Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM   #73
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHDVIPbB View Post
Oh how wrong that last sentence is. There have been two in my region that have placed in the top 3 every event and even a few first place finishes. Driver experience is key.
against what, and how many cars in H stock>?

what counts is what happens at nationals.

i am fast in south florida

i am slow, extremely slow on a national level.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM   #74
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Well one Yaris does compete on a National level.
06 Scion tC
06 Mazda 6
92 Honda Civic
05 Scion xB
And a small handful of others that made it to most, but not all of the events.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #75
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Tamago what about a Yaris on slicks? You can run those in HS. Just make sure you don't roll it.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #76
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
Tamago what about a Yaris on slicks? You can run those in HS. Just make sure you don't roll it.
exactly.

if you run slicks in HS, go buy that FSB. it goes against everything i say about a big front bar, but for the lvoe of god don't roll it
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 PM   #77
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
ok....

for what its worth

I have driven my Yaris in HS, STS and now SM.... out of every class best bang for you buck is STS - hands down. Have a few bolt ons, beat some crappy newbs and call it a day.

HS was fun to me cause I could scare the living **** out of anyone due to the body roll, definitely worth a laugh, but you will NEVER really be competitive even with RComps in HStock. The car just doesn't have the characteristics of the worst year civic or <insert-any-crappy-HS-car-here>

But by far my biggest contribution -

After spending lots of both time and money on the Supercharger, RComps, Spacers (no offense Joel), Water/Meth, Springs and Sway bar.... in a heart beat I'd give it all up to go back to do it over again and spend all my money on the miata I picked up in July. Even with all of this I am not really competitive for FTD and on occasion get it handed to me by a stock mr2/miata. Its not that I'm not a good enough driver, its that the yaris just WAS NOT DESIGNED to do this type of driving - no matter what anyone says. As long as you keep that in perspective the yaris is a fun toy to screw with people at the track

Part of the appeal for me is to be the girl (considering I've seen only 2 other females at my region in the past 2 years) and to stay mid-pack in my econocar.

If you want to go fast and compete nationally, I hate to say it, but stick to what works and get a beater miata/civic/focus/mr2 and start there. Start with something fully independent, something seriously supported in the racing community and get lots of seat time. It sucks but if you don't accept that the Yaris will never be a national competitor you will waste lots of time, effort and money chasing that pipe dream :/

On a happier note, NOTHING beats scaring the hell out of someone in my car at the track who has just written me off as some chick with a hatchback up there to support her boyfriend
Old 10-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #78
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

I'm not going to run on slicks but your saying that if you want to run slicks in HS get the front sway bar from Garm? Why would you do that?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #79
Morgan

Quote:
I'm not going to run on slicks but your saying that if you want to run slicks in HS get the front sway bar from Garm? Why would you do that?
you can 'legally' run a front sway bar in HS, but you really don't need one in the yaris, it understeers enough as is?

For stock you need some nicely adjustable shocks, r-comps, roll cage (maybe?) and take your spare tire out... there's not a whole lot you can do with the Yaris but the jump to STS is exepensive - GL
Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 PM   #80
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
ok....

for what its worth

I have driven my Yaris in HS, STS and now SM.... out of every class best bang for you buck is STS - hands down. Have a few bolt ons, beat some crappy newbs and call it a day.

HS was fun to me cause I could scare the living **** out of anyone due to the body roll, definitely worth a laugh, but you will NEVER really be competitive even with RComps in HStock. The car just doesn't have the characteristics of the worst year civic or <insert-any-crappy-HS-car-here>

But by far my biggest contribution -

After spending lots of both time and money on the Supercharger, RComps, Spacers (no offense Joel), Water/Meth, Springs and Sway bar.... in a heart beat I'd give it all up to go back to do it over again and spend all my money on the miata I picked up in July. Even with all of this I am not really competitive for FTD and on occasion get it handed to me by a stock mr2/miata. Its not that I'm not a good enough driver, its that the yaris just WAS NOT DESIGNED to do this type of driving - no matter what anyone says. As long as you keep that in perspective the yaris is a fun toy to screw with people at the track

Part of the appeal for me is to be the girl (considering I've seen only 2 other females at my region in the past 2 years) and to stay mid-pack in my econocar.

If you want to go fast and compete nationally, I hate to say it, but stick to what works and get a beater miata/civic/focus/mr2 and start there. Start with something fully independent, something seriously supported in the racing community and get lots of seat time. It sucks but if you don't accept that the Yaris will never be a national competitor you will waste lots of time, effort and money chasing that pipe dream :/

On a happier note, NOTHING beats scaring the hell out of someone in my car at the track who has just written me off as some chick with a hatchback up there to support her boyfriend
Just so people new to autoX are not confused here, STS is now called ST, and what used to be STS2 is now STS. Difference is that 2-seat cars are classed separately from 4-seaters. That changed this year, so people who have run it in the past are referring to the old class name. You won't ever run against miatas.

Morgan, you rock!
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #81
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

I wasw going off of what tamago said. If you look at a classing sheet you can change your FSB in HS. Im not going to do this because my car is already classed in ST now but only just got classed there. I have only ran in 2 events this year and they were in SM because my back seat was out.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 PM   #82
Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
Just so people new to autoX are not confused here, STS is now called ST, and what used to be STS2 is now STS. Difference is that 2-seat cars are classed separately from 4-seaters. That changed this year, so people who have run it in the past are referring to the old class name. You won't ever run against miatas.

Morgan, you rock!
on the class naming issue - I'm glad someone has explained that to me, our region is slightly archaic in the classing division but yes what you said makes sense. Yaris' compete against other fwd, with bolt ons and miatas compete in the class that are 2 seaters, with ~bolt ons

and thanks hope that info helped, even if it wasn't all good news
Old 10-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #83
Tamago

Quote:
I wasw going off of what tamago said. If you look at a classing sheet you can change your FSB in HS. Im not going to do this because my car is already classed in ST now but only just got classed there. I have only ran in 2 events this year and they were in SM because my back seat was out.
if you're not running R comps don't waste your time with an FSB.

just don't flip your yaris please
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #84
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

I was only wondering why you recommend a FSB when running slicks?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #85
Tamago

Quote:
I was only wondering why you recommend a FSB when running slicks?
so you don't flip your stock-height yaris.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #86
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Ok simple enough.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #87
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
How would you flip it? I ran my xB with r-compounds and never once did anyone say it looked like I was about to flip. Our cars are not top heavy like most people think.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #88
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
but whyyyyyyyy!!!!

it's sad that a supercharger puts you in SM, when the car could technically be thrown in STX or STU and be competitive without dominating.
I was in SM without a supercharger. It's just fun trying to see how well you can do in a certain category. Kinda like the David VS Goliath. I don't really care if I win. The car can't win in SM without a Supercharger and super big tires, but it's fun trying to get there!

For me, it's all about the fun. If you're not having fun, what's the point? Most people don't get paid to do this and it's all about the grassroots of the sport. Having fun, learning about your car and meeting people. I'm too old to worry about being uber competitive. My reaction time is too slow and my vision is failing me.

For serious Auto x'rs you gotta remember that it's the fun that counts.

When you auto x in the cold winter rain and slush and snow,,,,,sometimes its not fun.

We do this in the winter!!
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #89
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHDVIPbB View Post
How would you flip it? I ran my xB with r-compounds and never once did anyone say it looked like I was about to flip. Our cars are not top heavy like most people think.
Ohhhhh trust me. it can happen. I've seen a few flip in Japan.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #90
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i have got to say, i loooooove seeing the racing forum finally hoppin!

that being said, yes, the car is not exactly sporty. i think if you are really serious about autox and you want to be competitive on a national level, you are really starting with a hand tied behind your back. that being said, when i bought my car, autox was not my intention. i bought it bc it was practical as hell, cheap, and could be fun with a few light mods. well, i think i am right on all those fronts! i have really enjoyed the car for the purpose it serves for me. i am not going out to be HPDE national champion, or win regional autox events, but if i can compete locally, cool. if i can have fun at a track day, even better! i have moved 5 times with the car (school, bouncing around from apartment to apartment) and each time, the car was perfect for the job.

so is it going to be a class changing competitior? probably not, but it is still going to be fun and cheap! when i finish school and have a little bit of money, i plan on getting an S2000 and trying my hand at regional/national level autox and then NASA TT's. But i may just look into doing TT's with the yaris as well, i dunno. but i reeeeally want an S2k if i get into serious racing and keep the yaris for daily driving.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote