Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
forsair
I've made a post!

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to forsair
Headlight Mystery Saga

I have a 2010 Toyota Yaris Sedan. I have changed the headlight lamps about, what feels like, a million times myself. I drive a lot, the headlights are on when the car is in motion, that is just how I roll. My car is going on 282,000 miles. So I change out the headlights a fair amount. I now have a bit of a mystery.

Last Sunday my passenger headlight went out. On Monday I buy a new bulb. (Normally I buy and replace in pairs and this time I couldn't. So I only replaced this one bulb.) When I pull out the old bulb I noticed some strange stuff:

1. The clamp that holds it in place feels like it is now very rough, like it was exposed to heat.

2. The bulb edge one one side also looked like it had been exposed to high heat.

I replace the bulb as normal, and the low beam comes on, but it is dim compared to the older bulb. Also, now my highbeam indicator light is on. When I turn on the highbeams the indicator light gets brighter and old bulb works as normal, high beam comes on, new bulb. . .stays dim.

Because of work and afterwork meetings and obligations I can't deal with it until tonight. As I pull into home to evaluate the issue and decide what I need to try. . . my old "good" bulb dims to match the "new" bulb. High beam indicator light is still on all the time. When I put on the high beam, the "old" bulb gets to normal brightness for a low beam and the "new" bulb goes out entirely.

So. . . not going anywhere tonight. I'd like to fix it myself if I can. I'm not finding what issue the "high beam indicator" light coming on during lowbeam operation means.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
forsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:21 AM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Start simple, try a new new bulb.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
I would guess wrong bulb. do you have DRL?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
Could be something wrong with the bulb causing it to back feed from the low beam circuit, or something wrong with the plug, bad connection will cause high amps and make things get hot. If old bulb had been hot I would think it is most likely your plug or wiring?
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Short resistance headlight bulb lamp conector

? Some kind of short and/or poor contact (high resistance) in the connector. (A poor contact makes heat, which melts plastic which lets things move and may start to sputter metal and/or let conductors touch and short.)
Also wondering about ground--if the ground leg becomes bad somewhere (wiring/connector/lamp-terminal), can the bulb holder or bulb base ground through metal or metalized plastic?
(A wiring short causes high amps...why fuses blow. A bad (high resistance) connection causes lower amps, but some of the energy (voltage x amps) gets turned into heat at the connection.)

Last edited by dogsridewith; 01-29-2017 at 06:45 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight issue, high beam indicator light