Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #1
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Custom install - Hertz, eD, JL - lots of pics

I am having a local shop (http://www.blvdcustoms.com/) install a custom setup in to my LB. Components consist of the following:

HU: JVC KW-AVX800
Front stage: Hertz HSK 163
Sub: JL W6v2
Amps: Elemental Designs nine.4 4ch for speakers, Alpine PDX 1.600 for sub

Hertz is an Italian company that I'd never heard of. I demo'd the speakers they had setup in house and I was convinced. Great sounding stuff! http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/

If you've never heard of Elemental Designs, you might want to check them out to. Made right here in the USA, great quality and even better prices: http://www.edesignaudio.com/

The Hertz's are a 3 way setup containing a 6.5" woofer, 3 inch mid & 1" tweeter. The woofer will be placed in the door and the mid and tweeter are being installed inside of custom kickpanels. My main focus on this setup are clarity and staging and after talking with the install guys, we agreed that this should work best. The HU I am using is a few years old, I picked up it last year for like $200 off a guy on a local forum. I also have a roll of eDead that is going in the doors and in the rear trunk area where the amp rack and sub are being installed.

Here a some pics of the car as of yesterday. Excuse the quality, these were all taken with my iPhone:

The bubble wrapped amp is the nine.4

Passenger door completed with sound deadening. The area behind the woofer location is also filled with foam absorber. Makes a big difference.

If you haven't been to the shops website, take a few mins and click the link. These guys work on everything from your Yaris type Econobox to million dollar Ferrari's and stuff like that. Here are some pics of the cars right next to mine in the bay:

Uh huh, that's a GT500. Not sure of the year.

But I am sure of the owner

Then next to the Shelby, you have this beast:

And they're having a slow week. LOL

Venture out into the lobby, and there's some curious stuff going on. Again if you clicked the link to their shop, you'd recognize this car:

Check out da wheeeeeeeeeeeeelzzzzzzzzzzz. 26's sittin high lol

Yea, they don't come from MB like that. lol

Then there's this one on the other side of the lobby:

In case you're wondering what type of car it is:

Yes, that's a 300C. Without a top. Talk about custom!

Oh it doesn't end there! Check out the parking lot:

Bentley, Lambo, Ford GT...you get the point.

Then there's my lonely little ride I drove to the shop in

Car should be done tomorrow (hopefully). I'll take better pics and let you guys know how it sounds. I can't wait!

- The Spectacle
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I wish there was a shop like that down here in california. I been having trouble finding a really good shop to do my stereo that i can trust. After having several hacks jobs on my cars over the years.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
wow high end supercars..nice. i want the shelby.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I wish there was a shop like that down here in california. I been having trouble finding a really good shop to do my stereo that i can trust. After having several hacks jobs on my cars over the years.
Just do it yourself. You'll learn a new skill and you don't have to worry about what shortcuts they are taking behind closed doors.
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Why out of curiosity did they not dynamat (or whatever brand) the ENTIRE door panel? Those holes need to be covered and the outer skin needs attention.

Aside from that, I love the Hertz line AND the parent company! I'll be picking up an Audison bit one for my Yaris. Gotta have a good processor!

More pics with the process and finished product!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
The Spectacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Why out of curiosity did they not dynamat (or whatever brand) the ENTIRE door panel? Those holes need to be covered and the outer skin needs attention.

Aside from that, I love the Hertz line AND the parent company! I'll be picking up an Audison bit one for my Yaris. Gotta have a good processor!

More pics with the process and finished product!
What part of the panel did you NOT see dampened? The eDead is applied to both inner and outer skins of the door panel. Why would you cover any holes? The deadening is designed to absorb vibration...its not like bondo lol

They shop tried to get me to switch out for an Alpine HU so they could install one of those fancy $150 processors that work directly with it for time alignment tuning. I'm waiting to see if I think its necessary before I spend that kind of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
Word.
Well aren't you a super sleuth. You like my homie G pose??? I got more of them I can send you personally, since you like e-stalking me and all. Let me know speed racer.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 PM   #7
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
the shelby looks like a '67. what a gorgeous car. my DREAM muscle car...aka..."Eleanor"
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

...Well...

