Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Question HEAD GASKET ; How long to replace it ( hours ) ?

The TOYOTA sevice center manager says it will take them part of today , tomorrow , and TUESDAY for the fix and want to get it right since it's such a complex job . About a month ago we were told by the mechanic he had done a head gasket job for the YARIS before . Starting to have our doubts . The parts are already there , so that's not an issue for any delay . Dropped the sedan off last night . What's your take on this ? Should we go back tomorrow and see how far along it is . The service manager and mechanic have been rude so far . Sure it would pee them off more by popping in unannounced . THANKS .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
krusty

Drives: 2010 Yaris ce
The time for doing a head gasket under warranty is less than 6 hours, unless they are sending the head out to get checked and that is the delay?
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Having a blown head gasket on a Yaris kind of frightens me! What caused it so early?

In 2009 my 12 year old Chevy Cavalier had a blown head gasket at 90,000 miles. I took it to Car-X at around 9 AM, I had it back the following day around 5 PM. They sent the head out to a machine shop the first day to have it machined.

ETA: I saw your other thread (oil leak). My blown head gasket had to do with the anti-freeze leaking.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Hershey

Not a blown head gasket . Leaks oil from the inside out of the #1 cylinder . The 2010 3 door does too , but not as fast . Here's pictures and info on it , www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29511 . May have internal coolant leak as well .
Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
The two times they replaced my transmission I showed up several times to see how they were doing it. They always get pissed off because they feel that you will tell them what they are doing wrong, you have the right to make sure that your property is fixed properly, don't let the dealer intimidate you
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Hershey

Having a blown head gasket on a Yaris kind of frightens me! What caused it so early?

Maybe it's a faulty gasket , lower block or head ? Started using synthetic in both at around 1,500 miles . We wonder if starting the use of synthetic early could have caused it or only made the existing problem show up sooner . Go here for a YARIS with a head gasket leaking coolant internally into cylinder 1 , www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29511 .
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty View Post
The time for doing a head gasket under warranty is less than 6 hours, unless they are sending the head out to get checked and that is the delay?
The service manager didn't take the time on the phone to explain the reason . Just said it's a complex job and need to get it right and then hung up rather abruptly .
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
The two times they replaced my transmission I showed up several times to see how they were doing it. They always get pissed off because they feel that you will tell them what they are doing wrong, you have the right to make sure that your property is fixed properly, don't let the dealer intimidate you
+ 1 . They're 70 miles away . But still may pop in without notice and see if the sh*t hits the fan .
Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Bear in mind it's Labor Day weekend!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Sounds to me like he wants to make sure it gets done right because you've been such a PITA for him. Let him do his work.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Bear in mind it's Labor Day weekend!
They're open SATURDAY . Closed MONDAY . Open TUESDAY until 8 P.M. .
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Sounds to me like he wants to make sure it gets done right because you've been such a PITA for him. Let him do his work.
only been there 3 times . So , B.I.O.Y.A..
Old 09-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Just let them do their thing, don't call till tues.
Hounding them may make them work SLOWER.....
Hangeth in there.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #14
krolos

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
f**king dealers you can never really trust them.
krolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #15
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Not called Stealerships for no reason.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
It's hard to believe that the head gasket could even blow on the Yaris. The 1.5 in the Yaris is virtually bullet proof. Has to be a rare factory glitch. How many miles do you have?
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
Being rude and pushy is not going to get you anywhere at a dealership. The guy working on your car could have the day off and more than likely there are other cars ahead of you. The service manager doesnt need to see the oil because thats not his job, I bet you that he has 50 other customers he has to call back on top of dealing with techs and service writers and making sure assholes dont trash him on surveys because people come in with a chip on their shoulders about dealerships. Just let them do their job rushed work=mistakes. Why would you drop your car off on labor day weekend anyways and expect to have your car back the next day its not going to happend I'm sure their swamped with other cars.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
True. We are talking about a holiday weekend. Let's appreciate the fact that these techs are working on Saturdays and part of Sunday when you most likely enjoy a day off. This is a big job that will take a bulk of a day and to demand it done during Labor day weekend isn't fair. They probably already had their schedules booked.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote