Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Scratch Repair

Ok, heres the situation, I got hit...

A Saturn Vue backed into my car on the passenger door, but ran along the side all the way to my mirrors, but the silver paint wiped off clean, but now i have an area that is lightly scratched....now, I need to know how to clean it up, smooth out the area, it doesnt go down to metal, just a layer or two of paint and clear.

Any Ideas?
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:09 AM   #2
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Can you show us pic or two?

My first suggestion would be to hit it up with Meguiars ScratchX - it's totally safe as a DIY product, and pretty damn effective. It has saved my wife's life twice now, as it successfuly removed the scratches she made

If that doesn't work you'll need to go into a heavy cutting compound, followed by lighter levels of cut to smooth it out - probably best left to a pro seeing as you'd spend more just on product to DIY than what a shop would charge for the job.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
LoudYar

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
Can you show us pic or two?

My first suggestion would be to hit it up with Meguiars ScratchX - it's totally safe as a DIY product, and pretty damn effective. It has saved my wife's life twice now, as it successfuly removed the scratches she made

If that doesn't work you'll need to go into a heavy cutting compound, followed by lighter levels of cut to smooth it out - probably best left to a pro seeing as you'd spend more just on product to DIY than what a shop would charge for the job.
I was looking around for a product to remove scratches.

Thanks a lot, i'll have to go down to Canadian Tire this weekend, and pick this product up. I wanna give the Yar a good wash this weekend, hopefully the weather will cooperate with me, so i can get it looking good
LoudYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
ScratchX is great for small, fine scratches. It covers up the scratches quite well without stripping the clearcoat.

Meguiar's stuff is generally pretty KICK ASS.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
MeggiemobileSFLA

Drives: yaris sedan
I have a couple super fine scratches on my trunk( I think the cat jumped up there) They are white which i guess means it went through the clearcoat?? I bought Meg's scratch X but it didnt do anything... Do you think i didnt leave it on long enough or are my scratches gonna require a pro's help? I mean you cant even see them in the sunlight, you have to look at the right angle. Doesnt seem that bad but its bugging the crap out of me that i cant fix it myself
MeggiemobileSFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
scratch x should definately help whatever the problem is but it isn't going to make a big mess look perfect, scratch x is about the best stuff I know of, may take some elbow grease, you can't just put it on and wipe it off to get results, you may have to really WORK at it multiple times, then apply some thick wax, if this doesn't get thes results you desire you may have to consult a body paint shop or try some touch up, but I personally wouldn't try touch up on a big area, just for really small stuff
Old 04-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I usually take care of stuff like that with rubbing compound and some elbow grease.... some times use the buffer on the big spots
Old 04-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

basically what these polish compounds do is hide the larger scratches with lots of little tiny scratches that aren't visible, you are going to have to work and work at those scratchs but they should come out looking great
Old 04-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

i've never used an electric buffer but i guess for someone who knows how to handle one you could save a ton of time and sweat