Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
xb visitor

Drives: scion xb
CHEAP Clutch thoughts and questions

Okay, I don't want to open a can O' worm on my 3rd post here, so lets keep this to only indaviduals whom actually have 1st hand experience. As Im fed up with the rice-boys on Scioin forums. whom think everything has to cost top dollar.

Im looking for a clutch,as you know with 18" wheels the stock unit doesn't fare too well under aggressive driving. 18s look too dammned good to go away! So obviously any stock TOYOTA clutch...is practically worthless. Now heres the rub..it seems most after market clutches run close to $ 300.00 for a motor that makes what 100h.p? on a good day

Ive been researching clutches for a year or more & rad a lot on a lot of forums. Now we get to the topic of E-bay and XTD clutches shere stage 1 and 2 versions seem to appear to have sprung centers,just like all the other brands, the material,im not sure about but its listed as the same as other FAR more expensive brands...what is the difference? if any. Ive rad good things,from people whom have used them on turbo, boosted HONDAS with good lasting results,Almost all of the bad reviews seem to come from "oh my friends, or I knew of some dude". I do wonder about the pressure plate as to weather its legitimate or not? and if that's the issue with the stock clutch from TOYOTA or just the basic fact that the design of this engine...is geared toward small components designed for a Asian market totally unlike American roadways.
So does any one have 1st hand experience" not hearsay" with a basic XEDEY clutch or the XTD brand.. the reason I ask is Id like to utilize a lightweight flywheel witch is expensive..I don't want to spend another & 300.00 for a clutch to boot. IMO personal opinion..I need a clutch just a little bit stronger than what was originally offered. TRD version may say is same as stock..but I don't know..theres no real way to tell the difference on many of the clutches.
one last question the THROWOUT BEARINGS The stock has a reputation of being short lived and mine has been noisy as hell since I had 40k on the car..now I have 130,000 it sounds like a hamster wheel marbles & coathangers now Can I trust a aftermarket version..does anyone know factual info regarding any brand preference,Or are most probably all made in CHINA to the same standard as the originals are?
I want to get this right ..without spending a small fortune. I never thought in my life that shops would want to charge $700.00 to $1200.00 just for a clutch..You can do a HONDA for $300.00 all day all night. Id do it my self but have been told by many many Enthusiasts...don't do it! Ive read too many horror stories of huge efforts gone unrewarded attempting it at home
Any repy, suggestions or referrals ,estimates on labor welcomed , I'm in So Cal. The clutch is ready to give up the ghost real ....soon I cant wait to see if there is even anything left once its opened up...lol
xb visitor is offline   Reply With Quote