Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
tinymilad

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 1.5I 5MT
Take the long way home on the highway or short trip home through city?

Hi. I am wondering what's best for my engine. Should I drive to work on the highway for 20 miles on way or take the 12 miles city trip. If I take the highway I have 5 stop light all the way. If I take the city I am constantly in stop and go traffic. what do u think?
tinymilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
engines, any and all of them, operate most efficiently and are less prone to failure and wear and tear when they run at one constant speed so long as said speed is within their operational limits. Changing speeds causes engines to deteriorate faster than if they do not have to change speeds. That being said, the highway trip will allow your engine to run at or near one speed for the duration of the trip while city driving will require your engine to almost constantly vary speed. Purely from a what's better for your engine standpoint, the highway, if its relatively unhilly is the better bet.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Which is more enjoyable?

Personally, I have several "detours" to avoid traffic and which are more pleasant. Sure, they add 10-15 miles to my commute; but with the great gas mileage of the Yaris it is no biggie. I hate rush-hour commuting and it is even worse when it rains; so I try to avoid it as much as possible. Plus, there is nothing better than being on a wide-open, scenic road with the window down and enjoying a good drive!

Oh, and what Rich K said!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Go highway. Better for the car, baetter for your sanity and actually probably safer too.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Definitely highway. Not only is it better for your engine as Rich pointed out, but it's better for just about ever other component of your car.

Most brake wear happens in the city.

The city wears on your transmission far more than the constant highway gear.

Even your suspension, tires, and steering components, all wear faster in city driving.

Plus, your gas mileage is better (even considering the longer distance most of the time).

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I am in a simular situation. I take the backroads to get home from work and avoid the freeway mainly because of traffic though. But in return i switched to amsoil synthetic oil. Which should help with engine protection a bit more.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
In general, stop and go traffic is always the worst, but factors I can think of which would influence my decision are:

1) Time to take each trip - If it's bad stop and go traffic, I'd imagine time is pretty close

2) Speed - If you have to drive 75 mph on the highway, Fuel efficiency and less wear and tear gains will be minimized. If you can go under 55mpg on the highway you'll have a chance to break 50mpg and put very little wear and tear on your car. If you're able to coast through the city and use the brakes very little by timing lights you'll be able to greatly reduce wear and tear and reduce the FE gain from going highway.

I'd say in general hwy is better, but I can't say in your case without knowing a lot more details.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
tinymilad

Thank you :) I usually drive about 60 mph unless I am running late, If late then i usually drive 75 to 80. i drive a stick shift so it is alot of shifting in the city, the city is flat but the highway has couple of hills up and down going home up north. :)
It's alot of shifting in the city but 8 miles less :) in a one way drive. 20 m v.s. 12 m
Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Have you read this article on cleanmpg.com?

It will teach you how to maximize your FE under different conditions. Since you're driving a stick, I would bet you can get awesome FE in city traffic if you're willing to do a lot of work. Hwy driving will yield you higher FE with less work, but you might actually be able to get higher FE in the city once you become experienced at using various techniques only available to stick drivers.

If the city is slow and congested and the hwy is not clogged and you are able to go 60 mph or less, I would be surprised if going highway wasn't the best way to go for helping your car run better for longer, but with the distance being nearly 40% longer over your highway route; for me; the time of each route would probably be the deciding factor. If the time is close, I would go hwy for sure.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #10
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinymilad View Post
Thank you :) I usually drive about 60 mph unless I am running late, If late then i usually drive 75 to 80. i drive a stick shift so it is alot of shifting in the city, the city is flat but the highway has couple of hills up and down going home up north. :)
It's alot of shifting in the city but 8 miles less :) in a one way drive. 20 m v.s. 12 m
Good to see you made it back after the hack. Drive the longer route to unwind from work.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
tinymilad

Thank you Guys, It's faster to take the highway. :)