Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
What will your next car be?

What? hmmm..

Love Toyota but willing to try other brands not a brand snob at all.

Check out my list!

Mazda 2 or 3 hatch back.
Kia Cerato Hatchback.
Suzuki Swift Sport hatchback.
Vw Golf R 2nd hand.
Toyota 86 but being two door and cramped back seats hmm..

What are your choices for a next car?
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
The Yaris is my next car! Suzuki Swift was my last car, kind of. It was the version that only the U.S. and Canada got between 1995 and 2001. If they had kept selling the newer Swifts here, I would be interested.

My sister has a 2008 Kia Spectra5, which is the U.S. name for the Cerato hatchback. Solid car, I like it. Gas mileage is somewhere between average and disappointing, though.

When you said "Toyota 86," I though you meant the AE86, and I wondered why you wanted such an old car. The new 86 is sold as the FR-S or Subaru BR-Z here.

scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:09 PM   #3
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
^ its called an 86 here in usa too.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
The Yaris is my next car as well. If you like something keep it. Resist the urge for new. When my engine blows I'll rebuild it. When my paint gets marred, I'll replace it. http://petrolicious.com/meet-the-mil...6-daily-driver
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
A PONY!!!
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
For the last few months, I've been having conversations with my better half about getting into something new with more safety features. This was brought on by one of her co-workers getting hit by a texting driver, causing them to roll over 3 times on the freeway. She swore by the side curtain airbags saving their lives.

I was going back and forth between the Ford Focus RS or ST. I have a salesman on standby at my local Ford dealership waiting to call me when the recall on the door latch is resolved so I can test drive a gun metal gray ST on the lot.

Having said that, I've had some time to consider it more and like Captain Yaris, have decided to stick with my Yaris. For a 9 year old car it looks amazing, only has just over 67,500 miles on it and has been modded to my liking. Maintenance and repairs are cheap. I'd almost be happy to blow the motor so I could swap it with the 1.8. It gets compliments everywhere I go and I enjoy driving it. Spent just under $1,200 to put some new RPF1's on it and am tickled with the change in looks. No, it doesn't have side curtain airbags, but no safety feature can guarantee walking away from a collision.

I'm going to keep it looking sharp and drive it until the wheels fall off. In the long run, it's going to save me a ton of money.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
The Yaris is my next car! Suzuki Swift was my last car, kind of. It was the version that only the U.S. and Canada got between 1995 and 2001. If they had kept selling the newer Swifts here, I would be interested.

My sister has a 2008 Kia Spectra5, which is the U.S. name for the Cerato hatchback. Solid car, I like it. Gas mileage is somewhere between average and disappointing, though.

When you said "Toyota 86," I though you meant the AE86, and I wondered why you wanted such an old car. The new 86 is sold as the FR-S or Subaru BR-Z here.

Drove my wifey's 2016 Kia Sportage. Solid car, comfortable. Tries to feel and look more expensive than it really is. Someone said KIA stands for..K=KIA I=imitating, A=Audi lol. Kia's are not bad but they lack fun. Very vague steering. Mind you the Sportage diesel has some get up and go when you need it.

Same with Hyundai accent i test drove a while go. They're more comfort orientated brand than putting a smile for miles kind of company. They handle well enough but not a hoot to throw around corners.

Suzuki never owned one before but the reports are good for the Swift sport. it's up there with the Mazda's in terms of driving fun.

I have never owned a European. Volkswagen they are foreign to me the golf looks very nice inside and out.Minimalist design but premium quality feel about them. Not sure about how they drive.

Toyota 86 the BRZ twin Subayota collaboration. I looked at the car and was shocked how cramped it was at the back. I mean I have 2 year old even she would complain back there.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #8
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Kia poached their chief design officer, Peter Schreyer, from Audi, so yes, they're very keen to imitate Audi.

I've heard Volkswagens drive very well, but I'd hate to own one out of warranty. I've always preferred comfort over engagement, personally. The Mazdas I've ridden in just seemed loud and rough to me. When the automotive journalists start making nautical analogies, I know I'll like it. This is why most of my past cars were GM products.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:49 AM   #9
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
I was a VW tech. I would not own one with more than 60,000 miles on it unless it was older than a 1998.
I've owned many Hondas, and I don't like any of the new ones. i'd get an 05 Si if I could find a good one.
I go to a lot of body shops for my job, and I would not own a Hyundai/Kia do to their extremely poor frame/body.
the older mazda2 from japan is ok, but you can't get a 2 door in the US. same with the Fiesta ST, no US 2 door or that'd be the one. I could never justify spending $50,000 for a Focus RS. you could probably work a sweet deal for a focus ST using the "well it's no RS" argument.
I would love to own a Lotus elise/exige. (if I were going to spend $50,000) until then, I think I would get a 16or> yaris. it's one of the only 2 door hatchbacks you can buy in US.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:51 AM   #10
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
I was a VW tech. I would not own one with more than 60,000 miles on it unless it was older than a 1998.
I've owned many Hondas, and I don't like any of the new ones. i'd get an 05 Si if I could find a good one.
I go to a lot of body shops for my job, and I would not own a Hyundai/Kia do to their extremely poor frame/body.
the older mazda2 from japan is ok, but you can't get a 2 door in the US. same with the Fiesta ST, no US 2 door or that'd be the one. I could never justify spending $50,000 for a Focus RS. you could probably work a sweet deal for a focus ST using the "well it's no RS" argument.
I would love to own a Lotus elise/exige. (if I were going to spend $50,000) until then, I think I would get a 16or> yaris. it's one of the only 2 door hatchbacks you can buy in US.
Spot on! Which is why I purchased my 3 Dr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3339.JPG (209.2 KB, 176 views)
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Going to be getting a 2017 or 2018 elantra

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
AE86 mentioned
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:58 PM   #13
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
in addition to not replacing the roadtrip yaris

or

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:15 PM   #14
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
an all electric repop of 1 door (front of car) BMW Isetta
or
somefer van, solid-fuel/steam-powered, to facilitate operation after total collapse of the infrastructure
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #15
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post

I was going back and forth between the Ford Focus RS or ST. I have a salesman on standby at my local Ford dealership waiting to call me when the recall on the door latch is resolved so I can test drive a gun metal gray ST on the lot.

No no NO not that!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #16
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I'm going to keep it looking sharp and drive it until the wheels fall off. In the long run, it's going to save me a ton of money.
Yes yes YES! Now youre talking!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #17
bronsin

Im 60 and I figure this is my last car.

But you never know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.JPG (117.1 KB, 150 views)
Old 12-15-2016, 04:28 PM   #18
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
No no NO not that!
Quote:
Yes yes YES! Now youre talking!

Quote:
Im 60 and I figure this is my last car.

But you never know!
I assume you snow guys use some form of rubber tools, very carefully, to extract your cars from a heavy dump?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote