Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
DataGoddess

Drives: 09 Blazing Blue Yaris
New Yaris Owner, need help with some DIY changes

I just bought my lil blue 09 Yaris LB and I love it. It is perfect, well almost. I got it from a friend who put in some aftermarket features that I love but I need help adjusting. I am dating a mechanic and my friend is a mechanic, so I have access to free labor, I just need help with the right way to do what I want to do.

Head unit - the one they put in sucks, it has Bluetooth, but that is about all it is good for. The radio signal goes in and out, the touchscreen barely works, and the backlight is not dimmable which makes it hard to drive at night. What is the best Bluetooth head unit for an 09 LB that can accept calls and also works well with the radio and maybe also mirrors my iphone screen or has google maps for navigation? Is there some sort of Roku for cars? Any suggestions? Is the OEM radio antenna always going to suck? How do I fix that?

Rims - I love the cool alloy matte black rims, but I am not so fond of the matte look. What is the best way to paint or plastidip the lip of the rim in either blue or white or silver to add some shine and color? Or if that is not a good thing to DIY without a professional, can I gloss the entire rim with some sort of clear coat?

Bulldog remote keyless entry and remote start - I love this, and the only thing I need help with is how do I buy a spare key that my friend can program to start the car? I am making a plain metal key for the hide a key to open the doors only, but I would like a programmed key to also start the car for my boyfriend to use and have on him. What is the best blank key to buy and where (amazon?)?

Body damage - the friend is going to help me fix the body damage, but I am wondering if you have a suggestion. There is a dent in the passenger door with some rust showing through, and there is also paint peeling and a slight sent in the running lip panel right underneath the passenger door (not sure how to describe that area). Is it cheaper and easier to find a spare door and replace the metal frame? What about the running lip - it is connected to the entire edge all along the right doors and hood/hatch, so that is a big piece. Would it be cheaper to get the dent and paint fixed on that piece?

Center arm rest - I saw a discussion thread about the factory one being crap and that some private seller called Cali Yaris who made and sold them, yet shut down his business already. Is there a way to still buy this alternate one or one that is sturdier/nicer than the factory one?

Thank you in advance! You guys have been so helpful so far! This is my very first car and I want it to be perfect!
DataGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #2
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
> Head unit - the one they put in sucks, it has Bluetooth, but that is about all it is good for. The radio signal goes in and out, the touchscreen barely works, and the backlight is not dimmable which makes it hard to drive at night

The head unit in mine has a cable that connects to the headlight switch, so when I turn on the headlights the unit dims and switches to night colors. Maybe look for a unit that offers that feature.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
zen

Drives: 2014 Yaris HB
I've done 2 sets of wheels with spraycan Plastidip and have loved how both of them turned out. Both sets were black, but I loved the matte finish and didn't really experiment with Plastidip clear coat. My only issue is that here in SC, the pollen was ridiculous and I felt I had to spray my wheels off everyday. I assume if I used a clear coat, it wouldn't be so bad.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
DataGoddess

Drives: 09 Blazing Blue Yaris
Good point on the headlight connector. I will keep an eye out for that feature.

For the plastidip - did you take the rims off to apply it?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion of where to go for headlight restoration? Do you go to a specific shop that just does headlight restoration, or can you go to a regular body shop?
DataGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #5
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Hello and welcome!

Here are my 2 cents:

Headlight Restoration - Most body shops that can do it, but, if you're feeling brave, you can attempt a DIY job like in this video. If you do end up messing it up, you can just take it to the shop. Nothing gained or lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM

Center Arm Rest - I purchased this one from Amazon, and I'm very happy with it. It's bigger, can hold more things, and it's leather.

http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Consol.../dp/B0064GVRS8