Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
Tonavi

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Random tire thumping noise

I just bought a 1983 Land Cruiser and have been driving on it all over without incident until today. It has 33x12.5 tires on it, too.

Anyways, when I was on 96 (a 50 mph road, relatively smooth), I heard this thumping noise coming from the front left tire. It sounded like a flat tire, and the noise is definitely coming from the tire (sounds like a puncture but it isn't). When I turn real sharp, it goes away sometimes, but there really isn't a pattern. AND about 100 feet from my house, the noise went away. I just went to get gas, and the noise was gone. On the way home, it came back.

I read online and a bad wheel bearing could be the cause along with a bad tire, but those are constant issues, not random ones. The truck was sitting all winter if that helps, but I inspected the tires and found nothing out of the ordinary other than a little cracking between the knobs, the tread is still good and there is no bulges or flat spots.

Any ideas?
Tonavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
you got nailed,.,.check for nail or screw on ur tires..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Tonavi

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I found out what it was...

Just for fun, I checked the tightness on the lugs with my hand and got at least 3 full turns off of every one of them on every corner! I torqued them down and they still come loose after 10 or so miles. I need to take the wheels off and clean the rust off of the hubs and then I should be good to go.
Tonavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
oh yah that will do it it happen to me once..one lug was loose...atleast its fixed..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
BDD

Drives: Poor with a nice bicycle.
Good thing you figured it out now... could have been devastating!
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I got hit head-on by a wheel from an oncoming Oldsmobile once. Smashed in the front of my big Dodge Ramcharger. Would've killed me if it'd come through the windshield. Keep those lugs snug.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
I used to work (4 years ago) at a Jeep dealership as a parts/courtesy driver, one day I had to take a customer's Jeep Grand Cherokee back to Baltimore on I-95, On the way to the highway, the Jeep started to shake and vibrate all over the place, well next thing I noticed was the wheel rolling right by me crossed oncoming traffic and landed in someone's yard. Now I'm in a Jeep so next that happened the left front fell to the road and I had no brakes, I was able to still use the E-brake to stop, but whew I had never been so scared in my life. I called the shop and told them what had happened, next thing the guy that was working on the Jeep, was running up the road and he had all the lugs nuts in his hand, he had forgot to put the lugs back on. They then got the tire back on the Jeep and all was good, but I was not about to drive it after all that, so I didn't. Just thought I share that story with you. It's is very scary I could have been killed if I were to have been on I-95 when it had happened.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote