of spec and had no trouble codes. I replaced it and no more hard starting and hesitation.
ricardocanedo621 is offline   Reply With Quote