Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
amitt

Drives: yaris 3d 2010 1.5 MT
Car seat is killing me,did anyone install camry seat?

Hi,

I have 2010 Yaris HB manual transmission .

The Yaris's seats are really bad, I'm 5,11 and I have terrible back pain, which radiates to my leg, and every other car I've driven lately is much better than my Yaris, and I feel less pain.

Is it possible to install a Camry seat in the Yaris? or any other model(corolla etc.)

I can make brackets if necessary, I am about to sell this car if this wont work.

I saw the projects about installing washers at the front of the seat, and also the one about installing brackets that take the seat back, this is not the problem for me, I'm sure that it's the seat's cushions that are terrible, because My wife's Prius 2002 is MUCH MUCH more comfortable than the Yaris, and I've made measurements, and the seat location and distance from the pedals is almost the same in both cars, and also the seat height from the floor is the same, it has to be those seats ! and not moving the seat back or up.

Thanks very much for any idea!
amitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I would think that the Camry seats would be too wide for the Yaris, but the Corolla ones may fit. Enviri on here installed a set of Scion (I believe Xd seats) that fit perfectly and are more padded than the base Yaris seats. Sticking with Toyota/Lexus/Scion seats of the same vintage is a good idea, as they all use the same sensors in the passenger seats.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
amitt

Thanks

Thanks Scott!

When you say it fits perfectly, do you mean that the screws locations on the car floor are the same distance from each other?

Does he have a thread open on that modification? ( I tried to find but couldnt)

Will the air bags on the seat be ok and functioning if I swap seat with airbags from XD?

Did anyone else tried other options other than the XD seats?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitt View Post
Thanks Scott!

When you say it fits perfectly, do you mean that the screws locations on the car floor are the same distance from each other?

Does he have a thread open on that modification? ( I tried to find but couldnt)

Will the air bags on the seat be ok and functioning if I swap seat with airbags from XD?

Did anyone else tried other options other than the XD seats?

Thanks!
I checked with enviri and the Scion Xd seats are a direct swap (unbolt the Yaris ones and bolt in the Xd ones). The only thing that has to be done is to swap the passenger seat belt latch from the Yaris seat to the Xd seat, since the Xd has a different connector.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
amitt

thanks, some more thoughts

Hi Scott !

Thanks for checking with him for me, I tried to look for an XD in a junkyard in California but couldn't find anything, did he buy them as new? it must be worth a few K $

I thought about something, my yaris has an airbag in the seat, let's assume that I disconnect the battery, remove the seat, and then I end up with airbag error on, will this light go off if I attach the original seat back( when I resale the car) or will the computer still "know that someone messed with the airbag i this car and then wont buy it from me?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hi Scott !

Thanks for checking with him for me, I tried to look for an XD in a junkyard in California but couldn't find anything, did he buy them as new? it must be worth a few K $

I thought about something, my yaris has an airbag in the seat, let's assume that I disconnect the battery, remove the seat, and then I end up with airbag error on, will this light go off if I attach the original seat back( when I resale the car) or will the computer still "know that someone messed with the airbag i this car and then wont buy it from me?

Thanks
He bought a set from a junkyard. I believe that the Xd seats had the side airbags (they definitely use the same passenger occupancy detection system). If you went with a set without the side airbags, you can keep the SRS ECU happy by connecting a 3 ohms resistor to the connector where the airbag plugged into.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
We have both an '11 Yaris and an '09 Scion xD and we find the Yaris seats to impose pain on our sciatic nerves approx 90 minute AFTER the Scion seats do!

Seriously.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:28 AM   #8
amitt

thanks

Thanks again Scott !
If I go with the trick of the resistor, and decide to sell the car in the future with the original seat, will anyone be able to find out that the airbag was messed with, or will it be exactly as if nothing happened?

one last question, is there anything other than disconnecting the battery that I need to do before removing the seat?( so that the airbag will not be activated).

Thanks again for the time you spend to write the answers !
Old 08-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
amitt

interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
We have both an '11 Yaris and an '09 Scion xD and we find the Yaris seats to impose pain on our sciatic nerves approx 90 minute AFTER the Scion seats do!

Seriously.
So you say that for you that Yaris is more comfortable? I think it's absolutely terrible....

Do you have a disc problem in your back and therefore a pain in your legs?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks again Scott !
If I go with the trick of the resistor, and decide to sell the car in the future with the original seat, will anyone be able to find out that the airbag was messed with, or will it be exactly as if nothing happened?

one last question, is there anything other than disconnecting the battery that I need to do before removing the seat?( so that the airbag will not be activated).

Thanks again for the time you spend to write the answers !
As long as you disconnect the battery before disconnecting the airbag you will be fine from a safety standpoint. The error codes for the SRS ECU can be reset with a simple procedure, if you did log a code while having the seat disconnected. Once the errors are cleared no one would be able to detect that there had been an error in the past. Installing the resistor prevents the error from being logged, so doing so keeps you from even needing to do the reset.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
amitt

thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
As long as you disconnect the battery before disconnecting the airbag you will be fine from a safety standpoint. The error codes for the SRS ECU can be reset with a simple procedure, if you did log a code while having the seat disconnected. Once the errors are cleared no one would be able to detect that there had been an error in the past. Installing the resistor prevents the error from being logged, so doing so keeps you from even needing to do the reset.
Great, can I reset the code using my bluetooth ELM327 plug and a phone software?, I did that for resetting inverter heat codes on the prius but I don't know if it works for airbag codes as well.

Thanks !
Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Great, can I reset the code using my bluetooth ELM327 plug and a phone software?, I did that for resetting inverter heat codes on the prius but I don't know if it works for airbag codes as well.

Thanks !
No. But you can do it using this procedure:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post557473
Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Alexrahl

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
I wonder if FRS/BRZ or TC seats would fit as well. I'm in agreement with this point, my stock yaris seats are terribly uncomfortable, reminiscent of my old 95 neon.
Alexrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
amitt

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
No. But you can do it using this procedure:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post557473
That's great Scott, thanks for sharing your knowledge !
Old 08-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
amitt

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrahl View Post
I wonder if FRS/BRZ or TC seats would fit as well. I'm in agreement with this point, my stock yaris seats are terribly uncomfortable, reminiscent of my old 95 neon.
That is an interesting question, I wonder if there is datasheet of all of those seats to we can check is the distances between that mounting screws are the same between all seats?

One more thought, did someone try to remove only the bottom cushion assembly and replace it with one from another car? that would solve the airbag problem, and finding brackets to mount a new seat from a different model.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
amitt

More ideas

I looked into some catalogs for Scion XD and Toyota Yaris, both from 2010

Even though it can be replaced directly with each other like Scott kindly mentioned, I see here that the seats parts that are being bought seperately, seems to be different !

Look at the price for the Yaris "SEAT CUSHION PAD" it's 209.23

And on the other link, the Scion XD "SEAT CUSHION PAD" cost 287 for the right, 328 for the left driver cushion, that probably explains why the Scion is more comfortable, good job Toyota, you saved 100$ on the driver's seat but made our life like hell.

YARIS : http://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota....eat-components

SCION: http://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota....eat-components

The question is, do you think that I will be able to swap only the bottom seat cushion pad from an XD? it doesn't give dimensions or anything, but if someone have this technical information, I will be thankful for it.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #17
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
I looked into some catalogs for Scion XD and Toyota Yaris, both from 2010

Even though it can be replaced directly with each other like Scott kindly mentioned, I see here that the seats parts that are being bought seperately, seems to be different !

Look at the price for the Yaris "SEAT CUSHION PAD" it's 209.23

And on the other link, the Scion XD "SEAT CUSHION PAD" cost 287 for the right, 328 for the left driver cushion, that probably explains why the Scion is more comfortable, good job Toyota, you saved 100$ on the driver's seat but made our life like hell.

YARIS : http://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota....eat-components

SCION: http://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota....eat-components

The question is, do you think that I will be able to swap only the bottom seat cushion pad from an XD? it doesn't give dimensions or anything, but if someone have this technical information, I will be thankful for it.

Thanks!
Haha nice find.

Re your Q, I would like to think so, but i've no technical basis on this except the fact that the base model vios here come with those seats, while the top variants come with seats similar to the scion's.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
you can decide. here's my scion xd seat when i purchased both for about 240$ a year or 2 ago.

enviri is offline   Reply With Quote