Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Thumbs down Weird dealer parts policies

Is it typical for Toyota dealers to require pre-payment in person only (not even a credit card over the phone) to order small parts (I wanted a $4 bolt) for pickup?

I've ordered parts from Ford and Chrysler for 10x or more that price and never had this kind of hassle. I ended up buying it online, for which after shipping I broke even. But jeez... What a pain in the ass since I can only get to the parts department once a week due to their hours.

If that is normal... I might just stop offering to fix family and friend's Toyotas. Way too much hassle.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'm pretty sure I've ordered small parts over the phone and they've had then sent to that dealer for me. I then pay for the part when I get there to pick it up.

Seems like it's a dealer specific issue
Old 03-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
It's really up to the dealer, I've ordered parts from several Toyota and Honda dealerships in town and sometimes they want you to prepay and other times they don't.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Find a new dealer or build some rapport. Generally speaking, over-the-phone orders are normally for commercial accounts (body shops, other dealers). Other over-the-phone transactions are relegated to the parts manager or whoever holds authority. Again, this is generally speaking.

I used to have a good relationship with a Toyota parts manager. "Put it on my tab" was a frequent dialogue and I'd pick up and pay the balance when it arrived. This was after some years of relationship-building for my various other Toyota over the years.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
dcp520

Drives: 2010 Hatchback
It may be just that specific dealership.

I used to be a parts advisor for a Nissan dealership and depending on the part ordered it may be hard to return the part back to the warehouse (should the customer change their mind in purchasing the part). Dealerships don't like holding inventory for too long especially if the part is worth under $10, they cannot return the part back to the warehouse.
dcp520 is offline   Reply With Quote