Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
roblobstuhh

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris 5dr
Grinding noise when turning sharp right

I accidentally ran over a raccoon the other night (I felt absolutely terrible) and about 20 mins later when I finally got home and was making a sharp right to my driveway, my car started making a grinding noise. I localized the noise and it came from my left front wheel. I'm absolutely dumb when it comes to cars since I just got this hand-me-down and now I am paranoid. What is causing the grinding noise? Even I hurt when I hear it. It happens even without the brakes applied and intensifies as I accelerate while making the sharp right turn. I'm really worried as to how serious this is. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
roblobstuhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblobstuhh View Post
I accidentally ran over a raccoon the other night (I felt absolutely terrible) and about 20 mins later when I finally got home and was making a sharp right to my driveway, my car started making a grinding noise. I localized the noise and it came from my left front wheel. I'm absolutely dumb when it comes to cars since I just got this hand-me-down and now I am paranoid. What is causing the grinding noise? Even I hurt when I hear it. It happens even without the brakes applied and intensifies as I accelerate while making the sharp right turn. I'm really worried as to how serious this is. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Check the plastic wheel well inserts/covers behind and beside your tire.. You probably popped them out of alignment.
You may have to reattach or cable tie them back. They are very flimsy and easy to mess up. Easy fix.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 AM   #3
barryjoe
I've made a post!

Drives: ford150
This type of a noise is usually produced by a faulty power steering pump or transmission. Mostly, it could be like a noise on the transmission itself. It would be nice if you flush the transmission.
barryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:39 AM   #4
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Yea sounds like a cowling has come away and is rubbing with the tyres
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012 SE
the ghost of the raccoon is haunting your car
Old 01-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjoe View Post
This type of a noise is usually produced by a faulty power steering pump or transmission. Mostly, it could be like a noise on the transmission itself. It would be nice if you flush the transmission.
Not after running over a raccoon.

I'm guessing it's the cowling as well.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
Not after running over a raccoon.

I'm guessing it's the cowling as well.
Or the brake dust shield.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Sounds like it must be slow in the shop ..lol lets not forgot new brakes tires etc hehe
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Quote:

Electric steering on US Yaris .The OP said it started after striking the animal , it's not the tranny....geeeeeeez . Probably the plastic wheel-well as mentioned above .
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #10
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I second what Scott said, likely the dust shield/brake backing plate
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
Rutherford

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Hit a big one myself doing 60mph in the dark one morning. Hit so hard in the front it broke some of the bodywork down low and even bent my radiator support slightly. It also did a number on the front cowling which may be what is making the noise you have. I had to wire mine back up. Looked for the carcass on my way home from work later that day. Nothing to be found, maybe he thought I was just a big insect. These cars are actually pretty durable. I hit a huge road gator (chunk of trucker tire about 2 feet long ) underneath mine on the interstate doing 75mph. Made a hell of a racket and scratched some undercoating but that was about it.
Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
griding noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblobstuhh View Post
sorry to bring back this old thread, Did you ever find out what was causing the grinding noise when you turned? mine just started this past weekend and only does it when I turn left. Power steering? I put my car on jacks spin the wheels and could not duplicate the grinding, turn the wheels and spun, still no issue....hhhhmm???
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:25 PM   #13
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
My vote as the noise is grinding not scraping is you ruptured the CV boot and have lost most of the grease in the CV joint. If so in needs immediate attention.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
found the problem

found out what it was........the blower motor is scrapping the filter when I turn left. weird no wonder I couldn't find it when I lifted the car and turn the wheels.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
weird