Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #55
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I have a scangauge. Perhaps I'll make another video and strap the scangauge on top of the other gauges so that we can see how timing corresponds to AFR and boost levels.

What other scangauge settings would be useful to view? I have RPM currently showing also. I can ditch the two MPG settings for this video.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #56
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Long I would be curious what your readings would be if you moved the sensor to pre cat position? I would try that before buying a piggyback.
Mike, I would rather poke out my eyes than to try to get that bung moved and the cable moved with it. Getting everything in place once was damn difficult.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #57
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
I have a scangauge. Perhaps I'll make another video and strap the scangauge on top of the other gauges so that we can see how timing corresponds to AFR and boost levels.

What other scangauge settings would be useful to view? I have RPM currently showing also. I can ditch the two MPG settings for this video.
That is great!

RPM, ignition advance, injector duty or latency, and if there is a load, or airflow parameter, that would be perfect.

Or if you want to post a list of everything it can do I can tell you which ones you will want to monitor.

You have an auto right?
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #58
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
That is great!

RPM, ignition advance, injector duty or latency, and if there is a load, or airflow parameter, that would be perfect.

Or if you want to post a list of everything it can do I can tell you which ones you will want to monitor.

You have an auto right?
Ok, I'll make a list tonight of the values it can display.

I know it can do RPM, ignition advance, and load. I don't think the other settings produce a value. Perhaps the ECU does not report them to the scangauge.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #59
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

* Engine Speed (RPM)
* Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)
* Engine Load
* Ignition Timing

If Manifold Pressure is not available, use Throttle Position instead.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #60
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Ok, I'll make a list tonight of the values it can display.

I know it can do RPM, ignition advance, and load. I don't think the other settings produce a value. Perhaps the ECU does not report them to the scangauge.

The ECU does report them, but the Scangauge probably does something to the value to get the fuel economy/fuel rate numbers.

What unit does the fuel rate parameter use?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #61
LtNoogie

cpm... I think. I've never known what to do with that reading.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #62
LtNoogie

Quote:
* Engine Speed (RPM)
* Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles)
* Engine Load
* Ignition Timing

If Manifold Pressure is not available, use Throttle Position instead.
Wouldn't you get Manifold Pressure from my boost gauge or is that a different manifold pressure?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #63
LtNoogie

Quote:
I have a tach, boost/vacuum gauge and I already monitor the timing and load. How does the throttle position fit in or correlate with the others?
You just don't have a video camera!
Old 03-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #64
LtNoogie

I just use my cheap Olympus digital camera and run it in movie mode. Most all of the cameras have that mode.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #65
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I hear WalMart has a good deal on Hanna Montana designed vid cameras, lol.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #66
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
lol
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #67
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
I have a tach, boost/vacuum gauge and I already monitor the timing and load. How does the throttle position fit in or correlate with the others?

It is the same, but it was hard to see in the video.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #68
LtNoogie

I'll try to do a better job next time. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #69
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Where did largeorangefont go? I would like him to explain some of this shiiiiit to me cause I really don't know. I understand about timing, advancing or retarding and when I am under boost the load is basically on 99 percent. I just don't understand how all of these tie together with rpm and manifold pressure.
Sorry, Had to do some actual work. I gotta head out to a customer, so here is a brief overview.

In reality \keeping an engine alive comes down to EGT (exhaust gas temperature) and knock.

You use a balance of AFR and timing to keep both factors in check. You can't crank up both and expect an engine to live.

Think of fuel as coolant for the combustion chamber. Think of ignition advance as how hot the fire burns. Obviously if the fire burns too hot, bad things happen. If it burns too cool, the car runs like crap and is slow. The temperature of that fire is EGT. You can control EGT by adding more coolant (fuel) or turning down the intensity of the flame (ignition retard).

OEM supercharged cars will (generally!!) run low timing and a high AFR to increase fuel economy and reduce emissions. My Cobra for example ran in the high 13 AFR range under load, but only had 10 degrees of ignition advance from the factory.

I now run the AFR and 11.3:1 AFR under load, and 21 degrees of ignition advance, and picked up 30 some odd HP and torque. It runs like a different car. The increased timing makes the car more responsive on tip in (passing etc.), and much more driveable. Power "under the curve" is increased as well as peak power.

EGTs in both scenarios were VERY similar, at around 1300F. From this example, you can see there are many ways to the same end. Some produce more power than others.

Knock is another factor to be wary of. Again, to get rid of knock you can add more fuel, or retard timing. Strategies can vary on how to get rid of knock, especially in turbo applications.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #70
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
I'll try to do a better job next time. Thanks.

No problem, you just have a like a 30 # boost gauge
Old 03-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #71
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Sorry, Had to do some actual work. I gotta head out to a customer, so here is a brief overview.

In reality \keeping an engine alive comes down to EGT (exhaust gas temperature) and knock.

You use a balance of AFR and timing to keep both factors in check. You can't crank up both and expect an engine to live.

Think of fuel as coolant for the combustion chamber. Think of ignition advance as how hot the fire burns. Obviously if the fire burns too hot, bad things happen. If it burns too cool, the car runs like crap and is slow. The temperature of that fire is EGT. You can control EGT by adding more coolant (fuel) or turning down the intensity of the flame (ignition retard).

OEM supercharged cars will (generally!!) run low timing and a high AFR to increase fuel economy and reduce emissions. My Cobra for example ran in the high 13 AFR range under load, but only had 10 degrees of ignition advance from the factory.

I now run the AFR and 11.3:1 AFR under load, and 21 degrees of ignition advance, and picked up 30 some odd HP and torque. It runs like a different car. The increased timing makes the car more responsive on tip in (passing etc.), and much more driveable. Power "under the curve" is increased as well as peak power.

EGTs in both scenarios were VERY similar, at around 1300F. From this example, you can see there are many ways to the same end. Some produce more power than others.

Knock is another factor to be wary of. Again, to get rid of knock you can add more fuel, or retard timing. Strategies can vary on how to get rid of knock, especially in turbo applications.
A very delicate balancing act

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #72
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
so if we got the cam com we could adjust the cams to cope with the crazy a/f readings?

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote