Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Boost Addicted

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5spd, 2005 GLI 1.8T
Parts source for A/C line/pressure switch!

Hey guys whats up?

So my girlfriends car is at it again... A/C is inop.

I used the Launch at work to scan the Climate Control Module and came up with one code and diagnostic tree to which I found the source of the problem... The A/C High/Low pressure cutoff switch.

I've called Advance Auto, NAPA, even Toyota, but nobody sells one. At this point I'm assuming the switch only comes WITH the high side A/C line?

So far I can't find anywhere that sells one, except Toyota, and they want $227 even with my 'technician discount'.

Is there a place I can buy just the sensor?

Is there a cheaper source for the line?? Does anyone know if the sensor even comes with the line?

Thanks guys
Boost Addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Besides the sensor being bad, that code (1423) can also be output if the pressure is extremely low or extremely high, so, if the system is low on coolant it can be output.

I don't see a part number for the pressure sensor in the EPC, so it looks like it is part of the high pressure tube assembly.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Boost Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Besides the sensor being bad, that code (1423) can also be output if the pressure is extremely low or extremely high, so, if the system is low on coolant it can be output.

I don't see a part number for the pressure sensor in the EPC, so it looks like it is part of the high pressure tube assembly.
Thanks for the reply!!

Here's what I tested if you're interested:

- Recovered all refrigerant - total recovery yielded .65lbs (out of .86 capacity). Suspected a leak but failed to find one with UV dye and an R-134a sniffer.

- Tested resistance in the compressor coil and harness (was in spec).

- Tested harness for high/low pressure cutoff switch - Had 5v (spec) between terminals 1 and 3.

- Recharged A/C system with .86lbs and 1oz oil/dye.

After recharge, A/C still wouldn't come on.

Scanned the Climate Control Unit and that's when I found the 1423 - Tried to clear the code thinking it was from low refrigerant, but wouldn't clear, so there must be an issue with the sensor itself, no?

The sensor does have a part number, but it's a Denso part number (499000-7880). Unfortunately Toyota shares that same number, but it's not an A/C switch, it's an oil pressure sensor...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That's some comprehensive troubleshooting and it definitely points to the sensor itself being faulty.

Googling that Denso part number does show it to also be a Toyota AC pressure sensor, so if you can track one of them down that would likely be far less expensive than buying the $200 pressure tube A assembly from Toyota.

Makes me wish I didn't just throw away the AC lines when I pulled the cracked AC compressor off of Crashy.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Boost Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That's some comprehensive troubleshooting and it definitely points to the sensor itself being faulty.

Googling that Denso part number does show it to also be a Toyota AC pressure sensor, so if you can track one of them down that would likely be far less expensive than buying the $200 pressure tube A assembly from Toyota.

Makes me wish I didn't just throw away the AC lines when I pulled the cracked AC compressor off of Crashy.
Awww man, you didn't?!

I would've sent you $100 cash for that piece lol

Through Toyota, with my ''tech discount'', the line is still $227

Insanity...

But hey, thanks for your input and confirmation. Good to know someone else thinks it's a faulty sensor too! Unfortunately though, I even went to Denso's site and still cant find that sensor by itself

Any way you can be sure the sensor comes with the line? I found an aftermarket company who makes the line for $169 but I don't wanna order it just to find out it doesn't have the real piece I'm after.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Addicted View Post
Awww man, you didn't?!

I would've sent you $100 cash for that piece lol

Through Toyota, with my ''tech discount'', the line is still $227

Insanity...

But hey, thanks for your input and confirmation. Good to know someone else thinks it's a faulty sensor too! Unfortunately though, I even went to Denso's site and still cant find that sensor by itself

Any way you can be sure the sensor comes with the line? I found an aftermarket company who makes the line for $169 but I don't wanna order it just to find out it doesn't have the real piece I'm after.

Unfortunately the EPC is not so good about showing certain details, like this. I would check with a Toyota parts department to see if they can tell you for sure. I would bet that the aftermarket line doesn't include the sensor, but there again it would be worth checking with the manufacturer if you can track them down.

Another option is the junk yard route. www.car-parts.com is a great database of junkyards.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
so is this 499000-7880 the right part for low pressure sensor switch?? thanks

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
thetut

Drives: 2007 4dr sedan
Is it possible that Toyota uses the same sensor for both Oil and A/C pressure?

There's an Ebay listing from the UK that calls it an A/C sensor and it looks almost identical to a listing for the Oil pressure switch.
thetut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetut View Post
Is it possible that Toyota uses the same sensor for both Oil and A/C pressure?

There's an Ebay listing from the UK that calls it an A/C sensor and it looks almost identical to a listing for the Oil pressure switch.
No. The AC is a pressure transducer and the oil is a simple pressure switch.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
marcus
toyota

ok i got a pressure switch my buddy from toyota gave me one, looks the same but dunno if it is? next is to switch it then vacuum the line then refill,, ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 Pictures 2560.jpg (35.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 2011 Pictures 2561.jpg (60.4 KB, 124 views)

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
ok i got a pressure switch my buddy from toyota gave me one, looks the same but dunno if it is? next is to switch it then vacuum the line then refill,, ..
The shape and connector width look correct. Can you see the Denso part number on one of the flats of the hex section?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
marcus
toyota

Part # looks different hard to see the one on the car right now looks like a Q and and a number even with flashlight I can't make it out..

Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Part # looks different hard to see the one on the car right now looks like a Q and and a number even with flashlight I can't make it out..
Just look at the new one. The Denso part number should be: 499000-7880
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
marcus
toyota

part# showing is 499000-7141 seems to be the right part# for a/c pressure switch the 499000-7880 is oil pressure switch.

Last edited by marcus; 06-27-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
part# showing is 499000-7141 seems to be the right part# for a/c pressure switch the 499000-7880 is oil pressure switch.
That's on Asian distributor sites and not via Toyota. The Denso part number on my 09 is 499000-7880. Both sensors are probably about the same, but have some characteristic that is different. It could even be something like voltage range, where the 499000-7880 is a 5V sensor (on the Yaris) and the 499000-7141 may be an equivalent sensor, but for 12V operation.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
marcus
toyota

well lets hope this works..guy fr toyota gave me 2 sensor one has 2 prongs and this one which matches the yaris.. they said they only use this 2 sensors so this should work lets just hope sensor is still good.. toyota will do it for $100 buck plus tax to replace this sensor , vacuum, and refill..

Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
well lets hope this works..guy fr toyota gave me 2 sensor one has 2 prongs and this one which matches the yaris.. they said they only use this 2 sensors so this should work lets just hope sensor is still good.. toyota will do it for $100 buck plus tax to replace this sensor , vacuum, and refill..
The 2 pin one is definitely no good. I have a feeling that the 3 pin one you have will work. I just checked the Camry service manual (which is what that sensor is supposedly for) and the sensor pinout is the same and the voltage ratings at equal pressures are the same.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
marcus
toyota

ok i think im good to go..just dont have $100 yet to spend..