Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #19
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
at least this write up likes the 2010 YARIS . http://iguida.com/2010-toyota-yaris .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
specialeducator

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
you think would look at the sticker price and realize IT'S A $12,000 CAR!!!!! i love both my yarises, but i knew going in i wasn't going to have 'lexus' quality interiors or be exactly 'sporty' right out of the box! that's what the aftermarket is for if you want, but bottom line - this is an economy car that does everything it is supposed to do very well!
That's the bottom line of CR complaints- that the Yaris feels like a low cost car- duh!
specialeducator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #21
Yaris#2

Drives: 2010 5dr hatchback manual
Frankly, I spent less money and got more car than I expected. Since I don't live in my car, all I expect is for it to get me from point A to point B dependably and inexpensively with reasonable comfort on the way. I win!
Yaris#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #22
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
As someone who literally owns 20 years of cr reports auto issues, I can say they stopped being automotively relevant sometime in the late 90's. Be it politics or stupidity, their ratings are biased big time.

The bottom line is the Yaris is a great car. I've owned sports cars, and family sedans, and driven all sorts of others. The Yaris does what it does incredibly well, and it can carry 5 peoples comfortably and safely as well.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #23
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Consumer Reports is more concerned with where their paying sponsor is coming from. Consumer Reports will be extinct in a few years and quite frankly, I am surprised that people still pay for subscription.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #24
Crashmaster

Drives: 2 Door hatchback
While not having read the actual article, it would seem that CR isn't giving a "real world review" when it comes to the MPG, something it has always touted itself as doing. Those real world results would be CR's actual MPG during the test, something I would like to know what they averaged. Since 90% of my driving is highway miles, I can truly say that my MPG has stayed consistent at around 42. OK, the past couple of months it's been 41.983 or something like that, but who's counting.
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #25
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Even with the ABS issue I still love this car. I consistently get 40MPG, about 45MPG in the summer. If I had to do it over again I will still buy the Yaris again. 4 years and going strong!!
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #26
carlghoul

Drives: Fit, Scion XA, '91 Ford Festi
One of CR's biggest complaints has been the rear end sliding during sharp cornering, but I notice on Tirerack's consumer reviews of the Bridgestone Potenza RE 92's (the stock tires that come on all U.S. Yaris') everyone makes the same complaint no matter what kind of car those tires are on. Move up one size to some 195/55/15 tires and to a tire that sticks better, like a General Altimax UHP, and the problem is eliminated. CR used to favor simple, basic, practical cars like the Yaris. Whenever there was a choice of 2 engine sizes for a car, they always used to recommend the smaller engines to save fuel and money, saying the bigger engines were not neccessary. Now, they always recommend the bigger engine for more power and acceleration. They proclaim an expensive Lexus the "best car they've ever tested". Value is no longer even part of their evaluation. It may be as simple as the people in charge are much wealthier than before, so they live in a Lexus kind of world. I miss the old CR with black and white photos and an anti-conspicuous consumption attitude.
carlghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #27
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
yup , ain't what they used to be .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #28
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I'm happy with my Yaris, and that's all that matters.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #29
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlghoul View Post
One of CR's biggest complaints has been the rear end sliding during sharp cornering, but I notice on Tirerack's consumer reviews of the Bridgestone Potenza RE 92's (the stock tires that come on all U.S. Yaris') everyone makes the same complaint no matter what kind of car those tires are on.
<snip>.
Happily, all '09 cars, at least all that I have seen, came with Goodyear Eagle LS's. MUCH better tire (having had the '07 with the 92s, as well as the '09)
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:26 AM   #30
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
The Yaris is documented to be virtually the most trouble free car available and CR knows it. The reason they don't recommend it is because they feel it lacks in driving feel and interior materials quality. Thing is, it leads in every other category. But they place too much value in those two spots.

I totally disagree with their assessment.
If you want to experience REALLY cheap-looking and cheap-feeling interiors, try a new Ford Escape - the rental version. Makes a Yaris look and feel like a Rolls.
And this was an Escape with 7 miles on the clock, so it hadn't been beat on yet.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #31
talcum

Drives: Yaris 2008 3 dr 5 spd
Fine with me...

I don't mind if CU doesn't like the Yaris. I like the idea that not everyone will own a car like mine. If I wanted to drive the same car as everyone else, I'd have bought another Camry or Accord. So if CU steers em all to a Versa or Fit, fine with me.
talcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #32
RedStickHam

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
I get around 32-35MPG in my Yaris. However, my driving is almost all stop and go city driving, so that lowers it somewhat. In addition, here in south Louisiana, summer temperatures get well into the 90s, so running without A/C is difficult to impossible, which takes some MPG with it.

I haven't read Consumer Reports in a long time. Last year, my boss lent me the automotive issue because I was car shopping after my old car got totalled. They didn't recommend the Yaris, but I took a chance on it anyway. I liked its different styling and good mileage rating, along with the reliability reputation of Toyota.

The only complaints I really had were the center mounted speedometer took some getting used to, and there isn't much trunk space without putting the seats down, and the sound system is mediocre, but it's still a great little car for getting me to work, runnign errands, etc.
RedStickHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #33
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
funny how there is a such a difference between different sources.. CR hates the Yaris... but Car & Driver thought it was a decent car.... C&D was the tipping force that caused me to get the Yaris (over anything else... but primarily the Smartcar).
Old 04-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #34
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlghoul View Post
One of CR's biggest complaints has been the rear end sliding during sharp cornering
Gosh, in my wild youth I always thought of that as a "feature".
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #35
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
One of the things overlooked in my opinion is that the Yaris is primarily designed for the European market and sold in the USA and the new Fit is designed for the USA market. So European values- fuel economy and safety are paramount on the Yaris whereas on the Fit interior space, utility and safer handling (i.e. - understeer in the US is considered safer) got designed into the Fit.

The qualities like a wee bit of oversteer, and traction control, stability control etc. (even knee airbags- are virtually universal on Eurohatches and that's where the $ went for on our Yarises.

My wife is Dutch and her family members drive Yarises in Holland and they love them to death. So we Yaris owners here on Yaris World just have very sophisticated Euro taste and value what the Yaris has to offer. Consumers Reports doesn't. I seem to recollect an article some time back that made the point the Yaris hatchback was styled in France.

So maybe what we all need is a YARISWORLD beret!

Last edited by Lewis; 04-10-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #36
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
As someone who literally owns 20 years of cr reports auto issues, I can say they stopped being automotively relevant sometime in the late 90's. Be it politics or stupidity, their ratings are biased big time.
I'm sure this had nothing to do with the failing of the american car companies either... lol

You hit it on the head though, in the 90s CR was one of the most important tools any consumer could use. Now I prefer the little astrology pamphlets sold in line at the grocery store over CR.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote