Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Marketplace > Willing to Buy by private party
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
dirkpitt73

Drives: Land Cruiser / Pilot
looking for a new SE manual transmission

I like the SE but would really prefer the manual transmission. I can't seem to find any in Texas or even surrounding states, closest according to cars.com appears to be CO or AZ. I've asked a few local dealers and they basically don't want to deal with it, say it's almost impossible to get. Any advice? Any manual transmission SE owners out there that can validate it's worth it to go to this trouble?
dirkpitt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Chifte

Drives: 2012 Yaris
They don't want to deal with it? Go to different dealers, I can't believe a dealership wouldn't want to make a buck, the one I work at will go anywhere in the U.S to get a customer a car they desire. But then again, you also need the cooperation of the other dealership your dealer is trying to retrieve it from.

At first I didn't think the SE even came as a manual, as I've never seen one come in, but after seeing reviews apparently Toyota does offer it.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
etherdude

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed
I have a 2012 SE Manual. Love IT! It is fun to drive. Shifting is solid and the clutch action is good. Most important mod is the TRD rear sway bar. Stock wheels, tires, springs, brakes, and shocks are a great compromise for spirited driving. More rear roll stiffness is just the ticket. You can drive the crap out of it and get 35-37 mpg or baby it just a bit and get up to 40. I DON'T hypermile mine, so the best mileage I have gotten in normal driving is about 40,2 mpg, but I consistently get 37.5-39.5 on summer gas and 35-37 on winter gas.
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chifte View Post
They don't want to deal with it? Go to different dealers, I can't believe a dealership wouldn't want to make a buck, the one I work at will go anywhere in the U.S to get a customer a car they desire. But then again, you also need the cooperation of the other dealership your dealer is trying to retrieve it from.

At first I didn't think the SE even came as a manual, as I've never seen one come in, but after seeing reviews apparently Toyota does offer it.
Yeah, they are definitely available as new member cathycnm in Colorado put a deposit on a 5-speed manual SE (but may have to go with a Fit because of delays re the storms in Colorado, other unrelated shipping issues, and needing to deliver her current car to the friend (out of town) she sold it to...the SE may not arrive in time).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt73 View Post
I like the SE but would really prefer the manual transmission. I can't seem to find any in Texas or even surrounding states, closest according to cars.com appears to be CO or AZ. I've asked a few local dealers and they basically don't want to deal with it, say it's almost impossible to get. Any advice? Any manual transmission SE owners out there that can validate it's worth it to go to this trouble?
I've done the same search you did every 6 months or so since the first arrival of the SE (automatics in stock then). Each time I had the same end result you did. I've read some posts here on YW written by 5-speed manual SE owners and I think all of them felt the hoops they had to jump through were worth the trouble. I don't know which keywords would be best to use to bring up some of those posts...perhaps one such owner will see this thread and chime in. I don't think I've ever seen an automatic SE at a Toyota dealership in Texas without the (included factory OPTION) 'tinted glass'...so If you do require that, you might not want to go outside the area served by Gulf States (the distributor in Texas and other (which ones?) nearby states), or another distributor with the same policy.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
dirkpitt73

Thanks all, great information here. Only makes me want the SE 5-speed more! I'd be happy to take tinted glass or any other reasonable option to get one in TX. I have contacted 5 dealers so far and none of them can locate one. I have a leasing company looking, they have direct access to GST inventory and other inventory, so crossing my fingers they can locate one and the transportation isn't outrageous. Funny, in Googling I found a facebook thread where a frustrated customer in the same boat berated GST for not being able to deliver a standard trim level car - I mean, if it's on Toyota's website as an option, why can't I actually buy one or even put a deposit down on one? Makes no sense. I hope the dealer network goes away some day and you can order direct from the manufacturer like Tesla does.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
There must be very few customers for the SE 5 speed . I would consider resale value before I bought a manual transmission. Just my 2 cents.
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron3 View Post
There must be very few customers for the SE 5 speed . I would consider resale value before I bought a manual transmission. Just my 2 cents.
resale value is going to be good on a yaris even if it is a manual. besides, the manual starts out cheaper anyway. it is doubtful that anybody who really wants to drive a stick is going to be dissuaded by the minor hit in resale value.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron3 View Post
Then again the people in the market for a used manual would likely pay a bit more since they seem to be so rare.

Personally, I think everyone should be required to learn how to drive a manual transmission before they set foot in an automatic. I believe it makes people better drivers.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
it is doubtful that anybody who really wants to drive a stick is going to be dissuaded by the minor hit in resale value.
Especially with the 5-speed SE. It is such a specific, deliberate choice.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Then again the people in the market for a used manual would likely pay a bit more since they seem to be so rare.
^^^^^ This

Quote:
Personally, I think everyone should be required to learn how to drive a manual transmission before they set foot in an automatic. I believe it makes people better drivers.
I know we are on the same page on this. I typed something somewhat similar on a long ago thread and the first reply was from you -- something like 'you nailed it'.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
chocolab

Drives: bmw
I'm in Texas too and a few months ago a dealership in Santa Fe NM had a black one... But last time I looked, it was gone.

I wonder if for whatever reason the Gulf States Toyota region, of which Texas is a member, doesn't get as many manuals. Occasionally I've surfed around for an S Corolla manual and can never find one except in Kansas (or Missouri?) which is in a different region. (As is New Mexico.)
chocolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Mine is for sale if you're interested.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
devananne

Drives: 2013 Yaris SE
I got one, but it was back in February. There were two in my area (out of ~5 dealerships). I have occasionally checked in on my dealer, and they have not gotten another one since. He gave me a great deal on it I think because he just wanted to get it off the lot.

This is my first manual, so I guess I don't have much to compare it to, but I love it. Just adds the "power" that really gets the little guy going! The three things I wouldn't compromise on was MT, cruise control, and 4 doors. Definitely love my car, good luck in your search :)
devananne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
The closest place to the Pacific NW that you used to be able to get a 5-sped SE was Sacramento, but even that seems to be impossible these days.

The stories I've heard are that if your region does not sell the MT SE you cannot get one. Period. I don't know if that's been the case with everyone, but from every story I've heard, that's the case.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
YeOldScallywag
Small Car Enthusiast

Drives: Red '12 Yaris SE Hatch
There is one in Las Vegas... I Drive one myself

I currently drive a 2012 Yaris SE MT and I love it. It is my favorite car to drive. I can tell you that there is one more available at the dealership that I purchased mine from. It is a black 2012 Yaris SE MT brand new. The salesman I worked with is awesome. I can put you in contact with him if you like.
YeOldScallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
dirkpitt73

Thanks all, as much as I wanted a MT Yaris the price/logistics of getting a manual just didn't add up. I ended up getting a 2013 Mazda2 MT for about $12,900, significantly less than even a stripper Yaris. I would have preferred a Yaris SE, but GST doesn't think us folks in Texas want a MT and I could not find a single dealer (contacted 5-6) that would submit a special order request (or whatever they call it), even for a 3-door L MT which one dealer said they might be able to get but then backed off that. Mazda seems to have plenty of MTs and I have to say the Mazda2 is a nice car, handles well and the transmission is smooth.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt73 View Post
Thanks all, as much as I wanted a MT Yaris the price/logistics of getting a manual just didn't add up. I ended up getting a 2013 Mazda2 MT for about $12,900, significantly less than even a stripper Yaris. I would have preferred a Yaris SE, but GST doesn't think us folks in Texas want a MT and I could not find a single dealer (contacted 5-6) that would submit a special order request (or whatever they call it), even for a 3-door L MT which one dealer said they might be able to get but then backed off that. Mazda seems to have plenty of MTs and I have to say the Mazda2 is a nice car, handles well and the transmission is smooth.
If you ever see this, let us know what you are getting re MPG on the Mazda 2. Good Luck .