Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #19
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
So do you think a sticky clutch on damp days for the first 2-3 miles of driving is the beginning of a bad throwout bearing?

Also, if it was a bad bearing, would it be so intermittent? Yesterday I drove at least 20 miles and never heard the sound.

Last edited by DebbyM46227; 01-08-2015 at 09:13 AM.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #20
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
So do you think a sticky clutch on damp days for the first 2-3 miles of driving is the beginning of a bad throwout bearing?

Also, if it was a bad bearing, would it be so intermittent? Yesterday I drove at least 20 miles and never heard the sound.
No it would not be the beginning of a bad bearing. Positive clutch action isnt affected by a bad bearing.

Yes its possible for the sound of a bad bearing to be intermittent.

WHatever it is I think the problem will not prevent you from driving to work anytime soon. As long as it started recently I have to believe you would be good till spring and warmer weather.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #21
DebbyM46227

I hope so, Bronsin. It was -10°F actual temp this morning and the wind chill right now is -9°F so I hope it's nothing that will leave me stranded on I-65 in the breakdown lane.. a person could freeze to death with temps like this.

I'm taking it to CarX tomorrow since they sent me a free oil change coupon because my birthday is this month. Maybe they can tell me what it is, and if it's a problem covered by the warranty, I can get it into the dealer. My 5 year/60,000 mile part of the warranty expires in June.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 AM   #22
bronsin

Quote:
I hope so, Bronsin. It was -10°F actual temp this morning and the wind chill right now is -9°F so I hope it's nothing that will leave me stranded on I-65 in the breakdown lane.. a person could freeze to death with temps like this.

I'm taking it to CarX tomorrow since they sent me a free oil change coupon because my birthday is this month. Maybe they can tell me what it is, and if it's a problem covered by the warranty, I can get it into the dealer. My 5 year/60,000 mile part of the warranty expires in June.
Brrrr I grew up in upstate NY and we had 20 below at night for a couple of weeks every year then. I drove a VW to work 30 miles and dressed as though I WOULD freeze to death if something happened! But then, you could have a flat and have no control over that. Also, if your clutch falls in your lap you can always stay in the car with the motorrunning...

Hmmm I would forget CarX and take it to Toyota IF its still under warranty. That would be my first line of action to determine whether its under warranty from T. (theres a reason the OC coupon is free...they want to get you in and stick you with a larger bill)

I believe your clutch problem IS under warranty. But it might not be the clutch in which case it wont be.

MAYBE CarX would be good then but Id rather trust the dealer.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:23 AM   #23
DebbyM46227

My 3 year/36,000 warranty is over. The only warranty I have left is the 5 yr/60,000 on the powertrain. The last time I went to the Toyota dealer they told me if I had a "noise" I was wanting them to hear, unless I knew EXACTLY what the noise was, that I'd be paying the shop rate (around $70???/hour) to try and diagnose the problem. So I'd rather know for sure what it is before I take it there.

As far as CarX, I had my last oil change there because it seems there are never any Toyota oil change coupons when I need an oil change. They did an OK job. I won't have CarX do anything but an oil change though. And the CarX is right across the street from Beck Toyota.

I think it's the polar vortex, usually our temps here in Indianapolis are in the 30's.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^ Brr is right. I heard the high today in Miami will be 80 vs a high of 4 in Minneapolis. The high here yesterday was 37 or 38, and the high today is supposed to be in the mid 40s. Even Seattle will beat us today with a high of 50.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #25
bronsin

Quote:
My 3 year/36,000 warranty is over. The only warranty I have left is the 5 yr/60,000 on the powertrain. The last time I went to the Toyota dealer they told me if I had a "noise" I was wanting them to hear, unless I knew EXACTLY what the noise was, that I'd be paying the shop rate (around $70???/hour) to try and diagnose the problem. .
OK try this. Tell them "Its the clutch bearing, that what it is. Its under warranty and YOU have to fix it!"

OR try to reason with the service manager. But first like you said, get CarX to firue out its on an accessory driven bythe belt. Or not.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:17 AM   #26
bronsin

Heres the diagnosis. The noise goes away when you step on the clutch. Demonstrate this to the service manager. Thats classic clutch throwout bearing.

It would be quick and simple to remove the blet and run the engine. If the noise is still there its NOT a belt driven accessory. Even more likely its the clutch.

Do their diagnosis for themand demonstrate the noise goes away when you step on the clutch.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #27
DebbyM46227

It didn't make any noise today. I went to CarX for my oil change, asked them to check the water pump and serpentine belt, nothing wrong with those. The CarX service manager told me there was an older Corolla in earlier this week with a bad throwout bearing and it went away when the clutch was pushed in.

I spent all day at a pre-employment drug test lab so I had no spare time to go to Toyota. I'm dropping it off Monday. I wonder if they'll say I have to bring it in when it's making the sound. Kind of hard to do when I will have a new job I have to go to.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #28
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
This was posted in the wrong section of the forum, moved it to the correct one.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #29
bronsin

Quote:
It didn't make any noise today. I went to CarX for my oil change, asked them to check the water pump and serpentine belt, nothing wrong with those. The CarX service manager told me there was an older Corolla in earlier this week with a bad throwout bearing and it went away when the clutch was pushed in.

I spent all day at a pre-employment drug test lab so I had no spare time to go to Toyota. I'm dropping it off Monday. I wonder if they'll say I have to bring it in when it's making the sound. Kind of hard to do when I will have a new job I have to go to.
When its not making any noise try this. Just sitting in the car with the engine running pump the clutch pedal in and out and try to make the noise. Pump it ten times and listen, then ten more and listen, and so on until you get to 100. IF you can make it make the noise when there isn't any noise, that's a good thing to do with the service manager sitting in the car with you.

Another thing you can do is put the car in 1st and let the clutch out just a little so you feel engagement. Repeat this 25 times and see if it makes the noise.

If theres no noise and this process makes the noise happen, that's a powerful argument to make to the service manager the throw-out bearing is the problem.

I hate to say this but its not in their interest to do lots of work and then find out that wasn't the problem. If you can demonstrate the bearing is the problem they should agree to fix it.

I say "I hate to say it" because of you pay a dealer $1000 to fix a problem and that doesn't fix it, for some strange reason you don't get your money back. Then they stick you for another $1000 and so on and so on!
Old 01-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #30
DebbyM46227

Thanks, Bronsin. I'll try those things tomorrow...I just can't force myself to go out today, too cold and I'm sitting on my hands to keep them warm. :) Tomorrow it will actually get to 28 degrees.