Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
MeggiemobileSFLA

Drives: yaris sedan
Brakes question

So im having a few issues with my yaris that ive discussed with my dealership service dept already... Most of my things will be dealt with when i take it in on monday but i did have the mechanic guy at the dealership tell me that the "tick tick" noise EVERYTIME i hit the brakes is normal. He said that i have floating disc brakes that trigger some kind of switch when you push them and thats what is making the noise.. My car didnt do this the first week i had it and neither did the one i test drove. He said he would lube everything up for me but that wears away when it rains and it would continue to make the tick tick .... Does everyone elses brakes do that? Im being told that its normal and ive never heard of a brand new car having any kind of normal noises like that
MeggiemobileSFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
No, but they check my back brake drums, and they said it 75% worn, front25%. i only got 20,000 miles on my car, sometime i really can't trust them dealership.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
MeggiemobileSFLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
No, but they check my back brake drums, and they said it 75% worn, front25%. i only got 20,000 miles on my car, sometime i really can't trust them dealership.

So, you hear no noises from your brakes??
Old 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
not even one single noises.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
make sure the metal plate that goes behind the rotor is not touching the rotor, it happened to me once and i just pushed the plate back and problem solved!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
MeggiemobileSFLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
make sure the metal plate that goes behind the rotor is not touching the rotor, it happened to me once and i just pushed the plate back and problem solved!

Because of that issue did you hear a tick tick noise?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
Kitt

well, not exactly a tick tick noise but a grinding noise kind...
Old 03-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I don't have any brake noises and i don't believe it's normal. Get a second opinion.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
MeggiemobileSFLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
I don't have any brake noises and i don't believe it's normal. Get a second opinion.

Im scared!! I dont know how to tell the dealership service guy that that is an unacceptable answer that "it's supposed to do that". Its brand new so its under warranty, the technically have to fix it. I dont wanna void my warranty by going to see my normal mechanic dude but on the other hand without even looking at my brakes the people who are supposed to fix my car are telling me the noise is normal. Help
Old 03-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
Kitt

Well, why don't you go to your dealership, with your mechanic and have him tell your dealer that it is not normal or supposed to do that...

2 cents...
Old 03-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #11
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
I got 8k on mine and NEVER heard once a single noise coming from any braking. You already got about 6 people give you a second opinion who have not heard this "ticking" sound. Your the CUSTOMER. Suggestion.....speak to your salesperson who sold you the vehicle and explain what has been going on and that you have already spoken to other owners etc. and see what he can do to have them inspected (again!)/repaired/replaced. I don't understand WHY the mechanic would "lube" everything up IF the noise is normal as he claims??? Sounds to me like excuses already (from what your stating). The "floating disc brake" thing I don't understand either. MAYBE he meant floating pads?? If so, not on a new vehicle especially if it was not doing it on a test vehicle and when you drove yours the first week or so. Have some balls and a positive attitude and confront your salesperson and go from there....just keep taking NO for an answer till they give in. Don't forget..You're the Customer! Good luck.
sambo42xa
Southern, NH
Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
Kitt

BTW I have to note that it happened because I was messing with it when i was trying to paint my calippers
Old 03-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
AaronATL

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
sounds like air in the lines, my 2 cents

brakes make noises (ticks, clicks) when in reverse
but thats normal, they are made to self adjust in reverse
when you apply the brake, also ABS if it senses the
wheel is about to lock up, it will release pressure

Autobrake: MAX
AaronATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
Kitt

possible too...
Old 03-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #15
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggiemobileSFLA View Post
Im scared!! I dont know how to tell the dealership service guy that that is an unacceptable answer that "it's supposed to do that". Its brand new so its under warranty, the technically have to fix it. I dont wanna void my warranty by going to see my normal mechanic dude but on the other hand without even looking at my brakes the people who are supposed to fix my car are telling me the noise is normal. Help
Refuse to leave untill they find the problem, if they insist it is normal then have them take you out in a new one from the lot, and when that one does not make noise bitch up a storm... and/or go to another Toyota dealership and tell them what happened at the other dealership
Old 03-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #16
91drggndime
baggn n draggn

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to 91drggndime
3000 on our sedan and no noises at all from the brakes.. whether it be in drive or reverse.. hard driving or granny.. not 1 noise.

2007 Pacific Blue Yaris Sedan - wifes kid carrier and daily
1999.5 Brilliant Black Audi A4 - boosted 16 psi, supporting mods, s4 interior, you know, shit you cant get in the yaris.
91drggndime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #17
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I have no noise either.... as they all said a 2nd or 3rd opinion would be great. I have a kind of metal sound under the car, I tought it was the gas tank cover since its broken but it wasn't. I took it to the dealership and they told the same BS that it was the gas tank cover.... they order it but... the sound is stil there... but I just got them to order a new gas tank cover (warranty) and when it arrives they are gonna have to find the source of the noise and also install my new gas tank cover doble work for them.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #18
sambo42xa

Drives: 07 YARIS Automatic/LiftBac/Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronATL View Post
sounds like air in the lines, my 2 cents

brakes make noises (ticks, clicks) when in reverse
but thats normal, they are made to self adjust in reverse
when you apply the brake, also ABS if it senses the
wheel is about to lock up, it will release pressure

Autobrake: MAX
Well, I don't think he has been driving in reverse for the first week or drove a new car in reverse when he took one out on a test. IF the ABS is sensing a "wheel lock up" as you say (I'm not saying it does or doesn't, because I don't know) then wouldn't that mean there is a problem? He didn't say anything about making any quick stops. Just from what I read.....he test drove a new car; drove his new car for a week and didn't hear anything on either car. Now we got a noise. Hey, maybe it's nothing and maybe it is. Why would the mechanic want to lube this shit up if he stated it's normal? That's like saying to a mechanic, hey my car runs rough. And he says, that's how it should run, it's normal and it's fine, no problem at all. But hey, let me adjust your carb..
Talk to Your salesperson, and also like another person said here, try another Yaris off of the lot/ have someone go with you in yours.
All the above is either a suggestion/s or my opinion/s.
Again, good luck!
sambo42xa
Southern, NH