Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Coolant Level in filler neck?

Hey guys..

Do you mind checking what is the level of your coolant when the motor has fully cooled down...

I noticed my level was near the bottom of the neck, so I topped it off, and I checked it again a few days later after driving and it is a the same level again..

I did notice my over flow bottle level did rise a bit, but my question is, when the motor warms up, and the fluid expands, it should flow to the overflow bottle which is fine, but I thought once the motor starts to cool down, it should draw the coolant back in? Or is it just a one was system?
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

You're right, it's supposed to draw it back in from the overflow tank and keep it full to the radiator cap. Either you have a big enough air bubble in the system so it's not overflowing and sucking back from the tank properly, or your radiator cap or coolant overflow hose is leaking air.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
The coolant overflow tank is just that. As liquids heat up they expand and need somewhere to go. That is why there is a hot and a cool line on the overflow tank. You are supose to check it when the vehicle is fully cool or fully hot otherwise you are going to get a false reading. Now it may be overful. But being slightly overfull isnt really a big deal. So no worries. Best time to check it is in the morning before you start the car and on a level surface not on the driveway.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
CB900F2

Hey guys.. I took a photo of the level, and I have topped of the level twice which in turn has caused my overflow bottle level to rise a bit since when the motor gets hot, the coolant expands into the overflow bottle..

But it doesnt seem to be pulling the coolant back in the system to keep it at the top of the filler neck..

Anyone willing to check your coolant level at cold and post a photo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolant Level.jpg (102.6 KB, 438 views)
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Like I said before, that's not right. You have a leak somewhere.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
CB900F2

I hear ya... I assume you took a look at your coolant level at cold and the level is at the top??...

There is a thread also going on BITOG also with a number of Yaris owners and they have the exact same coolant level when cold as mine, so it does not seem to be a situation with just my car.. Unless we all have an air bubble, leak or defective rad cap

Guys. Please chime in and take a look at your coolant level when the motor is cold so we can get a consensus on either it is normal or I and many might have a potential issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Like I said before, that's not right. You have a leak somewhere.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
mine does exactly the same.

I just topped off my radiator and reservoir last weekend... yet just as before, tank level rises maybe an inch when hot, coolant level is below junction of filler neck when cold.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I'm describing how a coolant recovery system is supposed to work. If Toyota doesn't fill the radiators to the top, it may not function properly. The original intent of the device was to purge all air out of the cooling system by filling the radiator to the cap, letting expansion of the hot coolant be taken care of by overflow into the tank, then it's sucked back from the tank into the radiator as the coolant cools and contracts. If much air is left in the radiator, expansion of the coolant doesn't force liquid out, and it doesn't generate enough vacuum on cooling to suck liquid in. Have to start with the radiator full or very nearly so for it to work as intended.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

If I do find my coolant's down like yours, I'm going to immediately top it up!
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
CB900F2

Hilton.. Did you have a chance to pop your coolant cap and take a look at the level? (cold)

thanks

Quote:
If I do find my coolant's down like yours, I'm going to immediately top it up!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
May need a new cap. Make sure the rubber gasket is clean. And only open that rad when cool. Try running heat on high and fan on hi to get the fluid circiulating through the heater core - that may move a bubble.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
CB900F2

Are you able to pop open your rad cap when your motor is close and take a look at the coolant level and let us know what you find?

thanks TSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
May need a new cap. Make sure the rubber gasket is clean. And only open that rad when cool. Try running heat on high and fan on hi to get the fluid circiulating through the heater core - that may move a bubble.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Hilton.. Did you have a chance to pop your coolant cap and take a look at the level? (cold)

thanks
Nope. Haven't. Guess I'd better.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
CB900F2

Bump... Whats up guys, nobody wants to take a quick peak in your coolant filler neck??..

Are you scared of what you might find

P.S.. Check it when the motor is fully cooled down..
Old 04-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Bump... Whats up guys, nobody wants to take a quick peak in your coolant filler neck??..
Truly, why not? It's one of the easiest vital fluids to check... and its worth a look, I was very surprised to see how little coolant was in my reservoir tank before I topped up.

Now in my case I found I had somehow knocked the reservoir cap slightly open as I worked--just about a week later quite a bit of coolant had evaporated. The level being at or below the neck of radiator hose however, seems to be normal for me, its been that way every time I've checked.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I did eventually look and found that all three of my family's Yarises have the system working properly, with the radiator neck full up to the cap, no air space, and the overflow bottle filled about halfway when cold.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
CB900F2

Hilton/All...

Do you think there might be an air pocket or a defective rad cap??

Hilton.. If I understand your responce, does your overflow bottle rise to the full mark when the motor is warmed up and will then drop back down to the half way point of the overflow bottle when the motor cools?

I have ask the same question on another forum and few yaris (sedan) owners and they all have the same situation. Very odd...

Quote:
I did eventually look and found that all three of my family's Yarises have the system working properly, with the radiator neck full up to the cap, no air space, and the overflow bottle filled about halfway when cold.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #18
ztlonewolf

Drives: 2008 red 3 dr S coupe
here's something you can try,when your car is cold,take off the cap,start the car and fill the radiater while the car is running,let it run until the thermostat opens up,the coolant level will drop,put in more coolant (just enough to fill it up to the top),once the coolant level starts to rise,put the cap back on the radiator and run it.that should take care of any air bubbles that may be in your system,once the car is cold again,check your levels and see if that helped.
ztlonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote