Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Cool, I can't wait to see. I want to do this eventually. I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on rims. I don't love my car that much haha.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #20
eocintron
Joder... Es un Toyota!

Drives: '09 Polar White 5-Door HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
Cool, I can't wait to see. I want to do this eventually. I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on rims. I don't love my car that much haha.
Messed up man! I do want to get some rims, but I dont have the hundreds of dollars, even though I love the car that much... But, I will, so yeah... Patience is the name of the game
eocintron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #21
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
One little trick: go to the hardware store and buy a "lazy susan" bearing for a couple of bucks, set it on a length of 6x6 or a small stool, place the (prepped!) cap on it, and rotate the cap while spraying. If I can post the pics, you will get the idea; pics are of a wheel, with an aluminum mask to keep the paint off the tire...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Painting 001.jpg (36.8 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg Painting 002.jpg (48.4 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Painting 003.jpg (50.7 KB, 212 views)
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #22
eocintron
Joder... Es un Toyota!

That makes sense... I already did the painting, but for future references, A+

Update:
I already painted the hubcaps, 3 coats of black, heat resistant paint, Ill post pics later cuz I gotta get to work in a couple of minutes, hopefully tomorrow I'll apply the clear coats for the smooth, shiny, pro finish, and obviously pics will be posted... Btw, thanks to everyone for all the ideas and the help u've given me, much appreciated!
Old 11-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
eocintron
Joder... Es un Toyota!

Ooook, so f'ing finally the weather gave me a break and I was able to finish the job. As soon as I mounted the hubcaps and finished waxing the car, it rained... so fuck... but at least I got to take some pics with the job finished. Here they are...

after 4 layers of black, heat resistant paint

Close up...

Already mounted, after 4 layers of clear coating

And here's the view from an "angle" O_o

So yeah, its done, it wasnt hard, just annoying because of the weather... In really sunny days I bet you could do it in about 2 days. Oh and btw, since I was dealing with paint and sand paper, I decided to black out the back emblem... Exactly same process that the hubcaps went through, except that I only used 2 layers of black and 2 of clear... here's a pic.

So thanx to every1 who helped in this thread, much appreciated!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #24
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
I dunno dude....maybe it's just me, but if you wanted black, why not just take off the hubcaps and leave it at that?
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #25
eocintron
Joder... Es un Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainm27 View Post
I dunno dude....maybe it's just me, but if you wanted black, why not just take off the hubcaps and leave it at that?
Cuz the hubcaps have a much better look than the "rims" the car has installed by default, and they come out not black black, but like a faded black, which sucks. To top it off, they dont have the Toyota logo, and the wheel lugs look horrible, since you can see the whole thing and not just the chrome heads, as u do with the hubcaps or other rims. So that my friend, is why I wanted black hubcaps...
Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 PM   #26
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by eocintron View Post
Cuz the hubcaps have a much better look than the "rims" the car has installed by default, and they come out not black black, but like a faded black, which sucks. To top it off, they dont have the Toyota logo, and the wheel lugs look horrible, since you can see the whole thing and not just the chrome heads, as u do with the hubcaps or other rims. So that my friend, is why I wanted black hubcaps...
lol, well that makes sense I suppose. I'm still not thrilled by the looks, but I'll say this, you did a fine job! Excellent work with the paint. You really planned this out well.
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:59 AM   #27
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
FYI for those following this thread, i wanted to note that your earlier posts say you did 1000 grit THEN 600 grit. Your results look great, but people looking to do this should walk UP in grit, moving from 600 (coarse to file down rough spots) to 1000 (to smooth the surface). Great look IMHO!
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #28
eocintron
Joder... Es un Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJohnson View Post
FYI for those following this thread, i wanted to note that your earlier posts say you did 1000 grit THEN 600 grit. Your results look great, but people looking to do this should walk UP in grit, moving from 600 (coarse to file down rough spots) to 1000 (to smooth the surface). Great look IMHO!
Hum... good to know for future references. The next thing Im planning to do is to paint the inside's control panel (where the AC controls and radio are) white, so, Im sure its pretty much the same process, but what grit paper would u recommend? and of course, in what order. Im more concerned with this one cuz its the inside and I have to look at it while I drive, so dont wanna mess it up...
Old 11-30-2009, 11:17 PM   #29
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
By replacing them with real wheels.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:51 PM   #30
eocintron
Joder... Es un Toyota!

... wut? O_o
Old 11-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
misterwolfe
What is a clutch?

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Send a message via AIM to misterwolfe
Hi, I have had my car since I paid cash for it on my 17th Birthday in 2007. My Fiance drove it for a while, and he ate up my hubcaps badly. I know one is beyond repair as its cracked, but I was hoping to salvage the other 3 if possible.

So, my question is, are these scraped too deep to even bother? I know for sure I can save two of them, but they aren't exactly cheap to replace. These are my second set and he no longer drives Pipsqueak.

Instead of filling the thread of images, I uploaded here to Dropbox in a gallery.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b5x71dssjpgu9ks/2rcMFEZidL
misterwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote