Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Exclamation How to route speaker wire to rear doors?

Well, I finally decided to get some speakers to install on the rear doors of my Yaris (yes, I have a 5-door), which didn't ship with rear speakers from the dealer, so no speaker wire was routed through the doors.
I tried removing the panel below the seatbelt thingy on the pillar on the middle of the car (the one between the front and rear door, on the sides), and routing the wire through the rubber 'hose' through which the power door and window wires go, all good up until then.

Then the defecation hit the oscillation... when I notice the 'hose' is completely sealed from the outside, and the wires that run through it go through a connector that's plugged into it. I can't figure out how else to route wire to my door.

I attached 2 images showing the plug and what I'm talking about, In case I wasn't clear enough...

I need help BADLY. I'll start losing light in about 3 or 4 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image0038.jpg (87.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg Image0039.jpg (97.9 KB, 216 views)

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Is there room to carefully drill a new hole through that connector next to those wires?
I have done that before, and it works pretty cool, because the plastic plug itself acts as a grommet.

Don't give up. There is always a way.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
While looking for a good place to drill into the plug, I just noticed a teeny tiny hole around the output there the factory connector plugs, and was able to route the speaker wire through that hole into the 'hose' that goes into the door.

Even tho I'm a little worried about the cable running against a bare edge of sheet metal in the edge of the plug, it beats the crap out of drilling into my car, plus I'm not planning on hanging anything off of those wires anytime soon, so it should do.

Thank you very much for replying! I actually had the drill in my hand when I found out about this.

I'll go back to finish my install now.

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote