Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'll take pics of the Silk Roads on my car.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #20
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
You will need more than the useless rear shock bushing brace if you go with a coilover setup on the rear shocks.

you could groove the rear shocks and run compression rings for coilover sleeves. That is what I run on my Cobra in the rear.

With a stiff rear sway bar and coilovers you could punch right through the upper shockmount. You would at least need delrin upper bushings and possibly weld or bolt on a steel plate for reinforcement.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #21
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
You will need more than the useless rear shock bushing brace if you go with a coilover setup on the rear shocks.

you could groove the rear shocks and run compression rings for coilover sleeves. That is what I run on my Cobra in the rear.

eye-to-eye shocks can be modified to accept spring perches :) if my Ksport perches don't work out that'll be my next step.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
eye-to-eye shocks can be modified to accept spring perches :) if my Ksport perches don't work out that'll be my next step.
Yea that would make things significantly easier, you would probably have to get them revalved for this application, but that is not horrible.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #23
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:

With a stiff rear sway bar and coilovers you could punch right through the upper shockmount. You would at least need delrin upper bushings and possibly weld or bolt on a steel plate for reinforcement.
Yeah, I was thinking the same sort of thing. That upper mount wasn't made to carry any weight. Even putting in a reinforcement at the top could just be moving the weak point to lower on the tower where something else will bend or break under fatigue. Now, if the car had a full rollcage and you could tie into that... that could work.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #24
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:

do you have a link for this process? If not, could you explain more about grooving the shocks?

My idea is similar i think, i thought about simply welding on a collar to set the spring perch on.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:08 PM   #25
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same sort of thing. That upper mount wasn't made to carry any weight. Even putting in a reinforcement at the top could just be moving the weak point to lower on the tower where something else will bend or break under fatigue. Now, if the car had a full rollcage and you could tie into that... that could work.
sounds like a great excuse to me :rofl:
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #26
Tamago

Quote:
Yea that would make things significantly easier, you would probably have to get them revalved for this application, but that is not horrible.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Koni/610/8216-2027/10002/-1
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #27
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
do you have a link for this process? If not, could you explain more about grooving the shocks?

My idea is similar i think, i thought about simply welding on a collar to set the spring perch on.
i can groove them at my shop :)

however, Gordon at koni does not recommend doing this, as the outer shell of most shocks is not thick enough to withstand grooving/welding unless already equipped in such a way.
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #28
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:

You dont want to be welding to shock bodies.

Pages 4-7 deal with the grooved shock body and the spirolock ring that hold on the coilover sleeve.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...p/MMCO-4r6.pdf
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #29
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:

however, Gordon at koni does not recommend doing this, as the outer shell of most shocks is not thick enough to withstand grooving/welding unless already equipped in such a way.
really? shit... what about a sleeve with the top filled in and a hole drilled into the top for the shaft. So the sleeve fits down over the shock, and the top (rim?) of the collar goes over the top of the shock where the shaft passes through the hole. Then, you can have another collar on the bottom of it where you can slide a perch onto it.

Does that make sense at all?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #30
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:

Agreed. You woudl need to check with the shock manufacturer to see if this is even viable.

It is an easy process to groove the shock bodies though.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #31
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
You dont want to be welding to shock bodies.

Pages 4-7 deal with the grooved shock body and the spirolock ring that hold on the coilover sleeve.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...p/MMCO-4r6.pdf
thanks!

i like that idea alot...
Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #32
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
really? shit... what about a sleeve with the top filled in and a hole drilled into the top for the shaft. So the sleeve fits down over the shock, and the top (rim?) of the collar goes over the top of the shock where the shaft passes through the hole. Then, you can have another collar on the bottom of it where you can slide a perch onto it.

Does that make sense at all?
Shocks are not designed to be load bearing suspension components usually, so that probably would not really work either. If the shock was beefy enough to do that, you could groove it anyway.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #33
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post

Yea.. the shock mount might need to be boxed in completely. If I was going this route, that is what I would do.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #34
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

what do you guys think of using these? you can select rate, but probably cant adjust height though. I think i measured the rear spring to be 5 1/2" in diameter.

http://www.dansracingsupply.com/AFCO.htm

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec...t_Conventional

So if you can figure out what spring will allow you to have a decent height, and then you can get collars for the front, you are good to go. you wont have rear height adjustability, but you could use a good strong rate.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #35
Tamago

Gordon at koni said 9" would be good for my setup, and i'd imagine that a 9" travel shock would work for y'all in the back as well
you nailed it sir.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #36
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Gordon at koni said 9" would be good for my setup, and i'd imagine that a 9" travel shock would work for y'all in the back as well
got any aftermarket springs around you can measure?