Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
tamrat

Drives: 2009 Yaris, 1994 HiLux Surf
Toyota Yaris 2009 headlight beam shakes and is misaligned

Hello all, I don't talk much here. Lately I have this annoying problem. The driver side headlight beam shakes and appears to be protecting much higher than the passenger side.

When I adjust the projection height with the control on the dashboard, I can clearly see the difference. When I set it to 5, the passenger headlight projects really low (like usual, what it normally did before). But the driver side beam is much much higher. Like at the 0 height. When I set the control to 0, it projects really high. I have been getting complaints from pedestrians and other drivers.

In addition to this, when I drive on rough surface, the driver side beam shakes up and down significantly. Its really annoying since I live in a 3rd world country and most of the road to my home is cobblestone and rough surface.

I am not sure if its related or anything but a while back I noticed that my driver side parking lights was dull. When I opened the hood to check out the bulb, I saw that it didn't sit fully. I tried to tight it down but the one of the teeth that holds it in place was snapped. So I just applied a light sealer and put it back. But my curiosity kicked in I started fiddling around. I wanted to check if I could replace the main bulbs with LED ones I had bought for another car. I took out a component next to the parking light bulb and it wasn't the headlight. It was some kinda motor with a black stick thingy. I assumed it was the motor that controlled the projection height. Before I could dig further, something came up so i just put everything back and left it at that.

What should I check now guys? Do you think I messed up the alignment and stuff?

P. S. When I tap on the driver side headlight unit slightly I can see that I inner reflective element shakes.

Edit 1: Typo
Edit 2: Added more details

Last edited by tamrat; 03-14-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added more details
tamrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:50 AM   #2
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
To address the shaking issue I would check that the headlight assembly is still secured to the car. It's held on by three bolts which are attached to plastic tabs on the headlight assembly. If you car has been in an minor accident in the front the tabs can break. Also check that the headlight bulb is fully seated in the headlight assembly. The H4 bulbs have a little metal clip that locks the bulb in place.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Headlights.pdf (264.5 KB, 94 views)
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Broken wobbly working bulb from 7" round headlamp

Broken wobbly working bulb from 7" round headlamp--metal base of the bulb had welds broken that attached it to a circular ring which located it in the lamp reflector. So it would give shaky light beams (high and low) with incorrect aim.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #4
tamrat

Drives: 2009 Yaris, 1994 HiLux Surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B._07 View Post
To address the shaking issue I would check that the headlight assembly is still secured to the car. It's held on by three bolts which are attached to plastic tabs on the headlight assembly. If you car has been in an minor accident in the front the tabs can break. Also check that the headlight bulb is fully seated in the headlight assembly. The H4 bulbs have a little metal clip that locks the bulb in place.
Thank you for your reply sir. The car was indeed in a minor accident quite a while ago. It was a very minor bump, I doubt it resulted in anything but I will check anyways. And can you kindly attach the guide for the hatchback version?

Thank you very much.
tamrat is offline   Reply With Quote