Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Lowering springs for 3rd gen

What lowering springs do you guys recommend for a third gen yaris?

Also, I found that you can get springs from TRD for Scion xD, are they also compatible with third gen yaris? I wonder if they are because the rear sway bar is compatible, among many other parts.

Also also, I would like progressive spring rates for the rear, something like how the more you compress it, the stiffer they get, because with my wheel situation in the rear, the tires rub on the top of the rear fender when there is weight in the back (passengers, etc) so I figure with progressive spring rates, I can minimize rub even if it's lowered by limiting suspension travel.

To that end, should I look at rolling my rear fenders too? I hear that's something I can do to minimize rub also.

Thanks guys!
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
To that end, should I look at rolling my rear fenders too? I hear that's something I can do to minimize rub also.
That is wholly dependent on wheel offset and tire width. If light rubbing does occur with your particular wheel/tire setup, adding a small amount of camber is the easiest and least destructive way of eliminating it. Extreme rub will require fender rolling.

Springs? I'm not going there. So many spring threads on this forum. Lots of info to be had since second and third gen are the same.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
That is wholly dependent on wheel offset and tire width. If light rubbing does occur with your particular wheel/tire setup, adding a small amount of camber is the easiest and least destructive way of eliminating it. Extreme rub will require fender rolling.

Adding camber to the rear suspension is pretty limited though, right? It's not an adjustable suspension beyond those flimsy hub shims. Also, I would rather have light rub over visible differences in camber.

Is rolling the fenders an intense job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
m.flores.0928

Also, my tires are 195/55/15 on factory steelies with spacers. 25mm front spacers and 35mm rear spacers. No rub in the front, some in the rear if I hit bumps real hard or steep driveways.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
I'm running Tein S-tech lowering springs that are for the Scion XD on my 2014 Yaris. I chose these because they are progressive and the rates for the rear are higher on the Scion XD springs, not by much but it would make a difference if you're packing people in the back.

If rubbing is an issue you could run a smaller series tire or go to a reputable shop that would roll the edges of the fenders. Shops around my area use fender rolling tools and a heat gun to not crack the paint. Make sure you take it to a shop that knows how to do it right and wont bacon the shit out of the fender.
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTK808 View Post
I'm running Tein S-tech lowering springs that are for the Scion XD on my 2014 Yaris. I chose these because they are progressive and the rates for the rear are higher on the Scion XD springs, not by much but it would make a difference if you're packing people in the back.

If rubbing is an issue you could run a smaller series tire or go to a reputable shop that would roll the edges of the fenders. Shops around my area use fender rolling tools and a heat gun to not crack the paint. Make sure you take it to a shop that knows how to do it right and wont bacon the shit out of the fender.

Aha so they do work! Awesome. I'll look into those.

I prefer this size tire, I had to special order them from the tire shop I went to, I want to work around the tires I have now. I'll hunt around for a body shop around here.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Also, my tires are 195/55/15 on factory steelies with spacers. 25mm front spacers and 35mm rear spacers. No rub in the front, some in the rear if I hit bumps real hard or steep driveways.
So you are essentially running with an effective offset of +12 in the rear. With an average drop of say 1.5", no amount of achievable rolling is going to eliminate rubbing.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
So you are essentially running with an effective offset of +12 in the rear. With an average drop of say 1.5", no amount of achievable rolling is going to eliminate rubbing.

Hmmmm. Then are there any stiffer springs that won't lower the car? I like the stance of it now, I don't necessarily want to lower it, I just want to alleviate some of the rub and keep the look of it now. I'm planning on a rear sway bar too.

Duh, now that I think of it, I might have to get coilovers for this because you can use coilovers to maintain factory ride height, yea?

Old 05-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #9
KenTK808

Drives: 2014 Yaris LE
H&R Sport springs are suppose to be a minimal drop with a little stiffer rate, also progressive
KenTK808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTK808 View Post
H&R Sport springs are suppose to be a minimal drop with a little stiffer rate, also progressive

Nice. I'll give those a look.

Coilovers are great and they offer a huge range of adjustability. Thing is, their capabilities are way more than I need so I can't justify the price. I'm stubborn and I don't want to sacrifice the current look of my car. I always hated that "sucked in" look where the wheels looked sucked into the fender. I understand why they do that but I always liked a flush look where the wheels are flush with the body panels, if not even maybe stick out a bit, hence the spacers.

Objectively it's a bad idea and I know that but I'm willing to take that sacrifice, but I do want to minimize rub as best as I can. I guess in that regard I'm a little bit like those "stance nation" guys. However, I don't like excessive camber or excessive lowering.

Side note, I am looking for good looking 15x7 set of wheels that I can use my existing tires on, but have the same effective offset as I have now minus the spacers (and hideous hubcaps)

Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #11
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i had scion xd eibach prokits on my yaris...

Tags
lowering, springs, tire rub