Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
talhahs

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2010 SD AT
Yaris breakdown : Engine starting issue

I left my office, reached parking area and my Yaris wont start. I parked it around 8:30 AM and tried turning it back ON at 5:30 PM.

On moving the key, dashboard didn't light up. I realized there is something wrong with battery..horn too didn't sound powerful. Hence, I got it working after connecting the booster cable with the other battery. Now the strange part is as soon as I leave my foot off the accelerator pedal, rpm goes down (either in N or D) and it stalls and finally goes OFF (in 2-3 seconds). I got it back ON with booster cable 6-7 times but every time leaving it foot-free gets it stalled and engine OFF. With foot ON, engine got warm and no sign of issue.

Battery connections are tight and no sign of salt/anything..

What could be the reason of this problem? Another thing I was observing from a while that in N position with no foot on pedal, it used to slightly get stalled i.e. flickering of ODO backlight as if engine wud go off, engine rpm going down (below 500), etc but never got OFF. Everytime I used to accelerate, it got fine, ODO backlight solid

Please share what cud be the reason of this issue...my Yaris still parked at office...

Last edited by talhahs; 06-10-2013 at 03:11 PM.
talhahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
alternator not charging your battery.
alternator dying, too?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Sounds like it's not charging. Check the fuses and fusible links.

I got a spare alternator off Ebay for $50. If you get a used Alt, make sure the last digit in the model # is a 1 and not a 0.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Sounds like it's not charging. Check the fuses and fusible links.

I got a spare alternator off Ebay for $50. If you get a used Alt, make sure the last digit in the model # is a 1 and not a 0.

Good luck.
Are the ones with the zero as the last digit in the model number specific 07s that had faulty voltage regulators inside ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
talhahs

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2010 SD AT
Sorry, I know I am too late....But the problem was solved the other day.

It was the throttle body issue...I managed to take my car to the mechanic after installing a new battery....although the car went off 10-12 times on the way to workshop.

Well, he just cleaned the throttle body using ACDelco carburetor cleaning spray...and RPM was back on....as stable as it cud be in Yaris.....
talhahs is offline   Reply With Quote