Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Broken Auto Transmission cable fix

I don't have any images but I thought I'd post my solution to the problem for those who live in Canada and don't have access to all the parts you can get in stores in the States.

A few weeks ago I went to drive my '02 Echo (385,000km) home after a trip to the local Lowes. Put it into gear and it was soft and sloppy feeling and never engaged the gears.

Got my in-laws to come help me out. Had him sit in the drivers seat and apply the brakes while I went under the car and manually shifted the transmission into drive. The car would still go into park since the cable would still push the shift lever down on the tranny, but it snapped off so it no longer could pull the transmission out of park.

I put the front of the car on ramps and went under the front to disconnect the retaining clip for the shift cable on the tranny. I then fed it to the top of the engine bay so I could work on it from above. I used a rotary tool and ground off the plastic piece still left on the cable and then ground off another 1/4" so that the shift cable was the same size as it originally was.

I then went to CT and purchased a 4 gauge ring terminal that is a self threading type. This is not the crimp on brass type, this is a silver cast iron much thicker type of terminal that will be much stronger.

The threads are the perfect size for the cable. I also picked up some nylon locking nuts and a longer carriage bolt that fits into the square hole on the transmission shifter link. The original bolt is not long enough to fit the new thicker ring terminal. I also used some JB weld to ensure it was going to hold.

To assemble you need to screw on the small self threading nut that comes with the ring terminal. You will have to lightly tap it with a hammer to help get it started. Then use a wrench and start turning the nut until it sits just below flush with the end of the cable. I put jb weld all over the inside of this nut before I installed it. I then put some JB weld into the threaded hole on the ring terminal and then used a wrench and screwed that onto the nut already installed.

This causes the already installed nut to compress and bite into the cable. Do not over tighten the ring terminal onto this nut, it will crumble into pieces. Just make it really snug.

I then installed the new carriage bolt through the tranny lever and put washers between this and the ring terminal. I tighten this all up with a nylon locking nut. This allowed me to make it tight but not have to compress the ring terminal. This is crucial so that the terminal can move about as needed when the cable is shifted. If it cannot move about then the shifting will feel very tight and notchy and will likely snap again.

I lubed it up with marine grease and gave it a go. it actually shifts smoother then it every did and I've had no issues with it.

If you do not cut the cable shorter then the gear selector will not line up properly and will display the wrong gear.

Hope this helps someone down the road. Chances are if your car is rusted enough for the cable to snap then your car is too rusted to be able to easily remove the old cable and install a new one. The dealer was also asking $440 for the cable and I only ended up spending about $30 in parts and less 2hrs of time

FWIW i ended up scrapping the Echo and got the wife an '05 Vibe...with a kid on the way we needed more space. The fix allowed her to drive it for a few weeks until we purchased a car