Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
bad
Winterizing

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Lightbulb Remote for remote starter draining its own battery.

First let me say that this is in regards to a remote starter I installed about a year ago, and most details, including booklets that came with it it can be found in this thread...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47992

My remote for my remote starter is draining its own battery now. I'll give all details in chronological order.

1. I bought two batteries for the two remotes when I installed this system about a year ago. One of the remotes drained its own battery in less than a month. The other one's battery lasted about a year until Sunday. I was skiing that weekend, so I thought maybe moisture got into my waterproof pocket, but I didn't see any moisture in there.

2. I bought a new battery on Monday. It barely worked. It quit lighting up the LED that night.

3. I took the battery back to the battery store and got an exchange. That bad one was down to 7V when it should be at 12V. The clerk and I checked the voltage of the new battery to make sure it was the correct 12V. We put it in the remote. Couldn't get the car to start until we stepped outside (normally the range is very far). Took the battery out and it was down to 11V. We tried a different brand (the first brand was nuOn, the second brand was Duracell). The remote had the same effect on the Duracell.

4. I tried this morning and the newer nuOn battery, but it wouldn't even light the LED.

I figured I'd ask for advice here before I start to ask the company for schematics of the remote. I figure I could try to trouble shoot it. Do you know why a circuit might drain a battery quickly?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Usually it is corrosion/contamination on the circuit board or stuff on the pads of the membrane switches that cause it. Pull it apart and clean the PCB with some contact cleaner and clean the rubber membrane with soap and water.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
bad
Winterizing

There is basically clear tape over the momentary switches. I assume it is an attempt to keep moisture out. Think if I rip it off and clean it like you said that I should use ordinary packaging tape to replace this?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Correct.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
bad
Winterizing

Update: I bought a new remote for under $30. Took less than a minute to program with the system and it works well.

Tags
battery, drain, remote, remote starter, volt