Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #19
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I wouldn't expect a poor flywheel surface to cause that noise. Unless there are hot-spots or serious grooves, I've actually stopped machining flywheels. Some vehicles will get horrible pedal feel due to the removed material. I just scuff the flywheel with an abrasive disc. Occasionally you will get clutch chatter, but not bad.

Is your foot totally off the clutch when the noise happens? or still riding it.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
KorJax

Drives: None
Its only when riding it. I.e. part of the way engaged, I feel it right in the clutch pedal and if I punch it I will hear a WHRR sound and a really fast but not as intense vibration in the pedal
KorJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #21
Gil Gondreth

Drives: 07 yaris 3-door liftback
Very strange clunking from driver side tire - everything tried so far no go? ...

Does the noise happen only in first gear? To test it, skip first and accelerate from a dead stop in 2nd or even 3rd if you can pussy-foot it well enough. This way you should be able to rule out a gear-specific transmission problem. Just keep narrowing it down
Gil Gondreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #22
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Is there any possibility the clutch disc is in backwards? Most cars it is not possible to even do this, but there are a few. I suppose if the a spring was hitting it could cause a noise like that. Still seems too slow though.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #23
KorJax

Drives: None
Issue happens in higher gears, but its harder to get it to happen. If I do a bad/jerky shift I hear it, otherwise fine.

I don't think it would be that, but there is certainly a possibility. I wasn't the person to actually put the clutch on, the one who was said he for sure had done it right, said everything fit perfect and it was the right size etc so who knows. Either way I'm pretty sure the only real solution is to have to tear the whole thing down and take a look at it again, despite my friend's groans. I'm planning on taking it to a dealer/mechanic and having them take a look at it once I get money to do so again just to figure out what is wrong, but I'm sure they are just gonna say it is clutch related and the labor cost will be so high to just check and make sure from taking everything off to make sure what exactly it is.

The only other thing I can think of is the clutch I got was just shitty quality (somehow), but if everything else works fine with it, I find it hard to believe that it'll cause this random skip/clunk issue when shifting.
KorJax is offline   Reply With Quote