Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #37
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Good to know. Thanks.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #38
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
oops read it too late, but yeah my fix was just going for razo pedals and it fixes the heel toe issue perfectly.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #39
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
I was finally able to take the Yaris to the track yesterday.

Streets of Willow - Counter Clockwise

No cool action shots this time around, but I do have a boring video of one lap.

Track prep, I changed the both engine and trans oil at 1000 miles. Good ol' 5w-30 Synpower, MT90, and of course the trusty Toyota oil filter.

Hanging out with my buddies:

I'm doing a good job of slowing everyone down

Not my fastest lap as my GoPro stopped recording, but I thought it was a fun one.

https://youtu.be/RC_hwZZER6w

My personal best with the all stock Yaris was a 1:41.2xx

Not bad for all season tires, and no power.

The car definitely needs suspension and tires. Under hard braking the front end dives alot causing the rear end to wobble. Good thing I have the items needed stowed away in the garage.

In the mean time, I finally installed the Tanabe exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, and the TRD drop in. Confirmed the exhaust fits '15+ models, since they don't have the rear lip spoiler w/ exhaust cut out. The rear end looks so much better with an exhaust top exiting out in the proper location.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #40
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
very cool
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 AM   #41
Captain Yaris

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 Dr Super White
This is awesome! Looks and sounds great! Keep the updates coming.
Captain Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #42
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
That car looks badass 😁

Sent from my LG G2 with CM13 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #43
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Thanks guys!

You're hearing the rolla, if you're referring to the video, my car is so quiet lol. Tanabe exhaust does make it more audible, I love the tone. I didn't expect it to be this loud (totally happy that it wasn't as quiet as I expected!). I'll see if I can get some in car audio.

After putting a couple hundred miles after the install I wish I had the turd rear bar at the track, my car had so much body roll without it. The bar does make a difference. I can't wait to get back out to the track! but the car is probably going to be lowered by then. Also, during the rear bar installation, my car did not come equipped with the insulator (I was planning to toss it anyway) everyone talks about.

I finally ordered tires for the RPF1s, and I decided to go with some 195/50 Yokohama S.drives. Since she's mostly a daily, I didn't want to compromise colossal grip for tread life.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:09 PM   #44
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabuu View Post
Also, during the rear bar installation, my car did not come equipped with the insulator (I was planning to toss it anyway) everyone talks about.
It seems they were only used on the 2012-2014 SE models.

Oh, and sweet ride BTW.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #45
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Well, I confirmed my 15x7 +41 RPF1s do not clear the SE's bigger front brakes. :( Test fit with hand tightened lug nuts and the wheel does not move:

As you can see the spokes hit the caliper, but that's not all. The RPF1's barrel tapers into the face and with the bigger calipers, there's no room for sticky weights in the inner barrel, they'll just shear right off if the wheels were spaced out to clear the spokes.

Barrel tapering in:

Bummer.

In brighter news, I installed the Bilsteins and RSR springs...

then it rained on me :P

Perfect low down function and style for a daily driver.

I was able to only achieve -0.7 front camber with SPC bolts. I think I'll order the 3 dot Toyota Crash Bolts. I want -2.5 camber up front.

Met up with some friends, and one of them brought over his 15x8 +36 6ULs, and they clear the front calipers! That clearance!

I love the wheel gap with the 6ULs (225/45). Sucks the RPF1s (195/50) don't fit, the overall diameter is just .1" taller (22.6" vs 22.7"). Now to figure out what wheels to go with for the time being.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #46
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
looks good

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:40 AM   #47
Captain Yaris

Looks great! How easy is it to install coilovers? I have very basic mechanical abilities but I'd love to learn. The thing that kinda freaks me out is the springs.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #48
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Springs always freak me out. I used a Craftsman Strut Spring compressor, its about $50, I got tired of renting it. You just need to compress the spring enough to remove any tension before loosening the nut holding the spring/bearing mount in place. The suspension is the same as the 2nd gens, so find a diy on here and it'll give you the jist. :)

Coilovers are by far easier to install than springs and struts because they come fully assembled making it an R&R job...well, on other vehicles. I think the Yaris coilovers still need some disassembly because you need to reuse the upper bearing, mounts, etc.

In my opinion, the Yaris' front strut set up is more difficult to take apart only because you have to use an allen on the strut to hold the shaft in place while you loosen/tighten the nut. It would suck if that allen gets rounded off, at least the torque isn't that high.

I wish it was a top strut mount with 3 studs instead of one shaft and 2 nuts sandwiching the assembly between the chassis.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #49
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Well, since the RPF1's didn't fit, I went with Plan B. It's about 4lbs heavier than the RPF1s, mainly due to width, but damn do they look good, and most importantly, all that caliper clearance!

15x8 +35 Gramlight 57DR in Magnesium Blue. Wrapped in 205/50R15 Yokohama S.drives.

This set up does poke, I'll get some side shots in the morning. I'm running -0.7 degrees of camber up front, definitely will need more, but I hope I don't rub at my current ride height. We'll find out next track day lol.

I love the Grey and Mag Blue combo.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #50
Captain Yaris

Wow! That looks great!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #51
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Awesome build! Love this setup!
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #52
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Thank you gents!

Well I had a blast today with Team Topak who held an event at Big Willow.

This is the first time I've driven this track, it was a good learning experience in the rain! I was surprised to hit 100mph on the main straight and 95mph through turn 8 lol. I was running in the Beginners group, there was a lot of traffic, so I was able to practice my lines and car control. I was able to have 1 lap that was clear of traffic where I had a personal best of 2:02.9xx :) I'm pretty happy with it especially in the rain! :)

https://youtu.be/UpTU0XRPYbk

How does one embed a youtube video on this forum?

Good news is that the new wheel setup doesn't rub, but I'm planning to still add more negative front camber.

Rain is RWD conversion for our cars.

Last edited by Dabuu; 01-07-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Dabuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #53
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Buying track photos is expensive, but I like to have at least one for every car I take out. :)

My buddy toying with me in his SC300. It was fun until we hit slower traffic. I'll have to upload that video also. :D

Old 01-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #54
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Nice, the photographer got you right in front of the Toyota sign. Looks like a lot of fun. With your new wheels and stance, your car looks more at home on the track now.

What's the red thing on your front grille, driver's side?
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote