Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2017, 03:39 AM   #1
miiser

Drives: yaris 2009
In line rear speakers wiring? Possible?

Hi.
I just bought a pair of jvc speakers to replace my stock ones in the front. I think of reusing the stock speakers, and put them in the back.
My car didn't came with rear speakers so no wirings either I guess. The question is, can I extend the front wiring of each door to the back and connect 2 speakers in the same line??
Keep in mind that I am completely stock right now, so, no aftermarket headunit or amplifier etc.

I think it's possible but, they might be seriously underpowered?
Anyone tried it??
About the specs of the new speakers they require 30rms each. They already need more power than the headunit can provide to them. Also I have stock tweeters in the front (if that counts to anything)

Worst case scenario burn a fuse? Or just a hell no don't even think about it?

If that's the case I will invest some money on an amplifier (found some descent cheap ones on eBay, (Boss) that they will do the work). An aftermarket headunit is out of the question right now because is an expensive alternative because except from the headunit i will have to buy new dash to fit it, adapter for the steering wheel buttons plus the wiring harness.

Any opinions are heavily appreciated

(Yaris 2009 hatchback)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by miiser; 02-23-2017 at 04:39 AM.
miiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #2
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
I would avoid putting the rear speakers in parallel with the front speakers. The head unit is designed to drive a 4 ohm load. If you put the 2 sets of speakers in parallel, you will be asking it to drive a 2 ohm load. There is a real possibility you will overload the output stage and burn it out.

If your head unit does not have separate outputs for the rear speakers, you would need to replace it or add an amplifier to drive the rear speakers.

The power rating on the speakers is not what they require, but the maximum they are rated to handle. you don't 'need' that much power. try them "as is", and you can add an amplifier or change head units if you feel they aren't loud enough.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:21 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
I would avoid putting the rear speakers in parallel with the front speakers. The head unit is designed to drive a 4 ohm load. If you put the 2 sets of speakers in parallel, you will be asking it to drive a 2 ohm load. There is a real possibility you will overload the output stage and burn it out.

If your head unit does not have separate outputs for the rear speakers, you would need to replace it or add an amplifier to drive the rear speakers.

The power rating on the speakers is not what they require, but the maximum they are rated to handle. you don't 'need' that much power. try them "as is", and you can add an amplifier or change head units if you feel they aren't loud enough.
Actually, the fujitsuten head unit is 2ohm stable. It was designed to drive tweeters in parallel with the full range door speakers. Not necessarily on the yaris, but also on other models. The Pioneer is probably 2ohm capable too, but I'm not sure about this.

Either way, the rear speakers should split from either side of the front kick panel. I forgot which side, so all you have to do is tap there and run the wires to the back and you get rear speakers working.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Actually, the fujitsuten head unit is 2ohm stable. It was designed to drive tweeters in parallel with the full range door speakers. Not necessarily on the yaris, but also on other models. The Pioneer is probably 2ohm capable too, but I'm not sure about this.

Either way, the rear speakers should split from either side of the front kick panel. I forgot which side, so all you have to do is tap there and run the wires to the back and you get rear speakers working.

I didn't quite catch up what you said exactly. You mean there are ready wirings inputs??

Old 02-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #5
miiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post

What do you think about an amp in the stock headunit?? I don't want a crazy volume sound that will destroy my ears. I need a decent quality sound

Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 PM   #6
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
See IllusionX's comment above.

If the stock radio is stable with 2 ohm speakers, then feel free to wire them in parallel. The mix of original and aftermarket speakers may give different volume levels for front and rear depending on how sensitive they are. it's a case of try it and see.

I only replaced my original radio because my wife bought me a new one for Christmas. I never felt I needed more volume than the original Fujitsu Ten unit could provide.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiser View Post
I didn't quite catch up what you said exactly. You mean there are ready wirings inputs??

Yes. I dont see why wires would be removed at the HU harness. I am pretty sure the audio wires come out of either side of the kick panel. Look up the kick panel connector wiring manual..

Old 02-27-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
miiser

In line rear speakers wiring? Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Yes. I dont see why wires would be removed at the HU harness. I am pretty sure the audio wires come out of either side of the kick panel. Look up the kick panel connector wiring manual..

Do you know where to search for them?
I am not really into these things so if you could navigate me on the area I need to look for it would be really helpful

Last edited by miiser; 03-01-2017 at 06:36 AM.