Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-02-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Question Where can I get these connectors ?

Hello all

Some of you may know I am doing a meter swap in my car. I need to get the connectors as my JDM one has slightly different wiring.

Where can I get the connectors, both the male and female variants. (housing and crimp pins) could I get them of digikey/element14 ? they seem to be made by AMP. (refer to 1st picture for what I am after)

Secondly, where can I get this splice thingy ? what is its correct name and its specification (if any) ? [see second pic circled item]

THanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meter connectors.jpg (227.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg splice connector.jpg (239.7 KB, 75 views)
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
They are not off-the-shelf connectors. You can order the white female connectors from Toyota (typically about $12 to $20 for the shell). The pins are available separately from the connectors and run about the same per pin. The male connector you will not be able to get unless you purchase a meter and harvest the connectors off its circuit board.

The pins and connector shells are made by Sumitomo, but they only sell them is very large quantities (typically 20000 minimum for the pins and 500 minimum for the shells). I purchased a load of the pins for the white connector a while back, so if you want to save quite a bit over Toyota's price on those I can supply you with them.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The splice is called a "tap splice".
Old 04-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #4
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
This sounds like its going to be expensive to make my own extension. I think it will be better if I just extend my own connectors as neatly as possible using good heatshrink and wire. I highly doubt that I will ever need to change back to the old meter especially after getting the odometer corrected. So all in all I think its worth going ahead with this permanent change.

The tap splice should be easy to get from any auto electrical store I reckon.

Thanks for the info CTscott.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Friends don't let friends use tap splices. Please use solder.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Friends don't let friends use tap splices. Please use solder.
You wouldn't want to use them to extend a harness, but for low current connections along existing wires they are perfectly fine. I have seen far worse done with solder by those not experienced with it.

Tags
connectors