Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Tedtalker

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Smelly Wiper Fluid

When I spray my windshield, I smell a moldy stinky smell coming inside the cabin through the air vents. Anyone else have this happen? I have been using regular generic blue wiper fluid from Walmart. Obviously it has allowed bacteria
to grow in my wiper tank. Any recommendation on a good name brand fluid to use to prevent this in the future after I flush my wiper fluid tank?

How would you drain the tank after putting a water hose left running to force out the stinky fluid ?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Have someone spray the fluid on your windshield while you observe from outside the car.

If it doesnt smell the problem is elsewhere!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
To drain the tank you would have to pop the front bumper to get to the tank. Once in there you can pull the washer motor assembly out (which is mounted to the bottom of the tank) to drain it.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Tedtalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Have someone spray the fluid on your windshield while you observe from outside the car.

If it doesnt smell the problem is elsewhere!
I know for sure it's the wiper fluid. It smells every time I use it. This has me worried.

Legionnaires' disease link to windscreen wiper water.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10306411
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The other thing you could do is to simply add about 1/4 cup of bleach to the reservoir.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
bleach yeah!

I add 1/2 cup of bleach to the toilet bowl once a week. works wonders!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The other thing you could do is to simply add about 1/4 cup of bleach to the reservoir.

Easy does it with the bleach in the reservoir. Bleach is an oxidizer and it will pit metal and discolor paint. I would go with removing the tank first and then douching it out with bleach.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
bleach yeah!

I add 1/2 cup of bleach to the toilet bowl once a week. works wonders!
My Yaris doesn't have a toilet. But imagine it won't be long, if he chooses, till CTScott has a DIY on a Yaris Toilet install...LOL! Can you say Yaris RV?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
My Yaris doesn't have a toilet. But imagine it won't be long, if he chooses, till CTScott has a DIY on a Yaris Toilet install...LOL! Can you say Yaris RV?

Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
bairjo

wow man..i hope that dude never has a "wipe out"
Old 08-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
To drain the tank you would have to pop the front bumper to get to the tank. Once in there you can pull the washer motor assembly out (which is mounted to the bottom of the tank) to drain it.
I have drained my washer tank in the past by inserting a length of 6mm. plastic tube into the tank with a weight attached to make it sink, then simply syphon the fluid out.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
bairjo

Cleaning the tank is good, but if you got something growing in there chances are it is in the tubing as well. I have not looked to see on the Yaris, but windshield wiper hose is usually easy and cheap to replace and may want to be considered....just a thought.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
I had a similar issue with a non-Yaris in the past. I just opened the top to the wash tank and inserted the garden hose, ran it for a while with a good flow and let it rinse the tank out. Spray the washer a few times during this to clear out the tubing as well, don't forget to do the rear window if it is a hatch. Then maybe fill it with something nice smelling, or water and vinegar to help keep it fresh. Good luck.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
Tedtalker

Great ideas and thanks guys. I put about a eighth of a cup of hydrogen peroxide in the tank and gave it a few shots of water with a jet nozzle to agitate and mix it up a bit. I will
run some of it through the hoses after it sits for a day or two then flood the tank with the garden hose. Run the clean water through and then refill with a wiper fluid that hopefully doesn't become a bio-hazard if it sits too long in the tank. Any suggestions on a good wiper fluid?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
maybe it's just the way walmart bluid smells? I don't think we've ever had issues with walmart fluids.

I had used rain-x fluid for a long time, but it's paying premium for it too. like more than double the price. LOL
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #16
Tedtalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
maybe it's just the way walmart bluid smells? I don't think we've ever had issues with walmart fluids.

I had used rain-x fluid for a long time, but it's paying premium for it too. like more than double the price. LOL
No it's definitely a mold, mildew and bacterial soup in there. I guess I just didn't use it in a timely fashion. I just bought some Rain-X -25 deg with bug remover made with deionized water. Hope this does better in the long run.