Aren't I a beginner? I don't see the outer skin having any of the *grumble* E-dead on it. Perhaps it's the reflection off the moisture barrier that was put back on the car. Those gaps in the door should be covered. You'd not need the moisture barrier in that case. You'd have better noise floor reduction as well. Cover that e-dead with ensolite and it'll be even quieter.

This is what a REAL sound dampening jobbie SHOULD look like:

That's a door...No holes left. This door is DEAD.

That's the passenger's side floor pan. Second Skin Damplifier pro, Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro, AND Overkill Pro. This is on the entire bottom pan of the car.

THIS is a sound deadening job. This is from an acquaintence of mine who competes in MECA and IASCA. If you don't know what those are then I won't tell you much more.

It's easy to kill the holes on the Yaris. I would tell someone who wants to listen on how to do it...
Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #9
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
^ ....aaaaaand how much weight did that add?
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:15 AM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

oooh...That's not the point. The point was to show a competition quality sound deadening job.

Over a whole car (floor, doors, firewall, trunk, and roof), two layers of premium sound deadening and at least one damping layer like Luxury Liner or Ensolite, you're looking at around 100 lbs.

...all you need to do is diet or stop dating fat chicks and you've made up the difference right there.

Okay, I apologize. That was off color. The point is made though. Our Yarii are VERY noisy, a proper deadening job will take car of that.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:17 AM   #11
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
lol
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
What SQComp said is 100% true. My outside door skin on my front drivers-side door looked like that, two layers of deadening over most of it, then had a double-layer of Ensolite put on behind the speakers, then I used panels of 20-mil plastic sheeting (basically the stuff they make for-sale real estate signs out of) cut to fit the openings and layed in place with silicone sealant. Let that set, then another double-layer of the mat on top of the plastic sheeting, one layer of ensolite there, and another layer of ensolite on the hidden-side of the plastic door panel as well. It added close to 8lbs the door just by itself, but the difference between the drivers-side and passenger-side door is frightening now. Just have to do the front floorpan, passenger-side door, firewall, and roof now.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:55 AM   #13
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
oooh...That's not the point. The point was to show a competition quality sound deadening job.
To compare to this consumer, non-competition job? gj you won the pissing match

Anywho, it looks like the point of the job was to stop rattling from the new sound system, and not to isolate the car from road noise.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
The Spectacle

The moisture barrier was removed and eDead was applied behind it everywhere on both inner and outer skin. I guess it doesn't show up well in the pics. With that said, Gideon is right on...I don't, and probably never will, compete in any type of competition so of course the deadening job is going to be less substantial. Kudos to you and your friend for all that hard work, but this is my DD...I'm not trying to take it that far.

Car may or may not be done today. Installer stayed late last night to work on it. I have to run a part over there today anyway, so I'm going to assess where it is and go from there. I should have updated pics a little later today.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely think this is an interesting project. I want to see what happens with this.

Well...didn't gideon just show me!

If rattling was the only problem that vehicles had, we could simply attempt to decouple all the car's suspect pieces. Unfortunately one of the main points of deadening is to reduce road noise. Just because a panel doesn't rattle doesn't mean that the car is quieter over all...the noise is still able to get into the cabin.

If you don't lower the noise floor...your vehicle's system is still working just as hard get get to a certain loudness.

*meh*
Old 04-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #16
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Again agreeing with SQComp. Even the stock speakers can sound pretty awesome if they're playing in near-silence. This degree of soundproofing is more akin to saying you have as much soundproofing as a Lexus, competition-quality soundproofing for me at least refers to audiophile-competition, not 'db drag racing' or any other maximum-volume sillyness. I'm all about actually hearing every little warble and squeak in my music as if I was wearing headphones. :-)
Old 04-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Quote:
Well...didn't gideon just show me!
Sure did, loser!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #18
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Sure did, loser!
haha..

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote