Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 AM   #1
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Question Instrument cluster swapout help

Hey all,

I've mentioned in a previous post my dissatisfaction with my instrument cluster. Just a recap; I've got a JDM Vitz RS. Yaris have been designed to be left hand drive, and riht hand drives are essentially converts. It is evident with the gauge cluster. Its more visible from the passenger side in my car then driver side. The RPM is just way too far for me to see.

After lot of searching and money, I found a UK Yaris digital meter which internally actually faces the driver. It finally arrived today (I am in New Zealand)

Doesn't fit.... why ? the connections are the other way round. Refer to the 1st picture.

Now here are my questions that I hope you can help me with:

1) I had a quick look and I suspect that I can undo the tape on the main wiring bundle from which the cluster wires come out of and they maybe long enough. Can anyone confirm this ? I really don't want to have to cut the wires and add extention to them myself. (see 2nd picture for the wires)

2) I found these 2 wires not connected to anything (see 3rd picture) instinct tells me these could be the temperature probe wires. My original meter does not display outside temperature but the replacement one can. I also see there are couple of empty connections in the connector. Could I get the temperature to display on the new gauge somehow ?

3) This meter is from the UK and the display is in miles. We use km here and I would like to stick to that. I read in some other threads that this can be easily changed. Can anyone advise on this ?

4) odometer. I know CTscott offers odometer reprogramming. I would rather not send my meter all the way to the US. Is there another way I can get this done ?

5) light color; i would like it to be orange like originally in the car. Again, I know CTscott can change color of the displays. I am intrigued as to how you change color of the VFD ?

Sorry for the long post ! Really appreciate any help and advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new and old meters.jpg (297.4 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg meter wires.jpg (184.9 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg unknown meter wire.jpg (295.5 KB, 510 views)
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cluster, digital, gauges, intsrument