Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
E brake re adjustment ...again....???

Second time doing this.I tale off drum and adjust screw so the ebrake is 2,maybe 3 clicks.

I use brake for a week or 2 and its way loose again and doesnt really even hold car unless i pull way,way up many clicks.

Going to adjust again today.

Brake drums are brand new and shoes were replaced last month.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
THEWISEONE

Drives: Yaris
I don't use the access hole on the back of the backing plate to adjust the drum to shoe clearance. I use a trial and error method by installing and removing the drum many times and adusting the star wheel until the drum to shoe clearance feels tight enough. What you need is a little drag when turning the drum.If done correctly, the handbrake will start to hold the car at the 4th or 5th click.
THEWISEONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Did you replace the auto adusyer hardware when you replaced the shoes? It could be a worn adjuster or the adjuster could be installed incorrectly so it's not holding its adjustment.

This happened on my old Echo but it didn't use a star wheel adjuster, it had some other archaic adjuster that never held its setting.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
i don't remember exactly what it looks like, but sometimes in can be installed backwards. again, i don't remember exactly what it looks like...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Emergency parking brake adjustment star wheel cable

A cable housing end, end ferrule, or receiving socket that is progressively collapsing would also show this symptom?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
My handbrake has always been a bit like that. I would get it adjusted at service and a few months later it went from needing 3 clicks to 6 clicks. I always assumed that it was an issue with the design of the drum brakes. Even when the adjustment is a bit out its still better than the handbrakes on some other cars I've driven.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #7
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEWISEONE View Post
I don't use the access hole on the back of the backing plate to adjust the drum to shoe clearance. I use a trial and error method by installing and removing the drum many times and adusting the star wheel until the drum to shoe clearance feels tight enough. What you need is a little drag when turning the drum.If done correctly, the handbrake will start to hold the car at the 4th or 5th click.
Thats what I did and it came loose again.It was 3 clicks max aftter doing.(Removed drum and turned star untill drum dragged slightly.)
Old 06-17-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Did you replace the auto adusyer hardware when you replaced the shoes? It could be a worn adjuster or the adjuster could be installed incorrectly so it's not holding its adjustment.

This happened on my old Echo but it didn't use a star wheel adjuster, it had some other archaic adjuster that never held its setting.
I got the "kit" that came with shoes,I think the kit was optional?
Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 PM   #9
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
Second time doing this.I tale off drum and adjust screw so the ebrake is 2,maybe 3 clicks.

I use brake for a week or 2 and its way loose again and doesnt really even hold car unless i pull way,way up many clicks.
What do you consider "loose" and how many clicks are "way, way up many clicks"? 2-3 clicks with a moderate pull on the e-brake sounds a bit too tight. 6-9 clicks using a moderate pull should be within the recommended range.

If the shoes are adjusted too tight, the brake shoes will drag inside the drum and cause overheating and premature wear. Brake shoes work to stop a car by "wedging" itself into the drum when it rotates (this is why one edge of the brake shoe is more worn than the other and also why drum brakes are more prone to locking up). If the brake shoes are dragging on the drum, it will constantly want to wedge itself into the drum and cause it to wear out faster.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Adjusters crossed?
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #11
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Step 1: Find an empty parking lot
Step 2: Drive in reverse
Step 3: Pull the parking brake
Step 4: Repeat as needed

You're welcome
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #12
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
Step 1: Find an empty parking lot
Step 2: Drive in reverse
Step 3: Pull the parking brake
Step 4: Repeat as needed

You're welcome
that works on Fords , Yaris is manually adjustable drum brake
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:34 AM   #13
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
Always remember to loose in cabin handbrake cable adjuster before adjusting from drums !!!

sent with OnePlus 3T
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #14
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
What do you consider "loose" and how many clicks are "way, way up many clicks"? 2-3 clicks with a moderate pull on the e-brake sounds a bit too tight. 6-9 clicks using a moderate pull should be within the recommended range.

If the shoes are adjusted too tight, the brake shoes will drag inside the drum and cause overheating and premature wear. Brake shoes work to stop a car by "wedging" itself into the drum when it rotates (this is why one edge of the brake shoe is more worn than the other and also why drum brakes are more prone to locking up). If the brake shoes are dragging on the drum, it will constantly want to wedge itself into the drum and cause it to wear out faster.
6 clicks to hold it on a hill.Firm pull but nothing that seems abnormally forcive.

I guess its fine then.I read others having 3 clicks is better?
Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #15
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmoKekki View Post
Always remember to loose in cabin handbrake cable adjuster before adjusting from drums !!!

sent with OnePlus 3T
This is the first time hearing this.

I have never adjusted the inside cable.

From what others have mentioned 6-7 clicks is fine?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #16
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris rear brake adjustment emergency parking star wheel back backing handle clicks

3 clicks is too tight...not sure which Toyota manual or exact #, but 7 clicks to a firm set seems about right. I think the brakes are supposed to self-set on backing up, but not sure they do it well, or need high braking, and/or some of us just never need to back up and brake w/ any authority. My new condition 135k mile 2007 did not have new pads, and had the most clicks I've ever seen on a car. Mechanic took in one side at inspection wheel pull, and handle was still too high until I really rolled that star wheel on the other side.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote