Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
vimnjicki

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr Hatch
Stealth Sub Placement

I've been looking all over the car (08 3dr hatch) to place a pair of subs that will be big enough to provide serious thump without taking all my spare tire space or "trunk" space. Looked at some 6.5 inch subs to be placed under the front of the rear seats. Looked under the front passenger seat. Looking at the space under the side rear windows, under the stock speaker positions. That last one has me thinking. Custom, I know. but has anyone tried it? I was thinking a pair of 8 inch subs in MDF bonded to the upper plastic portion and covered with acoustically transparent material. I havent removed the side panels yet to see how much space there is, i.e., cubic feet, but I think it could work. Just bouncing around ideas here.
vimnjicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
I'm working on the idea of 2 6.5" under the dash or under the glove compartment.

D.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Take off the rear side panels and see for yourself: I think there would be lots of space there if you're willing to cut into the panel and make add a fiberglass box or such. It is a lot of space. I didn't (and still don't) know how to do fiberglass, and couldn't get myself to cut into the interior so drastically...
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...+subwoofer+box

There's more if you look around the forum.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
here is what i did but i dont have a spare i would sell this sub floor if someone wanted to buy it ? looking to do 4 tens placed the same way

Last edited by pennyracer; 03-01-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added info and picture
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Chuck

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
that is very clean :)
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Good router skill and a bit of imagination and you've got it.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
vimnjicki

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr Hatch
Derrick, hadnt thought of that but considering how thoroughly you did all the sound-proofing on your car, I can imagine how clean your install would be. Very clean setup, Penny. I hope mine turns out that nice. Swidd, I guess I just consider it a car (and I've had lots of them through the years), so whatever i mess up can usually be fixed. I have found, though, like Derrick, that if you approach a project with planning, patience and determination you can usually achieve your goal. The problem is its my wife's and my only car. The good thing is she is going out of town for a month next week, so maybe I can start, at least the planning and tentative disassembly of one panel. Cant build it without seeing it. Your idea about the fiberglass enclosure is good. I havent done any either but have always wanted to try. It "seems" pretty straightforward. I'll be keeping y'all updated. By the way, thanks for the feedback and welcome home, sqcomp, and thanks.
vimnjicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
I wish I had a month by my self! I'm all about family and with my 2 little children and lovely wife all my free time goes to them.

Let us know if we can help with any thing!

D.