Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
karl lee
MY baby VIOS

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Which method use higher fuel?

Does anyone know which method uses higher fuel during idling? Or all using same amount of fuel?

1. Put gear in neutral press on foot brake.
2. Gear in D, press on foot brake.
3. Put gear in park mode and hand brake/foot brake.
karl lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Transmission in D probably uses a little more, because the engine's connected through the torque converter to the wheels. Release the brakes and you'll roll off. Power's being expended. In either neutral or park, the engine's disengaged from the drive. I doubt you'll be able to tell any difference in practice. If you'd be spending a lot of time idling, it's better to shut the engine off.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
Tranny in P?? That would be great if your moving and pull the break : )

Either way you sould not be moving.

#1 or #2, no way for #3
Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

All 3 are not moving. Why "no way for #3?" That makes no sense.

Your mileage is 0 in all of these cases, so extended stationary idling should be avoided, but it's a legitimate question as to whether the idling hourly fuel consumption is higher with the transmission engaged or not.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
I said no way for #3 thinking that you can coast during idling for the #1 and 2.

But I guess this is not about MPG's, just about using gas in general. Maybe I dont really understand the question : )
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
I think the question assumes the car is stationary.
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Having tested this out with the scangauge using the less amount of GPH (gallons per hour) is in neutral when stopped. The GPH does increase in drive with the brakes on.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
A better question is when the hummer coming behind you isn't paying attention because they are on their phone and eating a big mac, which method will allow you to step on the gas and get out of the way the fastest. Well, maybe my scenario doesn't work in singapore, but the point is in neutral, park, or with the car off, you can't move quickly in an emergency situation, and you're saving 20 dollars tops if you keep the car 10 years.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
A better question is when the hummer coming behind you isn't paying attention because they are on their phone and eating a big mac, which method will allow you to step on the gas and get out of the way the fastest. Well, maybe my scenario doesn't work in singapore, but the point is in neutral, park, or with the car off, you can't move quickly in an emergency situation, and you're saving 20 dollars tops if you keep the car 10 years.
+1
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
McTimson

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door
Stepping on the gas won't do you much good if you're in a line of cars that are stopped.

Sure, there are situations where you might need to floor it quickly, but those situations are usually at red lights when you're the first car, and there's traffic crossing in front of you. So stepping on the gas to avoid being rear ended means increasing your chance of being hit from the side from another cheeseburger eating Hummer driver.

Anyway, neutral definitely consumes less fuel than staying in drive. If it's a long light, turning the engine off uses the least fuel.
McTimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
karl lee
MY baby VIOS

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Sorry all. I think my question posted making slightly confusion. The question is when at traffic light, Car engine ON and stationary.

Hi Astroman,

Can scangauge tested on those 3 method? And What is the result shown?
karl lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Zaphod

Drives: Big Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Having tested this out with the scangauge using the less amount of GPH (gallons per hour) is in neutral when stopped. The GPH does increase in drive with the brakes on.
Just out of curiosity (I don't have an auto), but does it idle lower in park than neutral?
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Yes, the scangauge can test all 3 methods. I've been using one for 2 years now and love it. As for the idle, the RPMs do increase when you put it in neutral vs. D with the brakes on BUT fuel consumption drops (GPH). It's not a little drop either, I average anywhere from .05-.2 gph difference depending on how long I've been driving, temperature, etc.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Zaphod

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTimson View Post
Stepping on the gas won't do you much good if you're in a line of cars that are stopped.

Sure, there are situations where you might need to floor it quickly, but those situations are usually at red lights when you're the first car, and there's traffic crossing in front of you. So stepping on the gas to avoid being rear ended means increasing your chance of being hit from the side from another cheeseburger eating Hummer driver.

Anyway, neutral definitely consumes less fuel than staying in drive. If it's a long light, turning the engine off uses the least fuel.
I agree, leaving a bit of space to allow a left or right turn helps, but if you're pinned in you're pinned in. All you can do then is honk your horn and hope they drop the cheeseburger/cell phone.

I always check the speed of approaching vehicles until I've got a car or two behind me, especially when riding the motorcycle.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
I agree, leaving a bit of space to allow a left or right turn helps, but if you're pinned in you're pinned in. All you can do then is honk your horn and hope they drop the cheeseburger/cell phone.
I dunno about you, but I've honked my horn at people when they were getting dangerously close to my car, and the only reaction I received was that they got even closer. Like they couldn't hear the horn or something. It is a rather underpowered horn, and if the person is in their Hummer (or other vehicle), windows up, talking on the phone or playing the radio loudly, chances are they won't hear it either. Unfortunately.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #16
Zaphod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
I dunno about you, but I've honked my horn at people when they were getting dangerously close to my car, and the only reaction I received was that they got even closer. Like they couldn't hear the horn or something. It is a rather underpowered horn, and if the person is in their Hummer (or other vehicle), windows up, talking on the phone or playing the radio loudly, chances are they won't hear it either. Unfortunately.
You're probably right. I haven't had to do that with the Yaris yet thankfully.

But I've certainly had to do it more than once on the Harley ... it's true that people do tend to look right through motorcycles.

I did have a lady rear end my Wrangler once. Luckily, most of the damage was to the hitch mounted bike rack and her car. But ever since I've always payed closer attention to approaching vehicles.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:46 PM   #17
chongopants
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via AIM to chongopants Send a message via MSN to chongopants
3 or 2
chongopants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
Just out of curiosity (I don't have an auto), but does it idle lower in park than neutral?
No. It's in neutral either way. Park just engages a pawl to hold the car in place.