Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Please help with exhaust

I had some exhaust work done when the header was replaced. I have tried to recreate what the exhaust system looks like now as compared to what I think was there originally. As you can see, a long cylindrical section (part B in my diagram) was eliminated and another part ( Part A, resonator?) moved further rearward. I am not sure what these parts are. My exhaust is going in for a leak and a section of the rearward pipe is being replaced. I have a current code P0420 and a Toyota dealer hs said that it can occur with an exhaust leak anywhere in the system, even much farther downstream. I had had a P0137 O2 sensor circuit low voltage and I replaced the sensor. I now have fluctuating voltages and have read that it is supposed to be steady voltage for the downstream sensor. The P0137 is gone but now I have the P0420 code Catalyst system efficiency below threshold

I am not really sure how to proceed. I think I should replace the pipe section I got and have and be sure there are no other leaks. I can do this by having someone hold their hand over tailpipe and lsiten for leaks. I found one using this method. If my P0420 code does not go away, I planned to use the anti-fouler spark plug trick to eliminate the P0420 code. Air/fuel ratios are good, so I don't think it is having any adverse effect on my engine. Fuel economy is great as is power.

My question is that at least one part (cylinder shaped - resonator?) was removed and I'm wondering if this is causing my engine light (P0420) code. What is the name of the long cylindrical part that was removed from my exhaust system in my picture?

If I get my new pipe section installed and make sure all the leaks are eliminated, am I on the right track? I think that replacing the entire front pipe would be the proper way to go, but that would be super expensive.

Can you please tell me definitively what parts A and B are in my labeled image?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-30-2017 at 07:45 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
You have removed the resonator and shifted the secondary cat.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
Bare in mind that without a resonator (Part B) you might get some nasty frequencies that lead to loud buzzing and droning which can get really annoying over time.

I found a good explaination between the difference between a muffler and a resonator on the internet:

Mufflers:
Lowers sound level
Usually packed with fiberglass
Does not eliminate certain frequencies of sound (droning)
Increases engine back pressure, hampering performance

Resonators:
Almost straight pipe sound level
Cancels certain frequencies to stop droning and obnoxious noise
Not adjustable at all, you either like it or you dont
Decreases engine back pressure, increasing performance
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
you could remove both A and B and it will have no effect on computer fault codes. the statement "mufflers:...increases engine back pressure, hampering performance" is quite the misnomer. you might gain 1hp from removal. might...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
DiCaprio
Just a Gaijin

Drives: 2006 Yaris 4 door 1.3l
I got it from a Mustang Page. With small 4 cylinder engine you won't gain much power obviously.
DiCaprio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
You have removed the resonator and shifted the secondary cat.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Thanks! Not what I would have preferred. This was done by the exhaust guy.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 09-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCaprio View Post
Bare in mind that without a resonator (Part B) you might get some nasty frequencies that lead to loud buzzing and droning which can get really annoying over time.

I found a good explaination between the difference between a muffler and a resonator on the internet:

Mufflers:
Lowers sound level
Usually packed with fiberglass
Does not eliminate certain frequencies of sound (droning)
Increases engine back pressure, hampering performance

Resonators:
Almost straight pipe sound level
Cancels certain frequencies to stop droning and obnoxious noise
Not adjustable at all, you either like it or you dont
Decreases engine back pressure, increasing performance
Thanks, DiCaprio. I am experiencing loud droing between 1500 and 1700 rpm. and I want my resonator back. I did replace the section of pipe and I think everything is sealed up - no leaks contributing to additional noise. I am going to ask the fella that did my exhaust if he happens to still have my resonator. If not, I wonder if there is an aftermarket one I could splice in.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
you could remove both A and B and it will have no effect on computer fault codes. the statement "mufflers:...increases engine back pressure, hampering performance" is quite the misnomer. you might gain 1hp from removal. might...
Thanks, SirDigby. I have no interest in increasing horsepower. I only want my exhaust to sound stock, or as close to that as possible. I'm a little disappointed that the resonator was removed, but I'm guessing it must have been in hard shape, otherwise he would not have removed it.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Doesnt matter what motor it is...changing the muffler can make a large difference. Its all up to the original design. On a yaris with stock midpjpe...there aint much to be gained. But when you do the whole system...they pick up ALOT. My car in particular makes 107/110 at the wheels with a header, full custom exhaust, tooter spacer and a SRI.

No all mufflers have fiberglass nor restrictive. There is so many different designs out there. Some use rockwool. Some use ceramic filler. Some are baffled, some have multiple tubes.

Late model toyotas are especially sensitive to throwing a p0420. Your secondary cat and resonator (that was deleted) have no influence on that code. Also the downstream o2 sensor should fluctuate...thats perfectly normal operation.

I would check you donut connection at the header/manifold. Make sure the gasket/donut is in good shape...if not replace with a genuine toyota part. Most aftermarket ones are too soft and wear out fast...or not fit right. Make sure the spring bolts are in place which allow for engine movement.

Next is the primary cat original? It could be worn out if you got high mileage. If it was replaced...it would need to be replaced with a heavy loaded converter. Most standard converters do not do as much as stock and will throw a code. Or you can space out the rear o2. I run a 100cell metal core race unit on mine with a spacer.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Doesnt matter what motor it is...changing the muffler can make a large difference. Its all up to the original design. On a yaris with stock midpjpe...there aint much to be gained. But when you do the whole system...they pick up ALOT. My car in particular makes 107/110 at the wheels with a header, full custom exhaust, tooter spacer and a SRI.

No all mufflers have fiberglass nor restrictive. There is so many different designs out there. Some use rockwool. Some use ceramic filler. Some are baffled, some have multiple tubes.

Late model toyotas are especially sensitive to throwing a p0420. Your secondary cat and resonator (that was deleted) have no influence on that code. Also the downstream o2 sensor should fluctuate...thats perfectly normal operation.

I would check you donut connection at the header/manifold. Make sure the gasket/donut is in good shape...if not replace with a genuine toyota part. Most aftermarket ones are too soft and wear out fast...or not fit right. Make sure the spring bolts are in place which allow for engine movement.

Next is the primary cat original? It could be worn out if you got high mileage. If it was replaced...it would need to be replaced with a heavy loaded converter. Most standard converters do not do as much as stock and will throw a code. Or you can space out the rear o2. I run a 100cell metal core race unit on mine with a spacer.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I was speaking with my 'exhaust guy' today. He would like to pick up a used catalytic converter and weld it in in the place where the original resonator was. He says it will accomplish the same thing in terms of reducing the droning. While he has the car on the hoist, he's going to replace my output shaft seal as he thinks he may have damaged it. He had to pull the 1/2 shaft off to lean the engine forward when accessing the manifold bolts. I have been losing a bit of transmission fluid, but keeping a close eye on teh level and topping up as necessary.

Before, I had him replace my manifold as the flange was completely rusted off. He used a new gasket that I provided him with as well as new springs and bolts.

On a positive note, moving the rear 02 sensor back out of the flow with a couple of sparkplug defoulers eliminated my P0420 code. Going on 2 days now with no MIL. I couldn't go more than 15 - 20 minutes without the code reappearing before the sparkplug defouler trick.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
I have a question pertaining to exhaust mods but its in a little different direction. How would performance be affected if you left the primary cat, the resonator, and installed a high flow muffler upstream?
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote