Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
josellwoll
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 1.3 (2002)
Engine brake with cold engine and high rotation speed

Hi,

some times a week i have to go down from an alpine mountain with my yaris (petrol 1,3l). It's about 6km downhill, i reach about 5000rpm in second gear.

The problem is: The engine is cold when I start (blue light warns me) and reaches normal temperature not till 3km.

Is it bad for the engin? What could I do?

Josellwoll

(Excuse my English, its not my native tongue)
josellwoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
you could let it warm up for a few minutes
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
deckster.s1

Drives: Silver 07 Yaris Liftback
Start the engine and let it run before moving the car. To be extra cautious, do not move car until your cold engine light turns off. The owner's manual for the 1.5 liter says that it is ok to drive the car with the cold engine light on. I do not know if the 1.3 liter needs to be treated differently.

Another option would be to leave the transmission in neutral while going downhill until the cold engine light turns off. This way the engine is still idling and slowly warming.

If you are worried about your brakes over-heating without help from engine-braking, perhaps you could shift into a higher gear.

I am no mechanic, but I think running the engine at high rpms with cold oil is a bad idea.

Extreme solution: get one of those parachutes that drag racing cars use to slow down.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
High rpm but low manifold pressure, so it isn't "working hard", in other words a lot easier on it then that same rpm pulling a hill. Going down it I wouldn't sweat it too much, maybe 1 minute idle while you belt up etc. should do it. I HATE any excess idling since I got a ScanGauge, it really kills the days average!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold engine, engine brake, high rotation