Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
spocksleftball

Drives: 2011 yaris
noob racing

I am a complete noob, but that has never stopped me before. I am interested in doing autocross. I have no idea of where to begin or what I need other than a helment. I have a 2011 yaris with street tires and no mods. What do I do now?
spocksleftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Here's an initial read for ya.

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...on-Setup-Guide
Old 04-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
After the helmet, the very simple version is to go find an autocross, you have everything you need. I know there are a couple people in the FL area that are autocrossing on here.

There are an insane amount of classes, specifically one for novices as well, so you'll fit in fine.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
where in florida? there is a Central florida region in orlando area, and Buccaneer region in jacksonville area. I am from savannah and go to jacksonville sometimes.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
I know NASA is starting a autocross program down there, check it out

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ What they said. If you have a car that isn't leaking anything, and a helmet, go race!

I would try to pick an autocross event where you get more than 3 runs like sanctioned SCCA events here. We have Speed Ventures here in SoCal for example, and you get a lot more seat time to practice, learn the course, and learn how to go faster without hyperventilating (my first bad habit: not breathing, lol).
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
hey leftball not like it matters but do you have m/t or a/t ? just wondering and welcomb to yw
Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
ilikerice

Even if you dont have a helmet. Usually SCCA regions have loaner helmets.. kinda stinky, but usually do and masking tape to put some numbers and letters on. Just bring you and your car. There will be a tech inspection. Basically just checking for safety stuff, ex. battery tied down, No threads showing in tires, give a good push on wheels to check ball joints, subs and amps bolted down, interior is free of moving objects, drivers side floor mat removed, fluids topped off. some of the basic stuff.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56517

I've always preferred NASA over SCCA because you get 5 to 8 runs, and the classification system allows for freedom when modifying your car.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
spocksleftball

Drives: 2011 yaris
Thanks all. I am in orlando area. Manual tranny, will get a helmet and show up. :)
spocksleftball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
ilikerice

http://www.cfrsolo2.com/

that should help you out. next event is April 22. @ Deland.

click on the events on the left and there is a link for directions how to get there. Enjoy and good luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #12
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Yeah, if its a SCCA race you can usually borrow a helmet but if you plan on doing it in the future its best to buy one. If they offer fun runs or extra runs spend the few extra dollars and buy them their well worth the money, and ALWAYS GRAB AN INSTRUCTOR its easy to get lost, there is no shame in asking for help.

One thing to remember do not expect to be fast, you will be likely be slower than you imagine and that's okay the first 3-5 events will likely be throw away's in terms of points/placing but will be worth their weight in gold for seat time. The stock Yaris runs in H Stock if you have any confusion about classing.

My region is pretty anal about interior clutter including the spare tire and jack so keep the car clean.

BTW use painters tape unless your car is blue it doesn't leave glue spots on the paint.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56517

I've always preferred NASA over SCCA because you get 5 to 8 runs, and the classification system allows for freedom when modifying your car.
heh all the nasa events are even further away than the SCCA events.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
The best online tutorial for SCCA Solo:

http://www.rmsolo.org/rmsoloschool/index.html
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote