Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Countryman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
2007 Yaris won't start. Camshaft sensor issue

First time poster :). For at least a year we have had check engine light on indicating a camshaft position error. It would go off after oil change for a while. Car is rough idle and has had issues starting up last winter. Engine now will not turn over to start. I would love to buy and replace the camshaft position sensor if that would be the solution otherwise I'd have to pay to tow it to shop.

My main questions: 1. Does it sound like CPS replacement would resolve issue?
2. Where is the CPS on 2007 yaris? So I can replace myself.
Anyone have picture or diagram?

Thanks!
Countryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It may actually be the oil control valve that is bad (which drives the camshaft gear to change the valve timing). The OCV is located just to the right of the alternator mount and often gets damaged when one changes the belt and accidentally pushes against the valve when tensioning the belt.

Since it improves after an oil change it could also be the filter for the OCV, which is a screen filter, screwed into the block directly below the OCV.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Countryman

Thanks for the info. It is stalled in driveway. I was going to buy a Cam sensor and replace. It is giving error code for cam sensor also, would that build the case for bad sensor? Do you know the location of that sensor? I think it's one of two on right of engine block. Just don't want to have it towed if I can fix myself. Thanks again
Old 10-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Which cam sensor error code is it giving?

The Camshaft position sensor is the top one on the battery side of the engine.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Countryman

Hey there thanks the code is P0340. I'm thinking more and more it could be the sensor, could it make the engine not turn over?
Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Since the signal from that sensor is then used to control ignition timing, fuel injection timing, and the VVT system, I would say that it being bad could prevent the engine from starring.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
innusiq

Drives: 2008 Yaris 2dr HB
My yaris has had the engine light on the past year. it comes up cam sensor code also. It runs in default mode so rough idle and uses more fuel but it runs. I bought two different brand new cam sensors. One from car quest, put it in and wouldn't run. just sputtered and smelled like sulfer. I figured I got a bad one from factory so I bought one from NAPA put in and same thing but each time I put the Bad cam sensor back in it will run , just runs in default. I tried resetting the code but it has a hard code in the ecm. Anybody else have this problem? The local toyota dealer want $275 for cam sensor, not including code reading, resetting and installation. are they my only option left? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
innusiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #8
woops

Drives: Jeep Cherokee XJ 1996
engine runs rough all the time?

you need to clean up the cam phaser pulley.. it gets stuck due to sludge. mostly you see a correlation error due to this fault otherwise it is possible that no fault is registered

what is the code?
woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
innusiq

Same code as other guy P0340. I tried clearing the code multiple times. I even got a retired toyota tech that lives in my town to check it and he tried clearing the code and couldn't. He told me its a hard code in the ecm that toyota has to clear themselves. Didn't think a little old cam sensor would through a hard code like that. Where is the pulley you are speaking of? Do you have to tear down the engine to get to it?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #10
woops

the pulley drives the camshaft and control the variable timing.

its removal requires the removal of the intake camshaft

you don't have to tear the engine down
just need to be careful with the timing chain,

read the service manual carefully.

what happens is: the phaser locks in full advance which creates a valve overlap causing low compression - which in worst cases doesn't let the engine start

you can perform a compression test to confirm this - all cylinders will read low - consistent readings but low.

if your car has a manual transmission, you can do a high speed push start in 2nd or 3rd gear.

the P0340 error can also be due to a bad OCV

which can also get stuck in such a position that it doesn't let cam phaser advance or retard.
since its the easy thing to check:

remove the OCV mesh which is right underneath the OCV - you remove a #8 hex bolt to access it IIRC

clean the mesh

remove the OCV - clean and then check for operation by providing 12v

if you manage to start your car - check using techstream that if the VVTi system is responding correctly on linear tests.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

DTC P0340 specifically indicates a malfunction relating to the CMP sensor (+) circuit (the wire harness between the ECM and CMP sensor, and the CMP sensor itself). There are other codes that would indicate a problem with the oil control valve or the camshaft timing gear assembly.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #12
innusiq

I put a new vvti actuator unit as mine had the plastic case and was cracked, leaking oil. That fixed that but still having cam sensor problem. It just seems strange that it will run with the sensor thats bad but won't run at all with either of the two brand new ones. Also seems strange that i can't clear the code throughthe code reader or by disconnecting the battery and letting the ecm reset.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:46 AM   #13
woops

trace the wiring and look for a short or an abnormality
Old 03-11-2015, 04:48 AM   #14
woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
DTC P0340 specifically indicates a malfunction relating to the CMP sensor (+) circuit (the wire harness between the ECM and CMP sensor, and the CMP sensor itself). There are other codes that would indicate a problem with the oil control valve or the camshaft timing gear assembly.
yes it should be like that but it isn't most of the times.. at least that's what I've experienced. however the wiring isn't very difficult to trace and fix
Old 03-11-2015, 06:12 AM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by innusiq View Post
I put a new vvti actuator unit as mine had the plastic case and was cracked, leaking oil. That fixed that but still having cam sensor problem. It just seems strange that it will run with the sensor thats bad but won't run at all with either of the two brand new ones. Also seems strange that i can't clear the code throughthe code reader or by disconnecting the battery and letting the ecm reset.
Not being able to clear the code means that the problem is constantly there (i.e. a malfunction with the sensor, its wiring or the ECM circuit that monitors the sensor).