Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
eablola69

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4-door Hatch
Strut Mounts / Supports Visual Indicators

Hi Guys:

I was checking the service manual and can't seem to find a section that provides a visual check/indicator whether the strut rubber top mount is due for replacement or not. Would anyone here has like a guide for visual inspection?

Reason for asking is the OE strut rubber mounts are not exactly cheap and if I only need to replace the bearing...it would be a waste for me to buy new top mounts if the top mounts are not for replacement.

Thanks in advance.
eablola69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
To inspect them you really need to remove the strut assembly. Once it is out you will look for the condition of the rubber. If they are dry and cracked your will want to replace them. If they are not cracked and are still flexible, then you do not need to.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
what ever you do, do not remove the center nut on the top of the strut without having it securely mounted in a spring clamp.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
eablola69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
To inspect them you really need to remove the strut assembly. Once it is out you will look for the condition of the rubber. If they are dry and cracked your will want to replace them. If they are not cracked and are still flexible, then you do not need to.
Yes ofcourse it will have to be removed to inspect it. Thanks CTSCOTT.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
eablola69

So, I finally got the time to do the change. I eventually changed the whole top mount kit which consist of the bearing, the rubber top mount and the top mount retainer (the one you see when you open the hood).

Anyone wishing to do the same, I recommend buying the whole kit and not doing piece by piece replacement - you'll save time and money this way.

Here's some photographs (attached) of the used vs the new ones for everyone's reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140326_092700.jpg (216.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 20140326_092711.jpg (160.9 KB, 67 views)