Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
pikador

Drives: Yaris 2013 Style MultidriveS
Yaris 2013 engine braking problem?

Hello everyone,

When i'm searhing about my problem, i found this great forum.

My car is a Yaris with automatic CVT transmission. When im driving downhill at D mode and apply some braking to slow down, transmission always choses the lowest ratio and engine rpm gets high. Normally when i first buy the car, this was not occured( my be i dont realised). At D mode, i dont feel any engine brake at first, but lately this problem occurs.

Is it a problem or a normal operatin?

Thanks in advance.
pikador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I'm not sure about the CVT, but with the normal automatic transmission that we get over here, if you are going down hill and do not touch the brake the car will free wheel. As soon as you touch the brake the car immediately switches into engine braking mode.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I'm not sure about the CVT, but with the normal automatic transmission that we get over here, if you are going down hill and do not touch the brake the car will free wheel. As soon as you touch the brake the car immediately switches into engine braking mode.
To add on that, there are times when the automatic transmission will downshift to 3 or even 2 in braking. It's disconcerting when it happens; but the owner's manual mentions it.

I would expect that the CVT is programmed to do the same; it would be easier to do and with less strain since there wouldn't be the sudden lurch downshifting. It's just how Toyota wants these things to run.

I suppose eventually there will be an aftermarket module to change this mode.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
pikador

Drives: Yaris 2013 Style MultidriveS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
To add on that, there are times when the automatic transmission will downshift to 3 or even 2 in braking. It's disconcerting when it happens; but the owner's manual mentions it.

I would expect that the CVT is programmed to do the same; it would be easier to do and with less strain since there wouldn't be the sudden lurch downshifting. It's just how Toyota wants these things to run.

I suppose eventually there will be an aftermarket module to change this mode.
Exactly what occurs. İt is downshiftin either 2 or 1 no mater what corrunt ratio. So i think its not a problem.

Thanks for answers.
pikador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
I think this also is different for different markets.

I noticed the JDM Platz and Succeed (which both have 1NZ-FE) they down shift automatically when going down hill and brake is pressed.

However the AseanDM VIOS does not seem to do that. I tested this with my Vios and going down hill and pressing brake, the gear does not down shift.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #6
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Many complaints about auto and manual toyota gear box? Toyota needs to address this. My previous car a Nissan Pulsar St 2001 model, it's gearbox is still strong at 298909 km's.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote