Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Tylermayer

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Arrow Post your pictures of your roof rack

i interested in getting one of these and want to see what they look like on a yaris

Thule or yakima rack is what im looking for
Old 02-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
no pics yet? I'm interested and looking for pics as well...
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
see if you can get contraband's attention he's got an awesome setup that i wana copy !!

imitation is the most sincere form of flattery!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
myt

Drives: Blazing Blue 07 YAris
See here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29812 A few of us have racks...

MYT
myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Bad pic.. but this my Thule setup
DSC01675.jpg

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Tylermayer

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by contraband831 View Post
Bad pic.. but this my Thule setup
Attachment 40158
lets see some new pictures?!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
mrspeckers

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3DR HB
thule rails...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThuleRack2.jpg (57.4 KB, 495 views)
mrspeckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
mine's the same as contraband's except I squeezed a bike tray next to my basket for added utility :)

thule's system can be found here:
cargogear.com

approx 300$ for system
and all the extras like locks, fairing, basket and bike tray are extra....

I paid about 500 for all of mine :/

maybe buying a used system with the approprite fit kit will be cheeper if you cant afford or justify the money.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #9
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
@ Yar1s: Nice set up ! is that with the sort roof adapter or with out? I'm looking to put a kayak up there so idk If I need the Short roof adapter....
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkndacn View Post
@ Yar1s: Nice set up ! is that with the sort roof adapter or with out? I'm looking to put a kayak up there so idk If I need the Short roof adapter....
that is without

you will def need the shor roof adapter, cause the normal distance between the bars is only about 11-12 inches.... a kayak will not be supported on that little space even with straps.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
My thule rack. I need a fairing bad! What size are you guys running, the 32 inch?

Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
rapev-8

Drives: toyota
looking good!!! about to get me one :)
rapev-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Pingolfer
Pingolfer

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door hatch
2007 Yaris roof rack

this is what I purchased on Craigslist Vancouver and Lordco Depot

TP42 Thule roof rails
RB43 Thule rapid aero rack bars
430R Thule foot pads
Thule ( part# ? ) rail adaptor
Pingolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #14
ElkRiverRancher

Drives: 2009 Yaris
2009 Yaris with Rhino Rack System to transport Kayaks

I recently purchased (without the suitable research and without careful consideration - the story of my sorry excuse for life) a 2009 Yaris sedan (4 door), dumping my 130,000 mile Ford Explorer which had a problem with something called a 'GEM' - "generic electronic modulator", the primary and most problematic failure being a loss of windshield wiper function, and the part itself 'no longer in production' by Ford ... and for 'retro' manufactures, not even on their radar, for manufacturing ... sigh. Okay ... got the Yaris home and with that sinking feeling that makes me think I need a keeper, realized I would not be able to transport either of my tandem 14', 75# kayaks! Kayaking is my near-solo reason for existing. So ... I went online, and found a Rhino Rack system that would suit the Yaris, for $280, including shipping. Okay ... I ordered and quickly received the rack - and it was not an impossible task for a solo installer ... 'tho it did take some careful bath-towel protection, to avoid any contact with the Yaris' roof; and I probably logged at least a mile, just going from side to side, to get the adjustment of the rack's 'articulating' legs set just right. Now, the rack is installed, looks good, and 'tight' ... but a new problem that never even occurred to me ... there's no place at the front of the Yaris to attach a bow guyline! With the Explorer, I used two 'sets' of cargo straps, the 'long' straps of which were always attached to the kayak's stern and bow carry handles, and I'd attach the 'ratchet' sections to a secure part of the Explorer's frame by going beneath the front and rear bumpers. To further secure the 'yak, I'd run a 'girth' cargo strap right around the 'yak at mid-section, and into the cab of the Explorer. Worked great! But, the Yaris? At its front end, it has this nearly-to-the-ground plastic 'thingy' where a bumper used to be, on vehicles ... I believe it's called a 'bumper cover' ... and, there's no practical way to get to anything resembling a metal frame section, as far as I can tell ... so ... does anyone have any useful suggestions, on alternative places to secure a bow and stern guyline, from the kayak to the frame of the Yaris?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris with Rhino Roof Rack.jpg (324.9 KB, 254 views)
ElkRiverRancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
On a two door hatch, but bumper construction is much the same.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #16
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Another one with a guy using the hood latch as a point to secure tie downs.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:07 AM   #17
ElkRiverRancher

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Thanks so much, WeeYari ... I had spotted the red 4-dr hatch via a google search for images ... but had not spied the white 4-dr hatch. I'm impressed that both show two kayaks aboard (I don't think the Rhino cross bars are wide enough, to take both of my kayaks, at one time ... and, the tandem kayaks are a bit too heavy for me to load from the side onto 'J' racks - but really, the reason they're both tandem kayaks is so I only have to take one, to have a seat for a companion) ... and the white shows what look like pool 'noodles' - I think I can get them at just about any dollar store - looks like they provide good protection from scratching the finish of the Yaris. Thing is, I still cannot tell where the straps are attached, beneath, on the white vehicle. Maybe I just need to put down a rug, and get a good look at the undercarriage, to see where the plastic bumper cover is attached to the frame. Old timer that I am, I may just give the hood latch idea a try, first - saves some wear and tear on the knee joints, I imagine ... thanks again for the quick reply and good ideas.
ElkRiverRancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #18
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Clips roof rack

I don't like just yanking on parts of any kind to see if some clip releases correctly or breaks, or the part breaks, or the part it is connected to breaks...or I needed to push in, or pull out, little pins in the center of clip(s). (Or maybe there's some other fastener magic The Mind of Toyota created since 1991.)
The 2007 Yaris hatch has two black rubber strips running the length of the roof that might hide attachment points for a roof rack. Any suggstions?
Also, how does one get the front and rear bumper covers off w/o breaking clips or parts? (You don't need to answer this to respond on the roof's rubber strips, but you WILL be interested in what I create if I can remove the bumper covers.)
(Thread photos show a rack attached at the door openings...but I still want to know everything about those rubber strips. THANKS!)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote