Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #109
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
something else to consider is that Computer's (taylor) is an automatic S model.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #110
advocate

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
something else to consider is that Computer's (taylor) is an automatic S model.
True, and also, that the +/- 2MPH is actually because my wheels are oversized so the speedo reads slower than the car is actually moving.

From what I could tell everything worked fine in the cluster swap EXCEPT the brake light was always on, as well as the TPMS and the ABS lights.

high beams worked, low beams worked, ODO incremented from 171.8 to 172 or something like that (trip meter).

Should we try and import '09 JDM clusters?
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #111
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
Ok, so i think finding an 07 or an 08 ABS equipped Yaris might be a tough challenge...maybe impossible unless someone can do the drive to you~

How much would you say the kilometers increase to real time miles travelled? I honestly, dont mind servicing my vehicle sooner than expected, if it happens to be the case....

Or the other option, i wait it out till you play around with the calculations even more to get the odo to increment better?
I'm searching the local dealers to see who might have a used one that I can "test drive". If I find one, I'll just have to go to the dealership in my Xterra with a man purse with my netbook and CAN sniffer.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #112
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I just located an 08 Sedan with ABS about 20 minutes from me. Hopefully I can swing by before they sell it.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #113
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
ezhacker1 - thanks for the information on that for this thread.

advocate - thanks for taking note on what indicators were left on the display, it will help us out in the future in case someone DOES want to disable these...

CTScott - How long would it take to sniff the CAN bus? I know test drives don't usually last long here
Awesome, fingers crossed that a sedan w/ ABS is no different than a Liftback ABS....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #114
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
ezhacker1 - thanks for the information on that for this thread.

advocate - thanks for taking note on what indicators were left on the display, it will help us out in the future in case someone DOES want to disable these...

CTScott - How long would it take to sniff the CAN bus? I know test drives don't usually last long here
Awesome, fingers crossed that a sedan w/ ABS is no different than a Liftback ABS....
Literally about 30 seconds with the car moving is all that I need. I'm shooting for hitting the dealership on Monday, as I'm off all of next week. I'll have my wife come with me so that the sales dude doesn't tag along.

The VIN number for the sedan checks out as having ABS, so provided the car doesn't sell before then, I will be in good shape.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #115
CTScott
ULTIMATE

So, I test drove the 08 Yaris Sedan with ABS today. Unfortunately, the dealership that had it requires a salesperson to come along on all test drives. After we returned, my wife even asked if just she and I could take it out again to discuss the purchase. The salesman explained that riding along is an official policy, so we could not.

We were so close - My wife had my gear stashed in her pocketbook, so if we could have had the car alone for 2 minutes I could have gotten the data.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #116
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Salesperson probably thought you and your wife were gonna steal it or do some hanky panky. lol.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:46 PM   #117
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Salesperson probably thought you and your wife were gonna steal it or do some hanky panky. lol.
That's exactly what I said to my wife. She thinks we should go back for another test drive with the two kids, so the sales dude won't fit.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #118
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Aw damn.....that sucks

Maybe another dealership...or when that salesperson isn't working perhaps....I know some other salesperson won't mind it...

If you find a Liftback, i doubt the salesperson would want to cram back in the back seats....
Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #119
advocate

Drives: car
Great attempt nonetheless Scott.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:05 AM   #120
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
Great attempt nonetheless Scott.
seriously, i dont know anyone who would risk doing something like that AND bring the wife along as an accomplice lol. Least she cant say, "honey, you never do anything with me" and next time bringing the kids? Thats commitment to our community :)

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #121
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

CTScott, is the maintenance light connected to the odometer or some sort of sensor where it detects engine level of engine oil and fluids?

Seeing that the stock cluster adds the miles from what was achieved w/ the RS cluster...i figure i could slap the RS cluster in and after 3 weeks of driving w/ RS cluster on, i could swap the 07 cluster in and see if my maintenance light goes on or not~ I could overcome the odometer not functioning w/ this possibly....

Just an idea....
Old 12-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #122
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
CTScott, is the maintenance light connected to the odometer or some sort of sensor where it detects engine level of engine oil and fluids?

Seeing that the stock cluster adds the miles from what was achieved w/ the RS cluster...i figure i could slap the RS cluster in and after 3 weeks of driving w/ RS cluster on, i could swap the 07 cluster in and see if my maintenance light goes on or not~ I could overcome the odometer not functioning w/ this possibly....

Just an idea....
The maintenance light is triggered by the odometer reading. When swapping clusters I don't believe that the maintenance data would come over to another cluster, as that data is only used within the cluster and is not passed to the ECM.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #123
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Oh i see. Hmm...thought I'd ask. *sigh*
Old 01-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #124
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
when i bought my jeep new a while ago, the sales guy was trying to tag along. I told him i dont want him in the car while i discuses the purchase. He said it was policy so i told him hes going to lose the sale. The sales manager came out to see if everything was ok and I told him i wanted to take the car out to discuses the deal and if i couldnt i would find a dealer who would let me. He told the sales guy to go grab a seat while we test drove it.

i would talk to the sales manager or better yet go talk to the fleet department manager or internet sales.

there are usually just one guy / woman and they will just hand you the keys. I had one experience where not only they handed me the keys, they told me to take it for the day!

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #125
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

CTScott, you should try that when you have free time. I think kustom play taking the assertiveness route might work with that dealership...

That is..if the dealership has an 08 w/ABS....
Old 01-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #126
A1phazu1u

Drives: Black 07 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I purchased this speedo from a canadian merchant and i've scanned the gauge to custom mph which i currently have made but can't upload the image of for some reason. This speedo already has the mph conversion on it so there's no need to do the math. I made a custom mph version that i think is pretty precise. all i need to do know is find a place where i can get it screen printed on some opaque plastic so that i can use my cluster. i tried using transperencies from kinkos but those are too transparent.
A1phazu1u is offline   Reply With Quote