Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Do you know anything about using the factory shocks with those springs? Its only 1.4 inches. I guess there is really no way to know until I try it. But my hope is that 1.4" just isn't enough to bottom out the insides of the shocks/struts.
I haven't had lowering springs of any kind on OEM dampers. I know they're not really designed for lowering springs though; can be used, but they won't last as long.

I don't think you'll bottom out unless you're going fast into a freeway dip or over a speed bump.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #20
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Do you know anything about using the factory shocks with those springs? Its only 1.4 inches. I guess there is really no way to know until I try it. But my hope is that 1.4" just isn't enough to bottom out the insides of the shocks/struts.
To reiterate, I and several others here are running the Tein S Tech springs (approx. 2" drop) with stock struts/shocks. No issues whatsoever. Quality of ride actually improved for me. Yes, the OEM springs may go sooner than they would at stock height, but there are fairly cheap replacement options available for when that happens.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:15 AM   #21
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Yes, the OEM springs may go sooner than they would at stock height
shocks/struts
Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #22
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Quote:
To reiterate, I and several others here are running the Tein S Tech springs (approx. 2" drop) with stock struts/shocks. No issues whatsoever. Quality of ride actually improved for me. Yes, the OEM springs may go sooner than they would at stock height, but there are fairly cheap replacement options available for when that happens.

Thanks! I'll probably just use the OEM stuff until/unless I run into an issue. But that still makes me want to ask:

Are there "lowering" shocks/struts available? Ones that are designed for to be able to not wear out faster on a lowered car? There must be some out there that won't be affected at all by lowering the car.

Or in some cases, shocks/struts off of a different vehicle or model are actually what is needed. For instance, on my '95 mustang, if I want to lower the car 2", I need to use shocks off of an '86-'93 mustang. They are somewhat shorter, and therefore their range of operation is suited to a lowered 1995 mustang. If you use those, you won't be bottoming out the shock, it will perform as though the entire setup came on the car from the factory.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:59 AM   #23
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
shocks/struts
Yes, thank you for correcting.

Quote:
Thanks! I'll probably just use the OEM stuff until/unless I run into an issue. But that still makes me want to ask:

Are there "lowering" shocks/struts available? Ones that are designed for to be able to not wear out faster on a lowered car? There must be some out there that won't be affected at all by lowering the car.

Or in some cases, shocks/struts off of a different vehicle or model are actually what is needed. For instance, on my '95 mustang, if I want to lower the car 2", I need to use shocks off of an '86-'93 mustang. They are somewhat shorter, and therefore their range of operation is suited to a lowered 1995 mustang. If you use those, you won't be bottoming out the shock, it will perform as though the entire setup came on the car from the factory.
I haven't dug too deep into replacement shocks/struts yet because I haven't had to, my OEM's are still crisp, but I am subscribed to the following thread about available shock/strut options:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55770

Others can correct me because I'm far from an expert, but I don't think there are "lowering" shock/strut options specifically, but there are/were stiffer options that provide a sportier ride and reduce travel, making them better for performance/lowered setups.

From my light reading about it here on the forum, the preferred choice was from Tokico (red and blue models), but apparently they're no longer made. Per the link I shared above, KYB seems to be a cheap, OEM compatible option that are +60k miles in and going strong for some folks. Furthermore, some claim the TRD's are actually re-branded KYB's.

If you do some more research, or testing on your own car, please share your findings on the post I linked above.

On Wheelwell
Old 02-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #24
BennyLava

Quote:
Yes, thank you for correcting.

I haven't dug too deep into replacement shocks/struts yet because I haven't had to, my OEM's are still crisp, but I am subscribed to the following thread about available shock/strut options:

Others can correct me because I'm far from an expert, but I don't think there are "lowering" shock/strut options specifically, but there are/were stiffer options that provide a sportier ride and reduce travel, making them better for performance/lowered setups.

From my light reading about it here on the forum, the preferred choice was from Tokico (red and blue models), but apparently they're no longer made. Per the link I shared above, KYB seems to be a cheap, OEM compatible option that are +60k miles in and going strong for some folks. Furthermore, some claim the TRD's are actually re-branded KYB's.

If you do some more research, or testing on your own car, please share your findings on the post I linked above.
Ok I will thanks.

There used to be a long thread here, that was just a lot of lowered sedans. Is that thread still around? Anyone got a link? I didn't see an actual gallery here.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #25
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
There used to be a long thread here, that was just a lot of lowered sedans. Is that thread still around? Anyone got a link? I didn't see an actual gallery here.
Only sedan specific thread that I've ever been aware of. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1482

Right there is the sticky portion of the photo gallery forum.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #26
BennyLava

Quote:

That seems to be the general consensus, so it looks like the answer is no. You don't really need different ones unless yours are worn out. And then you might go with KYB's or some such.

I do know that KYB is/has been the OEM supplier of a great many manufacturers. They just paint them black instead of white with a red KYB logo.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #27
ern-diz

Quote:
That seems to be the general consensus, so it looks like the answer is no. You don't really need different ones unless yours are worn out. And then you might go with KYB's or some such.

I do know that KYB is/has been the OEM supplier of a great many manufacturers. They just paint them black instead of white with a red KYB logo.

On Wheelwell
Old 02-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #28
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I can't remember if the TRD dampers I had were made by Tokico or KYB. I know both made them for TRD at the time I got mine.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote