Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2009, 02:41 AM   #1
curtqn

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Switching to synthetic oil problem

My yaris has 8,500 miles. I change oil every 3,000 miles. the first 2 oil changes I used conventional oil. I'd like to switch to synthetic oil.
I called a repair shop and they told me I can't switch to synthetic oil. This will damage the engine because I already had 2 oil changes with conventional oil. Is this right?

Thanks.
curtqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
It's bullshit. Especially on such a low-mileage engine, it's always safe to switch _to_ synthetic oil.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I remember a bunch of old-timers saying that you shouldn't switch to synthetic right away... it's best to wait 10k-15k miles. Do some searching and you should find some of these threads.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
It's OK to switch to synthetic at anytime. In your case, go for it.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
there's a mountain of info lurking in these waters, you just gotta stick your head in to see it.

ill throw a few things out there that aren't my opinion (my opinion, go at least 3k on factory oil then do what you like):
-factory oil is break in oil and needs to be run 5k
-factory breaks in motor before they ship it, you can do whatever you want as soon as you get it
-you should change your oil as soon as you get it home, then again at 500 miles, then again at 3k. (just because its 1500cc doesn't mean its a motorcycle motor...)
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
I switched to Amsoil at 2000 miles.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I switched at 20k, best thing I ever did for my car. You can switch at anytime. The only reason old timers didn't like it is synthetic is not compatible with leather engine seals-which have not been used since the 1950's I think I heard. Synthetic flows better than conventional-so if you had an engine with a minor leak, synthetic would make it leak faster-that's the only down side I've heard about synthetic. Even the prices of shelf brand synthetics have come down with sales making them closer in price to conventional.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
curtqn

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will switch to syn oil. While most people use Mobil-1 or Amsoil syn oils.
How do you think about the SuperTech syn oil sold at Wallmart. Very good price. Is it a good?
curtqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i waited until 10k, but that's only because i was given a 'free' oil change coupon from the dealership when i bought the car and after that i had roughly that many(i use 'free' because the way i look at it i paid 12k for an oil change :lol: ).
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
started usung synthetic little over 1,200 miles .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Id wait till about 10k to switch over. That way your engine has time to fully break in using conventional oil. Using synthetic right off the bat may make your engine take a little longer to break in. If you must use synthetic before they royal purple makes a break in oil. Never tried it though.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
What synthetic oil brands do you guys like to use?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonismyname View Post
there's a mountain of info lurking in these waters, you just gotta stick your head in to see it.

ill throw a few things out there that aren't my opinion (my opinion, go at least 3k on factory oil then do what you like):
-factory oil is break in oil and needs to be run 5k
-factory breaks in motor before they ship it, you can do whatever you want as soon as you get it
-you should change your oil as soon as you get it home, then again at 500 miles, then again at 3k. (just because its 1500cc doesn't mean its a motorcycle motor...)
*Factory "break in oil" is rarely used anymore in any car these days .
* Engines are not broken in at the factory. Engines are first run only after final car assemby when all engine support parts are installed.

Having said that .... With modern machine tools, critical engine parts are now made more precise and the break in procedures of old are no loger nessary for the most part. Just take it easy for the first 2k or so.

However, personally, I like to change oil initially at about 2k miles as during this period, you have the most (nessary) break in wear and there are microscopic metalic particles suspended in the oil that should be removed.

Finally, synthetic is not some mysterious miracle oil that needs special conditions etc and can be used at most any time after break in. It can also be mixed with "dyno" oil in any proportions.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
amsoil
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i switched on my jeep at 175k miles. i had a valve cover gasket leak but that's only cuz dirt was actually clogging the leak and the synthetic cleaned it out. it was time to change that coark gasket to rubber any way.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtqn View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will switch to syn oil. While most people use Mobil-1 or Amsoil syn oils.
How do you think about the SuperTech syn oil sold at Wallmart. Very good price. Is it a good?

I'm sure its decent but I would stick to proven syns like mobil 1 amsoil penzoil plat ect. If you are running syn you can run longer oci, might as well have the good stuff in there
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #17
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I swithed to synthetic at 1,500 miles for my 2007 HB Yaris...at 75,000 miles now, the pistons are slapping, burns 3 quarts of oil per mile, and the tranny shoots red gew all over the cars behind me....If only I had listened to this men at the repair shop...dang!!!
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #18
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06silveryaris View Post
I'm sure its decent but I would stick to proven syns like mobil 1 amsoil penzoil plat ect. If you are running syn you can run longer oci, might as well have the good stuff in there
Supertech at Walmart is excellent and will protect your engine at 99.999999999% as good as AmsOil.

If you use AmsOil, the engine will last 300,000 miles. If you use SuperTech, your engine will last 299,999.98 miles....save your money and go for price because spending bigger $$ on boutique oils is often a huge waste of money and their "extra" protection is so small you'd need an ant's a-hole to see the difference
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote